Comb overs and hair cover ups

Dirtyhip

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

The right side of my part is getting a swath of gray hair.  I recently changed the part to the other side, and rolled back 10 years.  

Hurray for staying brunette.

I can't color it, but this will work for a while to not look gray. 

Was “can’t” a typo or is there some other reason why you can’t color your hair?  WOChrisL would be salt & pepper is she didn’t color her hair and she’s probably a few years older than you. It really shows in dark hair so she started in her late 30’s.

Just now, maddmaxx said:

No politics please.  B)

I wasn't talking politics.  

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Was “can’t” a typo or is there some other reason why you can’t color your hair?  WOChrisL would be salt & pepper is she didn’t color her hair and she’s probably a few years older than you. It really shows in dark hair so she started in her late 30’s.

Toxic dyes are no longer welcome on my body.  It's a pretty intense carcinogen. I colored my hair a few times and after I got MS, I just felt that I could not afford the chemical exposure.

• Heart 3
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I wasn't talking politics.  

Toxic dyes are no longer welcome on my body.  It's a pretty intense carcinogen. I colored my hair a few times and after I got MS, I just felt that I could not afford the chemical exposure.

Very wise of you my friend. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I always said, if I started going bald, I'd just shave it.  I have a lot of hair, but a lot of bald spots, so I just buzz it once a week.

The less hair you have, the shorter you should cut it is a nice rule to live by.  

Nice avatar btw.....

• Heart 2

I just had my 3rd reaction to a hair dye..first time I didn't think about it being a reaction..2nd time I knew it was..we did a skin test with a different product..I didn't notice a reaction to the test..but yeah 3rd reaction last Wednesday..itch..puffy eyes and a headache...No more heavy duty dye for me..my stylist might look for henna or something with out the PBwhatever that is so toxic...but men If I could go white..I'd go for it.

• Awesome 1

35 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Easy on the name calling, baldy!  

Had a flashback. When my daughter was around 2 or 3 we were at our local fair and there was a group of Hells Angels looking dudes. Leather vests, goatee’s tats the works.  Daughter sees the first dude, points and said daddy, look a baldy head!!!!

Im thinking oh shit this is gonna get interesting... Dude busts up laughing and all his buddies start laughing calling him baldy head.  Me thinking whew, that turned out better than I thought...

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

The right side of my part is getting a swath of gray hair.  I recently changed the part to the other side, and rolled back 10 years.  

Hurray for staying brunette.

I can't color it, but this will work for a while to not look gray. 

Why can't you color it?  When I was teaching and started to seriously go gray, I started using Just for Men every 3-4 weeks. My female coworkers said a slightly dark-brown shade looked really good on me so I didn't try to replace my original off-black.  I left a little gray alongside the temples so the new gray hair growing out was less noticeable.  Other teachers and administrators said I looked 10 years younger.

Right now, the hair on my head is almost 100% silver-white and I like it.  At age 69, having a full head of hair makes me look young enough.

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Brunette and red colored hair dye is loaded with carcinogenic chemicals.  No thanks.  

I was gonna suggest two words: "beet juice", but then I googled natural hair coloring and got this story.  Besides tea(!), it suggested "BEET AND CARROT JUICE", but I think maybe this one would work for you too:

7. WALNUT SHELLS

If you want to secure a dark brown color, this is the natural way to go for dyeing. Crush the walnut shells and boil for about half an hour. Cool, strain, and apply to hair. If you’re wanting to cover grays, you can use a cotton ball to apply only to those areas where it’s needed. Again, be careful as this dye will stain everything, so take precautions.

To create a more intense dye, return the strained juice to the heat and boil until it’s simmered down to about a quarter of the original volume. Allow to cool in the refrigerator, strain if needed, and pour through hair.

To save time, use walnut powder instead of the shells.

Let sit for at least an hour (more if you want more color), and rinse. Try to avoid really hot water as it can take the color away. Wash in lukewarm to make the color last longer.

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Brunette and red colored hair dye is loaded with carcinogenic chemicals.  No thanks.  

I’ll tell that to my SIL.  They were over for the SB and she asked why I don’t color my hair & beard.  Because I’m not a chick was my response...   Next time I’ll go with carcinogenic chemicals are bad dontcha know... 

Funny that she is gluten free, organic, and every other fad diet you can think of but puts cancerous chemicals on her scalp!

We had a coworker who sprayed his thin hair.  He thought we had no clue.  Seriously?  One day we gave him a piece of cardboard cut like an oval with a hole in the middle, told him it was a shield.  "What for?".   He figured it out when he finally went to the men's room and saw the run of escaped color down his cheek.  He was PO'd.  So we made him some more shields.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Funny that she is gluten free, organic, and every other fad diet you can think of but puts cancerous chemicals on her scalp!

Don’t go with Walnut shells either. They are more toxic than chemical hair color. Walnut trees are so toxic they even kill surrounding trees with their toxins. If you work with walnut lumber you need a good respirator.

42 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My hair has been white since before I turned thirty. My wife said I inherited that from my mom. I told her I lived with my mom for twenty years and didn’t have white hair. I lived with you for four years and my hair is pure white. Don’t blame my mom.

#mom approved

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

My hair has been white since before I turned thirty. My wife said I inherited that from my mom. I told her I lived with my mom for twenty years and didn’t have white hair. I lived with you for four years and my hair is pure white. Don’t blame my mom.

Pretty much the same for me!

• Awesome 1

6 hours ago, Airehead said:

I earned my gray I am keeping it. 

totally right.  When we get older, it's to be braver, not hiding.

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

None of my sisters have have ever coloured their hair at all. (they are all in their 50's and their hair still looks 99% black). My mother hasn't either but she is totally white @85 yrs.    

I have never coloured my hair.  I actually don't want to invest money and time to colour my hair, chemical exposure and sheer laziness. Don't want the extra conditioners, etc. to treat damaged hair from hair colouring for many years.  I just focus on getting a good hair cut several times annually that fits an active lifestyle..and no concerns about helmet hair.  :) 

I do have some grey strands but not noticeable unless one is sitting close by to me.  So what.  I don't care.

My overall health and general fitness/mobility is top priority to me. Not hair colour.  

• Heart 2