Forgot to mention that the bulls will be on Main Street on Friday

sheep_herder

2 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Rented out a lot of my pasture so not raising cattle any more.  We got a few sheep for wool for my wife and for grandkids 4H.  When is the ram sale?

September, but they don't sell your breed. Of course, you could buy some ewes and a ram.

• Heart 1

Our ewes are related to most of the best Shetlands in the midwest.  Our ram came from breeding from North Carolina. Reserve Grand Champion at Indiana State Fair and Michigan Fiber Festival. We can use him one more year before we have his offspring and need something else.  Already have a deal made with the farm who owns the one who beat him at both shows for a possible trade with them at that time.  It will be good for both of us since they are unrelated to our ewes.  Most of the ewes we both have are closely related.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

And in traffic.. "We have total gridlock in the city centre today as roads are down to one lane, each direction." 

Those lanes are strictly for the trucks and trailers delivering the bulls.  Yes, they block off a major highway for the area for this event, just like they do for street dances.  That doesn't happen everywhere in the USA.:rolleyes:

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Those lanes are strictly for the trucks and trailers delivering the bulls.  Yes, they block off a major highway for the area for this event, just like they do for street dances.  That doesn't happen everywhere in the USA.:rolleyes:

I have been in Paris when they close the Champs for foot traffic only.  One Sunday every month in the summer.  It is fun to walk down the centre to the Arch.  Closed roads also create good experiences. 

• Heart 1

Nice day for the show.  Looks like they only got a dusting of snow this morning, whereas we got a bit more. We'll have to consider moseying down later today.

If you go, try to stand in the view of the camera.  I misplaced the screen shot that I had of you when you were at the parade.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, the more severe weather conditions have been tracking west of us.  Fellow told me that Walmart trucks have been delayed coming to Miles City due to heavy snow in central Wyoming.

It looks like the weather is dominated by a high pressure zone up in Canada. With the stationary front and a northwest flow, it looks like your sale should go on without a hitch.

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Lots of activity now.  Fork lift bring in what may be bales of straw and young men stacking them by pens.  

Yep, things are progressing nicely.  I need to think about moving some vehicles and bring some hay to the yard with the tractor.  Late night with more lambs, but all was well when my wife checked earlier.  That was nice, as it gave me time to eat breakfast.  My muffin and coffee were tasty. Y'all have fun today and stay safe, dry, and warm.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, sheep_herder said:

Yep, things are progressing nicely.  I need to think about moving some vehicles and bring some hay to the yard with the tractor.  Late night with more lambs, but all was well when my wife checked earlier.  That was nice, as it gave me time to eat breakfast.  My muffin and coffee were tasty. Yall have fun today and stay safe, dry, and warm.

I will.  I slept in today.  Our youngest is getting day off from school and going to Little Rock Arknansas with his rugby team to play in a tournament and get some practice time with a college rugby coach.  Did not get out of bed until 7:15 and did not get to the office until 8:30 ish.

9 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I worked on some stuff in the garage, shoveled snow a couple of times, checked on the operations for today's show. You know, the highlight of the day will be the ATV races around the pens. I don't mind tellin' ya, it's exciting.

Well, you never know if some of the bulls try to escape.  There was the one year, where some were trying to get into the Stockman Bank.  Some of these bulls are brought in from a range setting and have not developed any 'town' manners. We shall see what happens this year.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Well, you never know if some of the bull try to escape.  There was the one year, where some were trying to get into the Stockman Bank.  Some of these bulls are brought in from a range setting and have not developed any 'town' manners. We shall see what happens this year.

Yep, you need a good dog. That's for sure.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Lots of bulls in a tiny pen. How do they keep them calm and from busting out?  

I assume the street sweepers are coming out tomorrow?  

They have butchers and people eating steaks and hamburgers walking around telling the bulls that act up "Watch It Buster or you are next!" 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Lots of bulls in a tiny pen. How do they keep them calm and from busting out?  

I assume the street sweepers are coming out tomorrow?  

Town is well equipped for street sweeping.  All will be clean after the show.  They have only had a few incidents with rowdy bulls over the many years they have had this show.  Most bulls have been around people and worked in close quarters, as many are from herds that will be having bull sales during February and March. This is just another way for the folks to advertise their products. Similar, but different from taking them to stock shows and/or fairs. This is not their first rodeo.

28 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Town is well equipped for street sweeping.  All will be clean after the snow.  They have only had a few incidents with rowdy bulls over the many years they have had this show.  Most bulls have been around people and worked in close quarters, as many are from herds that will be having bull sales during February and March. This is just another way for the folks to advertise their products. Similar, but different from taking them to stock shows and/or fairs. This is not their first rodeo.

Wait a minute. That's free fertilizer!! 

1 minute ago, smudge said:

Wait a minute. That's free fertilizer!! 

Can't remember, they may actually use a scoop and dump truck for the first pass before the street sweepers. I am usually busy doing other things by that phase of the show. We are normally pretty busy after 3:00pm around here.