How Privileged are you?

Dirtyhip

3 hours ago, BR46 said:

I've often wondered if these surveys are suppose to make us feel guilty because we might be better off than someone else. Or make us said or jealous that someone has it better than us.

I'm I suppose to feel guilty because I grew up in small mostly white city in Wisconsin. And not a major city where there's problems.

I had my own struggles growing up and I still struggle with them today with  my  dad dying when I was young and mother who didn't care.

Growing up in the 60s and 70s and you were dyslexic you didn't have a problem you were just stupid. Does that mean I have it worse than someone else? I don't know. I did figure out how to work around my problem and make the most of my life. 

Action is an appropriate response to structural inequality. Voting is a starting point. Advocacy helps raise awareness and build relationships. 

• Awesome 1

I scored 57 but the survey is infuriatingly ridiculous because if you struggled against the odds to accomplish something, you're treated as "privileged." I guess those making up the site do not think doing hard work to succeed is normal!

If you're a straight, white male, that results in a lot of privilege points: even if your friend in college got a hardship scholarship you were denied even though his family was MUCH more well-off and higher income than yours because he was a member of a minority.

The survey reeks of sexist, racist, and anti-religious overtones.

My parents did NOT own a car and I got a 20-48 hr/wk. fast-food job in high school to get one I knew I'd need to commute and work-my-way through college.  The privilege-pointers at this site apparently didn't think someone would actually work their way in high school to get a car!  That was NOT a privilege.

I busted my butt working my way through undergrad college -including doing research that got published in chemistry journals- to get a scholarship and teaching assistantship to IIT.  So, yeah, I went to an elite private college.  But not due to privilege: due to HARD work.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I scored 57 but the survey is infuriatingly ridiculous because if you struggled against the odds to accomplish something, you're treated as "privileged." I guess those making up the site do not think doing hard work to succeed is normal!

If you're a straight, white male, that results in a lot of privilege points: even if your friend in college got a hardship scholarship you were denied even though his family was MUCH more well-off and higher income than yours because he was a member of a minority.

My parents did NOT own a car and I got a 20-48 hr/wk. fast-food job in high school to get one I knew I'd need to commute and work-my-way through college.  The privilege-pointers at this site apparently didn't think someone would actually work their way in high school to get a car!  That was NOT a privilege.

I busted my butt working my way through undergrad college -including doing research that got published in chemistry journals- to get a scholarship and teaching assistantship to IIT.  So, yeah, I went to an elite private college.  But not due to privilege: due to HARD work.

No one said you can't/didn't work hard enough.

I know despite my hard work...to learn English in kindergarten in a way that led to my love of wordsmithing in English, major in English literature, critique my boss' verbose, boring presentations...that she asked me to present instead....because I am able to speak (in English) at management, strategic level.

I know despite all my hard work....I'm just still playing the same games of "whitening" my work experience:  I don't mention my 5 years of volunteer work in race relations and immigrant service advocacy for national organization in Toronto which ;provided me valuable skills on negotiation with various stakeholders and alternate communication:  Because I'm afraid of misead as a rabble rouser/not good corporate cultural fit.  Nor do I mention my additional 5 yr. volunteer work for a literary magazine that had works written by Asian Canadians.

As roadsue said: it is dealing with structural problems which leads to attitude problems.

This is very popular study of minority/ethnic university graduates who try to whiten/anglicize their resume to increase chances of getting an interview:

https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/minorities-who-whiten-job-resumes-get-more-interviews   It was study conducted via University of Toronto graduates looking for work.  It is serious evidence....over and over. I played that game of downplaying/hiding all my volunteer activities that would point to my race/ethnicity.  I will continue to play that game. Once I get into the organization, I might reveal to 1-2 people what I did in the past.

• Heart 1

OK, all you pull myself up by the bootstrap types... Do you realize that inflation of living costs has far outpaced the rise in minimum wage?  When some of you were in college, women were not given the same opportunities as you.  Nor were minorities. Or LGBTQ people? ...

It's awesome that many of you went to college.  It is a great thing to have accomplished and everyone that finished should feel proud.  

Kinda funny that this quiz infuriates the hetero white guys.  OOps. 

43 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

What year did you graduate?

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

OK, all you pull myself up by the bootstrap types... Do you realize that inflation of living costs has far outpaced the rise in minimum wage?  

It's awesome that many of you went to college.  It is a great thing to have accomplished and everyone that finished should feel proud.  

Kinda funny that this quiz infuriates the hetero white guys. 

