Would you go to a Chinese/Asian restaurant now?

shootingstar

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/yueh-tung-restaurant-coronavirus-fears-decrease-in-customers-1.5455224   So Chinese restaurants across Metro Toronto are seeing business dropping significantly right now.

How is a Chinese restaurant in North America even any different from any other type of restaurant in terms of exposures (if any..)?

• Haha 1

Yes, but the one I go to is owned by and staffed by Hispanics.    Went there earlier this week.

Have a neighbor who is Asian and he and his wife wear masks, due to allergies.  He had to post today on our neighborhood page an explanation of why they wear the masks and they have not been to China in 10 years.  Felt bad that he felt the need to have to post that.  

People can be very cruel and alarmist.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

Yes I would go and the current level of fear of Chinese people because of coronavirus is just plane stupid.

We haven't been to a Chinese restaurant around here since my son arrived from China though.  Not because of fear but because he breaks out into rolling on the floor laughter when he sees "Chinese food" here.

• Awesome 1

20 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yes, but the one I go to is owned by and staffed by Hispanics.    Went there earlier this week.

Have a neighbor who is Asian and he and his wife wear masks, due to allergies.  He had to post today on our neighborhood page an explanation of why they wear the masks and they have not been to China in 10 years.  Felt bad that he felt the need to have to post that.  

It is SOOOOOO pathetic. 

People forgetting Canadians or Americans with a Chines/Asian face have been living and working in North America for decades. Even past 150 years.  Some haven't even been to China...like me.  There's a huge hunk that are like me...never been to China. Then they hang out with other Asian-Canadian friends who haven't been to Asia in past few years or never have been there. 

Let's not get into if others can even visually tell the difference  among Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese.... it's like saying can I visually tell the difference between a Swedish and Dutch. descent folks?

No, my family members normally don't wear face masks.  We do want to breathe in Canadian air.  I'm certain some of my family members in their jobs in hospitals, may wear mask on the job if required.

The 1 Chinese restaurant we used to frequent has lost its touch. The kitchen is Latino cooks. They don’t understand the nuances the old Taiwanese chefs did. 
The best sushi place in town has full Asian staff at the sushi bar and kitchen. I have no qualms going to either over the corona virus. Nebraska is still has one of the highest rates of influenza in the nation. I can get that anywhere!

That said, they are flying many of the Americans that were in Wuhan to a medical quarantine about 120 miles from here. I might be more nervous if the same staff hadn’t handled Ebola cases so well a few years ago. They train specifically for these type of situations. 

Yes I would and may eat in a Chinese restaurant in the near future if my lunch companions are ok with it.  Most of the customers in those restaurants are non-Asians and few of the workers are likely to have been to China recently and many in the restaurant trade are from Canton in the South of China where there are few cases of caronavirus.

I'm a little upset that media withholds facts from us that would make caronavirus less sensational.  There has been 1 death outside of China among about 200 cases.  How many of those cases have recovered?  What is the death/recovery ratio outside and inside of China?

What is the death rate compared to the flu?  In the USA alone through Jan. 18 there have been 8200 flu deaths, 140,000 hospitalizations and 15,000,000 cases. Unlike past years a significant percentage of deaths are among those 25 years-old and under.  How does the caronavirus compare?

I find it strange the there are dozens of coronavirus articles in the news each day and they mention none of those things.

• Heart 2

26 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Yes I would and may eat in a Chinese restaurant in the near future if my lunch companions are ok with it.  Most of the customers in those restaurants are non-Asians and few of the workers are likely to have been to China recently and many in the restaurant trade are from Canton in the South of China where there are few cases of caronavirus.

I'm a little upset that media withholds facts from us that would make caronavirus less sensational.  There has been 1 death outside of China among about 200 cases.  How many of those cases have recovered?  What is the death/recovery ratio outside and inside of China?

What is the death rate compared to the flu?  In the USA alone through Jan. 18 there have been 8200 flu deaths, 140,000 hospitalizations and 15,000,000 cases. Unlike past years a significant percentage of deaths are among those 25 years-old and under.  How does the caronavirus compare?

I find it strange the there are dozens of coronavirus articles in the news each day and they mention none of those things.

