There I was almost ready to go to sleep

Scrapr

And my ring doorbell goes off on my phone alerting me there is someone at the door. This is about 11:15 pm. We have a quiet street and they have been rolled up for hours. Here is the video. I called 911 because we have several widows and singles living alone.....including me!  He takes a looonnngg look inside. Glad WoScrapr isn't here. Her late night spot was the couch in the front room

Police find him and I guess he was looking for an address on the other side of the highway. Not sure I believe the story but he got rousted so maybe he won't go peeking in windows

It's going to take a while to go to sleep now

• Heart 3

A guy began knocking on my door around 1 am last year, asking for $10 to get to his home in South Baltimore. I didn't open the door but could see he was in his 20's. I told him it was a 6 mile walk, I had done it a number of times, and it would take him less than 2 hours.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

I hate it when someone knocks in the middle of the night.  It usually means animals are out.... not always ours. They just wake anyone they can.

Most of my neighbors don’t get excited about their animals getting out. They usually don’t go far. My yard seems to be a popular place to hang out. I have two neighbors who are not Amish, if I see their livestock out I’ll give them a call and let them know. The one neighbor raises expensive black angus breeding stock. He is quick to respond when some of his stock is missing.

i got a ring doorbell for Christmas, I should see if I can figure out how to set it up.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

The sound of a pump shotgun chambering a round would probably get him off the front porch pretty rapidly. 

That's my problem, all I have are bolt action, semi automatic and an old break action.  I have to really try to make noise without pulling the trigger.

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

That backpack is probably full of stolen goods.  Creepy.

Or break in tools.

We have a ring doorbell too.  We had a guy come to the house one morning after I left for work.  He rang the doorbell and my wife checked and watched him(she was in the kitchen).  He tried looking in the windows and then tried the doorknob!

She called me and I tracked down some guys working in the area and theyvpicked him up.  Apparently that is his MO is to check houses in the day and see if front door are accidentaly left open and if they are he steals stuff.  If someone answers he would ask for directions.

He was charged and convicted and sent back to prison (he had just gotten out).  And was in his late '60's!

I couldnt even call him a little jeezler

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Or break in tools.

We have a ring doorbell too.  We had a guy come to the house one morning after I left for work.  He rang the doorbell and my wife checked and watched him(she was in the kitchen).  He tried looking in the windows and then tried the doorknob!

She called me and I tracked down some guys working in the area and theyvpicked him up.  Apparently that is his MO is to check houses in the day and see if front door are accidentaly left open and if they are he steals stuff.  If someone answers he would ask for directions.

He was charged and convicted and sent back to prison (he had just gotten out).  And was in his late '60's!

I couldnt even call him a little jeezler

people are crap

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Airehead said:

That backpack is probably full of stolen goods.  Creepy.

7 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Or break in tools.

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

people are crap

But " Police find him and I guess he was looking for an address on the other side of the highway. "

I'm fairly sure the cops would do a cursory check on the guy?

I do assume he was up to no good, but really, he could just be 1) lost, or 2) high/drunk.  Neither are automatically "crappy" things.  Generally, if you're stealing stuff, I doubt you ring the doorbell to alert folks you are there stealing things?  That's more a daytime B&E sort of thing when they expect folks to be at work, but ring just in case. 

32 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Generally, if you're stealing stuff, I doubt you ring the doorbell to alert folks you are there stealing things?  That's more a daytime B&E sort of thing when they expect folks to be at work, but ring just in case

Wrong.  Crooks have learned over time to ring first regardless of day or night, because it is easier to explain than after you have forced a door open and people are inside.

And likely he didnt ring, these doorbells are motion activated.  It triggers when he walks up.  The deer set mine off in the night on a regular basis.

Dollars to doughnuts he was casing the place

2 hours ago, Indy said:

That's my problem, all I have are bolt action, semi automatic and an old break action.  I have to really try to make noise without pulling the trigger.

My cousin's husband kept an inactive shotgun in his house.  Stock was removed to save space.  Would not shoot but you could still operate the slide to make it sound like you just chanmbered a round.   He kept if for the purpose outlined above.  

Police made it sound as if he was a bit disoriented. Maybe a bit drunk if you watch him leave and take the 1 step a bit shaky. We have had some thefts in our alley last Spring/Summer. The house on the corner got hit 2 or three times. But it was mostly plants.Who steals plants?  But a nice hammock too. I called 911 because I at least wanted his name noted. Perhaps that will deter him from our neighborhood. He may have been homeless, don't know. There is a family homeless shelter a half mile away & the jail/911 center/warming shelter/halfway house is about the same distance the other way. I was surprised at the fast response by police. They had found him and called me within about 10-15 minutes

He did not ring the doorbell. Or try the door knob. Just walked right up & stepped up to look in the window. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

Police made it sound as if he was a bit disoriented. Maybe a bit drunk if you watch him leave and take the 1 step a bit shaky. We have had some thefts in our alley last Spring/Summer. The house on the corner got hit 2 or three times. But it was mostly plants.Who steals plants?  But a nice hammock too. I called 911 because I at least wanted his name noted. Perhaps that will deter him from our neighborhood. He may have been homeless, don't know. There is a family homeless shelter a half mile away & the jail/911 center/warming shelter/halfway house is about the same distance the other way. I was surprised at the fast response by police. They had found him and called me within about 10-15 minutes

He did not ring the doorbell. Or try the door knob. Just walked right up & stepped up to look in the window. 

He would have left my place with a more pronounced limp.  :) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

I wonder if they frisked and/or searched his stuff?  It would be pretty obvious if he had burglary tools in his bag or it was full of loot.  I'm guessing a standard stop by cops for suspicion of drunk and disorderly or public intoxication would involve some sort of search - at least for weapons - but maybe not?

I wonder what folks can see through a window in the middle of the night?  Probably some ambient light and his eyes would be adjusted to the dark? Do you leave lights on that would help someone outside see inside during the dark of night?