Why shouldn't it.  Most of the time we're told we're privileged white guys and everything is our fault.  You don't know me or anything about me and yet just because of my skin color I'm privileged.  You might as well be saying OK Boomer as far as I'm concerned.

• Heart 3

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

OK, all you pull myself up by the bootstrap types... Do you realize that inflation of living costs has far outpaced the rise in minimum wage?  

1973 from UMBC,

Of course the quiz infuriates hetero white guys. If it used the same misconceptions of privilege about any other group, they would rightfully be pissed-off, too.  I have a far-right politician cousin and small-town mayor who used me as an example of someone with NO privileges that succeeded. So, yes, it really pisses me off that some group not only disregards my overcoming the odds against me but acts as if I was "very privileged."  Racial and sex bias for sure.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Why shouldn't it.  Most of the time we're told we're privileged white guys and everything is our fault.  You don't know me or anything about me and yet just because of my skin color I'm privileged.  You might as well be saying OK Boomer as far as I'm concerned.

Think of the question, globally?  Now think of the questions if you had a disability?  Or were gay? 

Did anyone grow up in the 50's?  Rosa Parks sat on that bus in 1955.  Think about that for a second.  \

Do you still feel the same about privilege?  Still feel that you had it so rough that the quiz offends?

20 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

1973 from UMBC,

Of course the quiz infuriates hetero white guys. If it used the same misconceptions of privilege about any other group, they would rightfully be pissed-off, too.  I have a far-right politician cousin and small-town mayor who used me as an example of someone with NO privileges that succeeded. So, yes, it really pisses me off that some group not only disregards my overcoming the odds against me but acts as if I was "very privileged."  Racial and sex bias for sure.

I think many marginalized people are angry with the white men because of the balance of wealth and power in the matter.

It is an SJW hot button quiz, nothing more.  It ends up defining poutrage by the SJW standards and what they claim is privilege.  There are a lot of underprivileged whose issues were not addressed in the quiz.  Probably because they don't fit the current pigeon holed topics. It was pretty easy to determine where it was headed by question 1.  Not a fan of the quiz or the ideology it represents. Still, I had a low score so, for a white, straight, male, boomer who is easily a top 5% wage earner, I question the examination of privilege standards. 

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Think of the question, globally?  Now think of the questions if you had a disability?  Or were gay? 

Did anyone grow up in the 50's?  Rosa Parks sat on that bus in 1955.  Think about that for a second.  \

Do you still feel the same about privilege?  Still feel that you had it so rough that the quiz offends?

I did grow up in the 50's. I was born in the 40's.  Is a home any less broken when your father dies when you are 10 and your stepdad is a drunk because your white?  Have you ever been turned down for a job because there was a quota to fill?  This test didn't test for privilege.  It tested for liberal stereotypes.

• Heart 2

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I did grow up in the 50's. I was born in the 40's.  Is a home any less broken when your father dies when you are 10 and your stepdad is a drunk because your white?  Have you ever been turned down for a job because there was a quota to fill?  This test didn't test for privilege.  It tested for liberal stereotypes.

I didn't see a question addressing the responsibilities of the privileged class of the 50's.  

18 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

A broken family is bad all around.  I know of this.

People of color were not allowed to do certain things, but you and your Dad were able to.  Fair?  That was your privilege that someone else was not afforded.   This should affect the score.   

13 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

A broken family is bad all around.  I know of this.

People of color were not allowed to do certain things, but you and your Dad were able to.  Fair?  That was your privilege that someone else was not afforded.   This should affect the score.   

It didn't affect the score however.  See my score above.  Yet if we pass on the street, you not knowing me, might be forgiven for thinking "just another white privileged white guy".  It's a stereotype, different in scale perhaps, but still the very thing being complained about by so many.  I'm just not so forgiving about it.  

edit:  I just erased about 3/4ths of this post because it simply isn't worth it.  You've already made your decisions.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

It didnt infuriate me.  It is what it is.  I am on the younger end of the scale here, and simply grew up and through the 'equity' adjustments for sex and race.

Sexual orientation discrimination was still a thing when I started and became a  non-issue (in my job) during my career

• Heart 1

Canadians who are not native Indian/First Nations, are getting their reminder of their privilege NOW...who settled the land of Canada first:

A band of several west coastal Indian groups have been blocking Canadian passenger and freight rail lines in past few days.  It is messing things up for passengers and large shipment of commodities and materials across Canada:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/wetsuweten-protest-bc-sunday-1.5457629

Meanwhle First Nations law professors are trying to explain this growing serious problem ,,,,right now:  http://www.firstnationsdrum.com/2019/02/the-complicated-history-of-hereditary-chiefs-and-elected-councils/

As we know, not so long ago, Critical bike mass rides/rallies to block car traffic ...doesn't engender huge public support when trying to deliberately block car movement.  