Given the speed and acceleration of the number of corona virus cases and considering the short interval in which this has happened, IMO a comparison to a disease that is well rooted across the entire world might not hold water.  If the increases in cases continues on at this rate without slowing or if it jumps the containment breaks in large numbers flu will probably be the least of your worries.  Flu is approximately a constant during flu season.  There is no information on how large coronavirus of this particular strain will get.  I believe it's far surpassed SARS at this point and doesn't seem to be slowing down.  Additionally, there are vaccines for flu but nothing in the near future for coronavirus.

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

It is SOOOOOO pathetic. 

I don't think so, at least for some overcautious people.  I do think they are jumping the gun a bit, though.

I work in a Chinese company and 2 out of 3 employees that were in Taiwan came back this week, one coming back next week.  There is a Chinese restaurant that we order from, and I know that at least the owners went back for Chinese new year.  They are MUCH more likely to have caught something, although the odds really are small.  We still order from them because they are cheap.  If you are hedging your bets slightly, not going to restaurants where employees may have traveled to China is one way to limit your exposure.  If you are really freaked out, don't go to any restaurants, which might be where this is headed if it really takes off.

Anyway you look at it, if this starts to spread, the Chinese folks that have traveled (and their family and employees) are much more likely to spark the rapid rise.  

2 minutes ago, Couch_Incident said:

You need to act way more dramatically.  

Mudkipz

Well, I have told everyone I wanted to bop a nubile chick in a coffee shop, piss in a Corona bottle, get the coronavirus, get Don Clayton's phone number, and I even called Kzoo a puritanical hypocrite -- all in the last couple days.

Should I lighten up?

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Well, I have told everyone I wanted to bop a nubile chick in a coffee shop, piss in a Corona bottle, get the coronavirus, get Don Clayton's phone number, and I even called Kzoo a puritanical hypocrite -- all in the last couple days.

Should I lighten up?

But, did you post about all of this on the Twatter?

Mudkipz

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jsharr said:

People are idiots.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That is just Wong!

I worked at a high end, multi award winning, "North American" restaurant renown for an extensive menu and the kitchen was run by recent immigrants from China.  Was that wrong too?  You can learn to cook authentic dishes of other cultures.  :) 

38 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I worked at a high end, multi award winning, "North American" restaurant renown for an extensive menu and the kitchen was run by recent immigrants from China.  Was that wrong too?  You can learn to cook authentic dishes of other cultures.  :) 

Yup someday @shootingstar is gonna teach me :nodhead:

• Heart 1

We didn't go to Chinese restaurants before the virus, so it is doubtful we would go there now.  Chinese food in the U.S.A. isn't very good for you.  Very salty, greasy, etc.  I have only been to one Chinese restaurant that I really liked, but it is 600 miles away.

Seriously, we just don't eat outside of our home too much.

13 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We didn't go to Chinese restaurants before the virus, so it is doubtful we would go there now.  Chinese food in the U.S.A. isn't very good for you.  Very salty, greasy, etc.  I have only been to one Chinese restaurant that I really liked, but it is 600 miles away.

Seriously, we just don't eat outside of our home too much.

You're in Portland, right?  There's probably a good Chinese restaurant somewhere...but would require some trials.  Some restaurants might accommodate if you understand:

*which dishes to order.  And it may be the "boring" looking dishes in photos that maybe quite healthy.

*Not finicky about mouth feel.  But it's healthy and tasty.  (I find a lot of people super picky about how a dish "looks" and they haven't tried it.  It's pretty sad,..to me.)

*Request that they not add much oil, nor soy sauce.  Already right there, one has knocked off a lot.

I rarely order deep-fried food in Chinese restaurants.  It's not my thing nor my natural choice.  I will eat it if Other people order it.

The threat of the corona virus won’t stop me from eating at a Chinese/Korean/Japanese restaurant, it’s just that I’d rather eat at home. The food is better, I have a level of control over the quality of the ingredients.

I volunteer at the local school with kindergarten students. One said his family is going back to Saudi Arabia, “where there aren’t any germs”. They’ll come back when the germs are gone. Ok kid, nice meeting you.