Acting Criminal

Dottleshead

So the lock on my mailbox failed. I had to order a new one from the company and they of course mailed it to me knowing I can't open my mailbox. Their solution is to drill out the anti-drill lock. Go figure. When I called and asked about that, they told me that anti-drill was for the 'quick' thieves and that I was just to have patience. Well I got my kobalt drill bit and now have to be patient in the rain as I break into my own mailbox all gangsta like. I'm hoping scrapr isn't filming it and calling the cops.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Dottles said:

So the lock on my mailbox failed. I had to order a new one from the company and they of course mailed it to me knowing I can't open my mailbox. Their solution is to drill out the anti-drill lock. Go figure. When I called and asked about that, they told me that anti-drill was for the 'quick' thieves and that I was just to have patience. Well I got my kobalt drill bit and now have to be patient in the rain as I break into my own mailbox all gangsta like. I'm hoping scrapr isn't filming it and calling the cops.

I had a similar issue a few years ago. We have one of those community mail boxes where 20 boxes are in one big box in a central location. My lock froze and we couldn’t get our mail out.  I waited for the mail carrier to open the back so I could twist it open from the inside with pliers & lube it but she wouldn’t let me do it while she was there.  I then asked her for our mail since it was piling up, even showed her my license with the correct address and she wouldn’t give it to me?  

She said I had to go to the post office & report the issue. I did, was told it’s a community box not theres they don’t control it...  I called the association, they told me what lock to get & how to replace it but need the mail carrier to open the back.  Yeah right... So I went to Home Depot, got the lock and drilled out the old one & replaced it.

Not sure if the carrier was following procedure or just being a bitch but she was a notch above worthless...

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I never even knew locking mailboxes were a thing. Is it common to have people steal mail where you live? If anyone wants my mail they can have it 95% of the time. They would have to steal a ton of junk mail before they would get something that I wanted. I occasionally order something online that is small enough they put it in the mailbox but it’ snot something anyone would want to steal. 

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I never even knew locking mailboxes were a thing. Is it common to have people steal mail where you live? If anyone wants my mail they can have it 95% of the time. They would have to steal a ton of junk mail before they would get something that I wanted. I occasionally order something online that is small enough they put it in the mailbox but it’ snot something anyone would want to steal. 

I have not heard of it on my neighborhood block but yeah, these asshats will miss nothing if given an opportunity.  It's mainly Amazon drop offs outside the mailbox but I see a lot of reports on the news that somebody had their mail stolen.  Sometimes we get small valuables dropped in our mailbox.  Sometimes checks from refunds.  I sent a large check by mail the other day and the target didn't receive it.  So I'm hoping it was returned to sender.  If so and somebody could get in there and figure out how to cash it, my dad is out $7000. 

I noticed along all the rural roads around here that many have them.  They aren't bulletproof but they are a deterrent.  Why spend time and hassle cracking into my box when the one right next to it you can just open the door?

14 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

LJ, what you have learned here the past couple days is that folks need to live near me or you. Otherwise, they better be ready to build a fortress and man the turrets.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

So... I've given up for the day.  I've got a single 1/4 drill bit that couldn't make the initial puncture so I'm going to by an 1/8 or smaller and try again tomorrow.

You could just pick the lock. Probably quick task for a guy like you.

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

But the replacement lock was about $30 and the drill bit was $6 and I'll have to buy another one -- so I'll be into $40+.  And no guarantees I can do it. But hey, I took a morning of work and got to stand in the rain.

Sometimes when using a screw/bolt extractor I have had to hammer the end into the stripped screw head to get that nice bit of bite for the extractor to "grab" some metal.  Would it be possible to do the same?  Find a sharp nail or similar, center in the lock opening, and hammer the hell out of it? Then use the drill and bit to get in there?

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Sometimes when using a screw/bolt extractor I have had to hammer the end into the stripped screw head to get that nice bit of bite for the extractor to "grab" some metal.  Would it be possible to do the same?  Find a sharp nail or similar, center in the lock opening, and hammer the hell out of it? Then use the drill and bit to get in there?

It might. It's a good idea but now I need to get ready and go to work. There's a hardware store along the way... so I probably will pick up the smaller bit.

33 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Out here they are common in townhouse/condo communities.  In traditional single family home neighborhoods they just have a traditional mail box like your thinking of.

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

It's too late to pick it, the damage is too extensive. It's a wafer type lock with 12 wafers. I can see why the kid liked a hammer drill.

I'm going to call them right now.  Again, I drilled through with a 1/4 bit yesterday and I just may have to do it with a larger bit.  That's really the only thing in my attack arsonal I've got left.  I mean if a larger drill bit doesn't do it -- what the eff am I supposed to do?

Definitely nothing left to pick.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Eventually you are going to need a bigger hammer.

someone had to say it.

I just called them.  They said to use a larger bit.  I figured.  There is a screw on the backend holding it all together.  You have to get rid of that screw.  Apparently I have not destroyed all of it.  It's difficult to see so all I can really do is use a wider bit.

I want my mail, Max.  Can you fly out?  I'll buy you a soda.

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I just called them.  They said to use a larger bit.  I figured.  There is a screw on the backend holding it all together.  You have to get rid of that screw.  Apparently I have not destroyed all of it.  It's difficult to see so all I can really do is use a wider bit.

I want my mail, Max.  Can you fly out?  I'll buy you a soda.

I can, but I can't bring the laser cutter with me.  If I could, you'd first have to build a foundation to hold it.  Then surrounding walls to protect the neighbors.  Maybe a roof to keep it dry.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I can, but I can't bring the laser cutter with me.  If I could, you'd first have to build a foundation to hold it.  Then surrounding walls to protect the neighbors.  Maybe a roof to keep it dry.

What if I offered you a cherry red soda? I understand it's Mick's favorite.

3 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I'd say just take it easy and keep at it. Even with a smaller bit, drill until there isn't anything left to drill.

VmG3zQNr-4OQxpxBALBi3DQTMReHhfp2uwLZL8lo

My drill is battery operated. I only get so many minutes of operation. My friend's drill is not. I'm just hoping I have enough electrical extension to make it to the mailboxes which is a ways from my power outlet.

28 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I mean if a larger drill bit doesn't do it -- what the eff am I supposed to do?

First drill all the way through. Then you might be able to reach in with a big screwdriver or allen wrench. In which case, assuming you can get good purchase, you may be able to twist the lock open.