I guess, I never agreed with hereditary rule anywhere in the world in modern times (and the Royal Family situation isn't great at all.)  It should be by election by its peoples.  

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

But you are a white male.  :) 

Yes, who grew up piss, poor broke, though didn't realize it as a kid, took on huge student loans (you know there is a limit to how much they will loan in a lifetime) and also worked to put myself through college to get where I am at.  Picked my major well so I can actually pay back my mountain of debt instead of whining about it and expect it to just magically be wiped away.  So yes, I guess I got the privilege of working my ass off and making mostly good decisions along the way, though I am not sure why working hard and making good decisions should be exclusive to while males, but apparently the ability must be.

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

..and it doesn't improve after reassignment. 

After reassignment there is still much stigma and harsh treatment.  I can see how the suicide rate could be so high for this group.  

I guess my thought is ... Am I OK with that, or can I help make it better for this group. We help sloths get out of the road in Costa Rica. 

At what point did people stop caring about other people? 

• Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes, who grew up piss, poor broke, though didn't realize it as a kid, took on huge student loans (you know there is a limit to how much they will loan in a lifetime) and also worked to put myself through college to get where I am at.  Picked my major well so I can actually pay back my mountain of debt instead of whining about it and expect it to just magically be wiped away.  So yes, I guess I got the privilege of working my ass off and making mostly good decisions along the way, though I am not sure why working hard and making good decisions should be exclusive to while males, but apparently the ability must be.

Grew up poor, in the worst area of my small town.  Moved out at 17, graduated high school slightly late.  Started working and never stopped.  Tried to make good decisions, and saved my pennies to get where I am today.  Never went to college.  It always felt out of reach due to cost. 

After working like that and getting here, I am so incredibly grateful.  My thought is that if you have, you should give and help others who need.  The way we are headed is sink or swim, sloth. Is this what we want as a society.  

I don't get the outrage over the demographic questions of the quiz.  Aren't we all products of our circumstances?  Some handle it better than others.  My concern is about the ones that don't.  These are mostly the under privileged.  How about the word under served?  I am hearing that a whole bunch more with programs.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Grew up poor, in the worst area of my small town.  Moved out at 17, graduated high school slightly late.  Started working and never stopped.  Tried to make good decisions, and saved my pennies to get where I am today.  Never went to college.  It always felt out of reach due to cost. 

After working like that and getting here, I am so incredibly grateful.  My thought is that if you have, you should give and help others who need.  The way we are headed is sink or swim, sloth. Is this what we want as a society.  

I don't get the outrage over the demographic questions of the quiz.  Aren't we all products of our circumstances?  Some handle it better than others.  My concern is about the ones that don't.  These are mostly the under privileged.  How about the word under served?  I am hearing that a whole bunch more with programs.

I believe in helping others who are trying to help themselves.

And you might not completely get the demographic questions and out rage because you are not fully in the targeted group.  You target someone enough, eventually they fight back.  I grew up that way having been bullied from middle school all the way up until my senior year of highschool when I finally said enough is enough and fought back against a kid that was trying to bully me (it did go to well for him).  So I get it and we are approaching enough is enough.  I am not the cause of anyone else's problems, so stop fucking blaming me (not directed at you, more of a societal direction).  

19 hours ago, Wilbur said:

A Chinese Canadian friend of mine has similar issues in his Richmond neighbourhood.  The Mainland Chinese immigrants are always yelling at him and calling him names because he doesn't speak Mandarin and has a white wife. :)   He does speak Mandarin, he just refuses to. 

19 hours ago, shootingstar said:

There's no real point of avoiding to speak Mandarin with them. 

When my grandfather migrated from Germany, his parents did not allow him to speak German in the house.  They all spoke English even though they weren't very good at it because it was the language most people in the US spoke. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I believe in helping others who are trying to help themselves.

And you might not completely get the demographic questions and out rage because you are not fully in the targeted group.  You target someone enough, eventually they fight back.  I grew up that way having been bullied from middle school all the way up until my senior year of highschool when I finally said enough is enough and fought back against a kid that was trying to bully me (it did go to well for him).  So I get it and we are approaching enough is enough.  I am not the cause of anyone else's problems, so stop fucking blaming me (not directed at you, more of a societal direction).  

