How long should conditioner remain in your hair?

MickinMD

How long do you let the conditioner work on your hair. applying it after shampooing in the shower?

Super Bowl Party, Sunday.

Sister-in-law: Mickey, are you doing something different with your hair?

Me: Yeah, I washed it.

SIL: It looks so good: silky and silvery and shiny.

Me: When I shower, I shampoo then put conditioner in my hair and then begin washing the rest of me with soap while the conditioner goes to work.

But the soap was only a 1/8" thick and 1" wide piece - the last of a bar of Dial soap, so it took me longer to wash.

I guess that gave the conditioner plenty of time to go to work.

Me now: I guess I should let the conditioner (cheap Walmart store brand) work longer so it just doesn't feel smooth and silky in my hands, but looks it as well.

• Heart 1

Good question.  Until recently I have been using a shampoo/conditioner like @Chris... alludes to. My hair, what little is left, was looking frizzy. I switched to a conditioner and it looks better. I've only been leaving it on for a few seconds though. I'm going to leave it on longer and see how that works. 

11 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Good question.  Until recently I have been using a shampoo/conditioner like @Chris... alludes to. My hair, what little is left, was looking frizzy. I switched to a conditioner and it looks better. I've only been leaving it on for a few seconds though. I'm going to leave it on longer and see how that works. 

I used to use the 2 in 1, but the same lady who recommended the conditioner said to not use shampoo everyday as that is hard on the hair and scalp. 

58 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I buy the biggest bottle of name brand shampoo I can from Costco and get about six months out of it.  I've never figured out conditioner :( despite doing a leave in for several minutes approach in the past. I'm fine not using it.

Same here, except not from Costco, and keep it in reserve for when my motel samples run out.:whistle: I never pick up the conditioners at motels. I use to travel more than I do now.

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Minimum three minutes with conditioner in hair or it just doesn’t work.  

Fast shower people do yet something else wrong.  Something wrong with people that rush a shower for no reason.  

I am a fast shower guy.  Get in, get wet, wash hair, wash body, including between toes, rinse, get out.  

5 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Minimum three minutes with conditioner in hair or it just doesn’t work.  

Fast shower people do yet something else wrong.  Something wrong with people that rush a shower for no reason.  

Thanks! 3 minutes! That's probably the same timing I had due to that thin bar of soap.  I usually rinse it out after about a minute after washing my face, ears, and neck, then work on the rest of me. I'm going to start washing feet to head and then rinsing it out.