Old Bay

Parsnip Totin Jack

Is a spice blend sold by McCormick, a Baltimore based company. Generally it is used to season crabs and shrimp but can be found on many other foods including Bloody Marys. Last week, McCormick released an Old Bay hot sauce. The initial limited supply sold out within hours. My local Wegmans received a shipment on Saturday and sold most of the stock by Sunday. I found a bottle there Monday morning. $3.49. It’s good, I will make some wings this weekend and use the new stuff. Someone from B-more is offering a bottle on FB marketplace for $49. Even if I didn’t snag a bottle I wouldn’t pay that crazy markup. 

86E1F76E-586B-4859-B584-CBDDE68B2DC6.png

• Heart 2

Just now, Wilbur said:

My FIL used Old Bay seasoning.  I have always regarded it as seasoning for people who don't know how to season. 

It’s commonly used on seafood in the DC metro area but I have never had it on seafood anywhere else.  It’s pretty good on shrimp & crab.  

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I might try that later after the furor dies down. Not sure how good that will be but worth a try. BTW, I was a tad surprised that old bay chips are not as good as I expected. The flavor just didn’t mesh that well with chips. 

I agree with you on the chips. The sauce is quite good, I think you will like it. I’ve tried it on eggs yesterday. Good flavor. 

1 hour ago, Old#7 said:

What can you expect from a non-believer. Blue crabs and steamed shrimp wouldn’t be the same without it.

47 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

True, I do not believe in commercial seasoning mixes. 

I have mixed feelings on this.  

Old Bay on shrimp & crab is good and is a go to when we are visiting family in NOVA. But Dungenese crabs are never served in it out here and shrimp is still awesome without Old Bay. 

I guess I’ll have to have a crab & shrimp boil, one batch with & one without!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Old#7 said:

I agree with you on the chips. The sauce is quite good, I think you will like it. I’ve tried it on eggs yesterday. Good flavor. 

It’s just hard to think of old bay as anything other than flaky, sort of like red pepper flakes.  But I will give it the old college try if and when the fuss subsides. 

I am from the shore.  Old Bay is in my blood.  I need some of this.  I know that many restaurants don't actually use Old BAy they use the generic J.O. No 2 seasoning.  I also don't care for the potato chips but oh my gosh, the Old Bay cheese curls are one of the best junk foods ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have mixed feelings on this.  

Old Bay on shrimp & crab is good and is a go to when we are visiting family in NOVA. But Dungenese crabs are never served in it out here and shrimp is still awesome without Old Bay. 

I guess I’ll have to have a crab & shrimp boil, one batch with & one without!

Personally, I wouldn’t use it on Dungeness crab, that has a different flavor than blue crab and has larger chunks of meat. Blue crabs are smaller, I can eat a dozen or more and only one Dungeness.

• Heart 1

My introduction to Old Bay coincided with the best scallops I've had.

We were having an extended family vacation down on the Carolina beach. My sis in law & I bought a bunch of shrimp & scallops fresh off the dock where they unloaded the boats. The guy that sold them recommended Old Bay, he had such a thick accent that we really didn't understand him, but he got the message across, Old Bay & butter & scallops. 

We broiled them in the condo with the Old Bay & butter.....that was at least 20 years ago and we still talk about that meal    :loveshower:   

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

I use Old Bay whenever I want a little spicy but not really hot seasoning with tuna salad, fish filets, chicken, etc. - there's even an Utz Old Bay Potato Chip.

But if I'm steaming live crabs at home, I generally buy the store's or roadside stand guy's seasoning mix instead of using Old Bay + Salt.  In a pinch, Old Bay is fine though - the crabs jump around a little in the pot when they get hit with it.  Then you have to hold the lid on tight for a couple minutes as you begin steaming them until the heat overcomes them.

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I saw the reviews that it left Frank’s Red Hot in the dust. Frank’s isn’t my favorite hot sauce, but very ubiquitous, so it’s nice to have a new option.

This is my go to these days, Cholula Chipotle.  Not really high on the heat index but a great smoky flavor.  Maybe give it a try next time you go to the LGS.E13D8ADE-CE1F-4BEB-85EC-95921ECCCC37.thumb.png.2a860cce6bdd51a5cc0bb2db01e2aad2.png

12 hours ago, ChrisL said:

It’s commonly used on seafood in the DC metro area but I have never had it on seafood anywhere else.  It’s pretty good on shrimp & crab.  

That or Crab Boil are used commonly in the South.  That is one of my complaints when they serve crawfish and boiled shrimp at events in Billings is that there seasoning is not what I am use to or prefer. It just doesn't taste like it does in South Texas or Louisiana.

• Heart 1