Understood.  There are articles that are pointed one way, I see that a ton.

My concern is the great number that are falling off.  Solid hard work for employees like you and I, and socialistic benefits for the Corporations.  The homeless problem seems bad everywhere.  At the changes I have seen in my life, it brings concern.  Do you have much homeless where you are?

15 minutes ago, Indy said:

I am not the cause of anyone else's problems, so stop fucking blaming me (not directed at you, more of a societal direction).  

I think that might be the problem here - you are misinterpreting "privilege" as an attack/blame on you.  It's not an attack. It is a discussion on the way many variables - WAY beyond one's control - have an impact, often VERY significant ones, on a person's trajectory in life.

There's no "blame" in understanding how things are.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Understood.  There are articles that are pointed one way, I see that a ton.

My concern is the great number that are falling off.  Solid hard work for employees like you and I, and socialistic benefits for the Corporations.  The homeless problem seems bad everywhere.  At the changes I have seen in my life, it brings concern.  Do you have much homeless where you are?

Yes, those that truly are homeless because of mental illness need help.  Drug addicts I am less sympathetic to, because they made their choice.  But yeah, we have a fairly large homeless problem here.  For 15 years I worked in the worst area of the city (not unusual for people to be held up at lunch, front of building shot a couple times) from what I saw, I'd say a large percentage of the homeless is drug related.  You'd see them out panhandling and then glance around to see if anyone was looking and then shoot up real quick.  So money, just buys drugs.  Give them material items of value, buy drugs.  You can not help someone who doesn't want to help themselves.

I think we also have huge misdirection in how to address some of the issues.  At least here, they seem to think the answer is to provide them with a house.  These people can't take care of themselves, they sure are not going to take care of their own house.  Also, I don't believe everyone needs to own a house or should own one.  I think better controlled and regulated apartment complexes is a far better answer.  Yeah, it might have to look like almost a prison with guards to keep things under control, but that would be for safety purposes as these people need to learn how to rejoin society.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think that might be the problem here - you are misinterpreting "privilege" as an attack/blame on you.  It's not an attack. It is a discussion on the way many variables - WAY beyond one's control - have an impact, often VERY significant ones, on a person's trajectory in life.

And that goes back to where I said I believe it's lost meaning and the use of the word has almost became a slam and way of blaming others for their problems.  You are constantly hearing it used that way and people will say (yes I've been told it) the only reason I got where I was, was because I was a white male.  That's a pretty big slam on how hard I worked to get here, and I failed a few times and had to pull myself back up and keep trying.  I just refused to fail.  Has nothing to do with being a white male, and I was far from privileged.

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes, those that truly are homeless because of mental illness need help.  Drug addicts I am less sympathetic to, because they made their choice.  But yeah, we have a fairly large homeless problem here.  For 15 years I worked in the worst area of the city (not unusual for people to be held up at lunch, front of building shot a couple times) from what I saw, I'd say a large percentage of the homeless is drug related.  You'd see them out panhandling and then glance around to see if anyone was looking and then shoot up real quick.  So money, just buys drugs.  Give them material items of value, buy drugs.  You can not help someone who doesn't want to help themselves.

I think we also have huge misdirection in how to address some of the issues.  At least here, they seem to think the answer is to provide them with a house.  These people can't take care of themselves, they sure are not going to take care of their own house.  Also, I don't believe everyone needs to own a house or should own one.  I think better controlled and regulated apartment complexes is a far better answer.  Yeah, it might have to look like almost a prison with guards to keep things under control, but that would be for safety purposes as these people need to learn how to rejoin society.

The empty malls could serve with housing and services in the short term. Those could be like state run agencies.  Job opportunities.  

@Wilbur What's homeless like in your utopia?  I didn't see much homeless, but we were in nice areas.

• Heart 1

36 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If you think the word privilege is not an attack word then you are blind, deaf and not in touch.  It is used in a very specific way across the political spectrum.  If, like DH, you wish to help others get a better life that's one thing, but the word privilege is the fast track to getting started on the wrong foot.

Are there advantages to being born white, in the US, not poor...........duh.

However the word privilege, like OK Boomer, and several aimed at other racial and ethnic groups is in common use as a judgemental attack word.  If you don't like judgemental then don't be judgemental.

13 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Yet we all "understand" through the prism of our own experiences.

Like a poet.

