Do you have a personal catchphrase?

Road Runner

I often say something few of my friends and acquaintances say, "I don't know," sometimes adding, "I'll try to find out for you."

It amazes me how some people want others to think they have a valid answer.  My worst case:

I once had problems with a 21' powerboat used for fishing. It was the first boat I ever kept in a marina. 50:50 owned by my sister's family and me. The 210 HP V6 engine (inboard motor/outdrive propeller) seemed to run fine but as Spring went on to Summer, the boat no longer went 50 mph, getting slower and slower and dropping under to 20 mph.  EVERY MAN who got aboard KNEW the problem: the propeller's loose, the propeller's damaged, the belts are slipping, the sparkplug's connections to the wires are corroded by the Chesapeake's salt water, the transmission of the power to the propeller is damaged, etc. etc. etc.

On the 4th of July, a couple dozen boats, including our's, positioned themselves off a rich dude's house-on-the-water to listen to the rock band of a friend of my brother's and later watch fireworks.  The boat anchored next to us was another friend of my brother and a conversation went on back-and-forth between boats.

Finally, that friend on the next boat said to me, "I bet you're not getting more than 15 mph with your boat!"  I asked how he knew and he said, "Look at all those barnacles!"

None of us realized barnacles could be such a drag.  Being a teacher and off for the summer, I was the one who had to dry dock the boat and very carefully scrape the barnacles off by hand with the old 2x4 wooden block with fine sandpaper wrapped around it so I wouldn't also scrape off the gel coat on top of the hull paint.  That took a week of 12-hour workdays.  Then I got biodegradable anti-fouling paint (contains copper and repels barnacles) and painted the hull.

We put the boat back in the water and went 50 mph again.  That fall, we moved the boat permanently to a boatel! We've since sold it because it now costs $200+ in gasoline each fishing trip.

P.S. I just found some boatel pictures of our boat, the Reel Busy, while looking for snow pics:

DVC00457.thumb.JPG.a004f3b6c08f1071ab77eaa6911ea5ea.JPG

DVC00461.thumb.JPG.4038670fcbbbd5a1d9d7ff1dddf4031e.JPGDVC00454.thumb.JPG.6ac237a394cd592916699eeec309045e.JPG

Mine are all work related..  

When I flew in the armed forces I would brief a passenger, " If we need to get out, I will call Eject, eject, eject.  If you say 'what?', you are going to be talking to yourself."

Or my current one in corporate flying, "If we need to evacuate on the ground and you want to be second off the plane, just grab ahold of my belt".  

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

It's not unusual for me to adopt a catch phrase or word to ply individuals toward or away from certain modes of thinking. I will adopt the word or phrase until the desired results are achieved and maintain it in my lexicon until the opportunities or needs dissolve.

Bite me Butt Munch!

sort of like that?

• Whatever 1

It may sound trite, but during trying and difficult times, I always like to remind myself that "no matter how bad things are, they could always be worse."

Such as when my back and shoulder are both hurting like hell and I can hardly walk.  I feel like a poor down-trodden victim.  But then when I compare my problems to what some of my my friends have gone through, I realize I should just shut up and be thankful.  Seriously.   

• Awesome 1

5 hours ago, Road Runner said:

It may sound trite, but during trying and difficult times, I always like to remind myself that "no matter how bad things are, they could always be worse."

Such as when my back and shoulder are both hurting like hell and I can hardly walk.  I feel like a poor down-trodden victim.  But then when I compare my problems to what some of my my friends have gone through, I realize I should just shut up and be thankful.  Seriously.   

I use that one a lot also.  It does help put things into context.