gym jam

late

I set up my trainer a few days ago, and screwed up. Bike fell off the trainer, I fell down, hurt my knee a little more.

Been going to the same gym for about 30 years. It's changed hands 4 or 5 times. I went there this morning, and they didn't have exercycles anymore. Spin bikes and recumbents and I can't use either.

Came home, set up the trainer, used it for about 5 minutes. My right knee felt tight, but started to loosen up. But I don't feel secure on the trainer now.

There's a nice gym, but it's located 12 miles away, and it's situated in such a way that you want to use the turnpike to get there.

That leaves Planet Fitness, it's almost next door to TJ's. They have a bunch of exercycles, apparently the only place less than 10 miles that does. If you haven't been there, it's cheap. You never want to shower at a lot of gyms, but I found the buggies to be especially aggressive there. It's not bad, but it doesn't feel like a gym to me.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, late said:

I went there this morning, and they didn't have exercycles anymore. Spin bikes and recumbents and I can't use either.

What's your issue with those two alternatives?  Is it a specific exercycle you like, and you can't find the right position on the spin or recumbents?  I don't like the recumbents but think I can swap relatively easily between a traditional exercise bike and a spin bike.

But, yeah, I'd opt for 1) the trainer and then 2) Plant Fitness before 3) driving 12 miles to a gym.  I think there have been studies about gym distance and folks attendance, and it is pretty grim.

12 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Make sure you always wear your helmet.

I always wear a helmet outside. But inside is a bit silly..

I have a really good trainer, but I think I will get one that has better stability.

• Awesome 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

What's your issue with those two alternatives?  Is it a specific exercycle you like, and you can't find the right position on the spin or recumbents?  I don't like the recumbents but think I can swap relatively easily between a traditional exercise bike and a spin bike.

But, yeah, I'd opt for 1) the trainer and then 2) Plant Fitness before 3) driving 12 miles to a gym.  I think there have been studies about gym distance and folks attendance, and it is pretty grim.

Recumbents have bothered my knees for a long time. I have had many knee injuries.

My right knee is pathetic, you occasionally get things wrong on a spin bike, the flywheel jerks your leg, I suspect that's a bad idea for me now. My ACL is gone, and there's other damage in addition to that.

Just now, late said:

It all comes down to speed at impact.

So how fast do you go on a trainer??

I hate to go all Mick on you but your head is the same height off the floor as it would be from the pavement. I once pulled up to a stop sign, forgot to unclip, fell over, and my head whipped into the pavement. Good thing there wasn't a coffee table there.

13 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I hate to go all Mick on you but your head is the same height off the floor as it would be from the pavement. I once pulled up to a stop sign, forgot to unclip, fell over, and my head whipped into the pavement. Good thing there wasn't a coffee table there.

Not really worried about that. I've fallen off a trainer a couple of times, and didn't have that as a problem.

However, my right knee is a wreck, and I will see if I can get another trainer by next winter.

I cannot tip my trainer..he is solid like a rock..however I have threatened to make him a soprano  once or twice.

I am at Planet Fitness..I have their fancy memberships $21.50 a month but I also have an annual fee Feb 1 of something like $48. I am thinking about going somewhere else..there is a locally owned place 3 miles away at $50  a month senior discount...it has been awhile but I think Anytime Fitness is $40ish. There is another cheapie Experience? I think..Snap another chain and some other local places but more $$$..I havent checked out LA fitness..more money and trendy..not my thing.

A good reasonable priced gym is hard to find.I contemplate buying stuff and exercising at home...but ....

I do have my bike on a trainer in my den..only use the bike at my trainers facility..it is also a pt facility and the bike does adjust small enough..in most gyms they do not...

• Heart 1