Skipping my planned morning ride

Square Wheels

Will do this instead.

Hill Ride:
The (in)famous Wednesday Night Hill Ride. The ride leaves at 6pm sharp from the mall parking lot next to the Cycle Loft in Burlington (directions below). We follow a 20-25 mi. loop, encompassing the gnarliest hills in the Boston Metro area (we’re talking gnarly with two g’s). In response to popular request, road construction contractors were hired over the winter to increase the length and grade of most of the hills. Additionally, the rides have been scheduled to coincide with the convergence of the inner planets to take advantage of the increased gravitational pull.

Low gears recommended. Since this is a training ride, no one will be dropped; we will ride an easy recovery pace between the hills, work hard up the hills, then regroup on the tops.

I skipped my morning ride too, but it was because my allergies are acting up, and I was up for a while stuffed up and coughing.  Since it woke up mrs_az_cyclist, she suggested I not ride.  In the interest of maintaining harmony I went along with that.

• Heart 1

There are hills in the Boston area, but nothing worth being called a climb.

I should move to AZ.  I just looked at your last ride of 25 miles, which is about what tonight's ride will be. Ooooo, a whole 453 feet.  I suppose you did get run over by a truck this year so I'll cut you some slack.

I should move to AZ.  I just looked at your last ride of 25 miles, which is about what tonight's ride will be. Ooooo, a whole 453 feet.  I suppose you did get run over by a truck this year so I'll cut you some slack.

Try to find one post where I have claimed this area to be hilly.

More often than not I'm complaining about how this area is insanely flat.

Try to find one post where I have claimed this area to be hilly.

More often than not I'm complaining about how this area is insanely flat.

There are some short, steep hills around the edges of the Phoenix Mountain Preserve.  Riding Cave Creek Rd from Carefree Hwy to where the pavement ends at Seven Springs is a 3% grade for 15 miles or so, with some sections where the grade is steeper.  Other than that you have to go to Flagstaff, Prescott, Sedona, or to ride up Mt Lemmon to get mountain hills.

• Heart 1

Riding Cave Creek Rd from Carefree Hwy to where the pavement ends at Seven Springs is a 3% grade for 15 miles or so, with some sections where the grade is steeper.  Other than that you have to go to Flagstaff, Prescott, Sedona, or to ride up Mt Lemmon to get mountain hills.

Thank you for proving my point.

I have to ride at least 30 miles to get to an area that actually has what can be called a climb.

I love the weather here, but my side of town sucks for cycling.

Thank you for proving my point.

I have to ride at least 30 miles to get to an area that actually has what can be called a climb.

I love the weather here, but my side of town sucks for cycling.

How far is the other side of town? I live in the sticks so "town" pretty much all looks the same.

It's about 25-30 miles to get to the east side of town. That is where it starts to get less flat. az_cyclist lives right at the edge of that area.

I guess I never really knew how big a city with the suburbs can be...I need to get out more. :)

It's about 25-30 miles to get to the east side of town. That is where it starts to get less flat. az_cyclist lives right at the edge of that area.

The west and southeast suburbs are pretty flat, or at most have false flats with a 1% uphill grade.

here is one example of a ride near where I live

http://www.strava.com/activities/161679765

if I'm going to Anthem this is the route I use.

https://www.strava.com/activities/28710701

You dont think you are climbing on New River Rd, but you are.  Last fall we rode up New River via Daisy Mtn, Anthem Way, and the frontage road, then down New River Rd.  What a difference on New Rver road.  We were rolling along in the upper 20's, until we got closer to Carefree Hwy.

You dont think you are climbing on New River Rd, but you are.  Last fall we rode up New River via Daisy Mtn, Anthem Way, and the frontage road, then down New River Rd.  What a difference on New Rver road.  We were rolling along in the upper 20's, until we got closer to Carefree Hwy.

I like to do that route clockwise. That way you just grind out the climb without any stoplights or traffic. Heading into Anthem from the east has too many stops along the way.

Where I live even if I find a hill it's likely to be less than a mile.  Yesterday I found something that went between 10 - 15% but was probably 1/4 - 1/2 mile long.

I'm a weak climber (and rider) so hills aren't my favorite, especially at 185.  I just want to get stronger for next Saturday so I don't have to stop on the hill during my ride.  It's the only thing I am "training" for this year.

Where I live even if I find a hill it's likely to be less than a mile. Yesterday I found something that went between 10 - 15% but was probably 1/4 - 1/2 mile long.

I'm a weak climber (and rider) so hills aren't my favorite, especially at 185. I just want to get stronger for next Saturday so I don't have to stop on the hill during my ride. It's the only thing I am "training" for this year.

borrow a cassette from DH, and you'll be fine.
  • Heart 1

I didn't even end up riding much at all.  Way too hot.  I did ride to the dentist, the grocery store and the bike shop.  My boys down there are happy.  I delivered a bunch of beer today.  Love them!

Now, SW and Sox can haze me and call me lazy, and say I don't ride enough.

I didn't even end up riding much at all. Way too hot. I did ride to the dentist, the grocery store and the bike shop. My boys down there are happy. I delivered a bunch of beer today. Love them!

Now, SW and Sox can haze me and call me lazy, and say I don't ride enough.

I only haze the ones I love.

I really love Nate, but I hate the way he talks, thinks, and acts.