@Indy The drug problem is a huge concern.  I see what you are saying.  There is a section of this homeless population that is not of sound mind, drug addicts, alcoholics.  I am willing to bet that the alcoholism in homelessness is at a higher rate than the drug addicts.  Alcohol is cheap and easy to access.  My husband often cares for this population.  My husband has to crack open cold ones for them, during their stay. 

• Heart 2

26 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Like a poet.

@Indy The drug problem is a huge concern.  I see what you are saying.  There is a section of this homeless population that is not of sound mind, drug addicts, alcoholics.  I am willing to bet that the alcoholism in homelessness is at a higher rate than the drug addicts.  Alcohol is cheap and easy to access.  My husband often cares for this population.  My husband has to crack open cold ones for them, during their stay. 

How is the drug problem related to the privilege conversation?  And I am always reticent to try to draw a line between mental health issues and drug/alcohol issues.  In some communities (think Native Americans), I would consider the privilege issue as a potentially large contributor, but overall, drug & alcohol addictions are a scourge on society.  I would say reaction to a specific community facing a drug/alcohol epidemic often help emphasize a difference how society views and treats different segments, so if folks drill down on more specific drug/alcohol issues, the differences become more pronounced.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

The empty malls could serve with housing and services in the short term. Those could be like state run agencies.  Job opportunities.  

@Wilbur What's homeless like in your utopia?  I didn't see much homeless, but we were in nice areas.

It is an absolute disgrace.  After Expo 86, Vancouver was considered the boom, "have" city.  Asian investment started pouring in as did all the Hong Kong residents who needed an alternate as the hand over of HK from British to China left questions.  During that time, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba offered their homeless a free one way bus ticket plus spending cash to leave and go to Vancouver.  The homeless population swelled.  Vancouver has not kept up on housing for the homeless individuals so it is in your face in Vancouver East Side.  

https://www.vancourier.com/news/how-do-you-explain-vancouver-s-downtown-eastside-to-tourists-it-s-complicated-1.23920263

Toronto, while considerably larger has a smaller homeless population.  It is still problematic and there isn't enough being done to accommodate them. 

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

At what point did people stop caring about other people? 

This is a good question.  As you know, I am right of centre in my politics but, there are socially oriented people on both sides of the line.  I don't agree with Bernie type socialism but I do support 100%, social programs to help people down on their luck. Even if that luck is self-induced.   I do like our socialized medicine as healthcare must be viewed as a right, not a privilege. 

So, I don't know.  Society has become a very self-centred place.  It is sad, really. 

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

If you think the word privilege is not an attack word then you are blind, deaf and not in touch.  It is used in a very specific way across the political spectrum.  If, like DH, you wish to help others get a better life that's one thing, but the word privilege is the fast track to getting started on the wrong foot.

Are there advantages to being born white, in the US, not poor...........duh.

However the word privilege, like OK Boomer, and several aimed at other racial and ethnic groups is in common use as a judgemental attack word.  If you don't like judgemental then don't be judgemental.

I worry you are reacting to the reactionaries!  Triggered by the triggered. Step out of that cycle, and look at the issue as an impartial observer, not as a victim - "underprivileged" or "privileged".

What's the point of ignoring or belittling the issue? Usually to maintain a status quo, perhaps?  If the status quo is working in your favor and you have no or little desire for fairness then you may internalize the privilege discussion as an attack.  In the US, a white guy making more money than a white woman for an identical job is an "unfair" situation and exists for a variety of reasons. A white guy probably feels fine with that situation, but probably the white lady doesn't????

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I worry you are reacting to the reactionaries!  Triggered by the triggered. Step out of that cycle, and look at the issue as an impartial observer, not as a victim - "underprivileged" or "privileged".

What's the point of ignoring or belittling the issue? Usually to maintain a status quo, perhaps?  If the status quo is working in your favor and you have no or little desire for fairness then you may internalize the privilege discussion as an attack.  In the US, a white guy making more money than a white woman for an identical job is an "unfair" situation and exists for a variety of reasons. A white guy probably feels fine with that situation, but probably the white lady doesn't????

Once you know that a phrase bothers someone how many times will you try to tell them that they are wrong and you are right?

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Once you know that a phrase bothers someone how many times will you try to tell them that they are wrong and you are right?

Huh? If the phrase/term bothers you, why are you reading & commenting in threads about it?

Also, why are you seemingly taking on the blame and hurt?  If you understand the concept, you shouldn't feel victimized. You either feel "meh" (not a priority) or would feel like things could change for the better. It's not a "Maxx is a bad guy" thing, but rather a "maybe there's a fairer way to do things" concept.