How privileged I am -- I get to work today

Dottleshead

13 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I was up until 3 a.m.yesterday working remotely.  Today, I have to work half the day remotely before I physically get to go into work tomorrow for the next week.  I am grateful I have a job. I am grateful I only have to wast 3 hours a day traveling to and from work on those days I go in.  I am grateful I have a home that I can work in.  I am grateful I have an internet connection so I can work remotely.  I am grateful I have heat to work in and I'm grateful I have a grateful wife who appreciates me working.  I am grateful I'm not being harassed in the privacy of my home while I work and I'm grateful I can work on the sabbath without anyone damning me to hell for working.  I'm grateful no one is trying to save me and I am also grateful I can have sex with my wife in between work tasks if we are interested.  I am also grateful she doesn't heckle me about my performance or question my manhood.  I am also grateful we have a working car so I can go get my medications later today  so I can continue to work. I am grateful I can afford them.  I am grateful I can take time off work tomorrow to go get my teeth cleaned tomorrow so I can continue to eat so I can continue to work.  I am grateful that I get to share that with all of you. 

Mostly, I am also very grateful I get to spend the next 4 hours working my ass off just to keep from getting fired -- so I can be grateful for all those things above. 

Be grateful you don't have a full time job working in some truly shitty outdoor weather conditions. :wub: I'm always amazed to see road work crews, paving, excavating at -24 degrees C  in winter in our area.  In Vancouver, the construction sites may shut down at -10 degrees C. or warmer.  I know...I worked at construction site for 3 yrs. I had to go to work, because I worked inside the office trailer, meanwhile the outdoor work crews didn't have to work.  I had a 3 hr. round trip daily commute.

11 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I was up until 3 a.m.yesterday working remotely.  Today, I have to work half the day remotely before I physically get to go into work tomorrow for the next week.  I am grateful I have a job. I am grateful I only have to wast 3 hours a day traveling to and from work on those days I go in.  I am grateful I have a home that I can work in.  I am grateful I have an internet connection so I can work remotely.  I am grateful I have heat to work in and I'm grateful I have a grateful wife who appreciates me working.  I am grateful I'm not being harassed in the privacy of my home while I work and I'm grateful I can work on the sabbath without anyone damning me to hell for working.  I'm grateful no one is trying to save me and I am also grateful I can have sex with my wife in between work tasks if we are interested.  I am also grateful she doesn't heckle me about my performance or question my manhood.  I am also grateful we have a working car so I can go get my medications later today  so I can continue to work. I am grateful I can afford them.  I am grateful I can take time off work tomorrow to go get my teeth cleaned tomorrow so I can continue to eat so I can continue to work.  I am grateful that I get to share that with all of you. 

Mostly, I am also very grateful I get to spend the next 4 hours working my ass off just to keep from getting fired -- so I can be grateful for all those things above. 

While waiting for the LRT train yesterday, dearie and I met a young man who seemed fit to me, Asian-Canadian and good natured.  He told us he was a surveyor.  He had worked up north in the oil sands...also in dinky village areas in the prairies where clearly to locals, he was not one of "them".  He found it stifling to be in those areas where gossip got silly/inward. 

We wished him well, because he was switching work to a solar panel farm....good thing..oil and gas is dying abit.

I also was privileged to be working today. I don't enjoy working but am glad that I make decent money and can work overtime when I want.

In a union shop overtime goes by seniority. Offered from the top down and forced from the bottom up. I spent a few years on afternoon shift being forced 7 days a week, and many of the days were 12 hours.

Now I'm daylight and work when I want    :)

I'm lucky that there was a big hiring surge a couple years after I started, which moved me up the seniority list fairly quickly.    

• Heart 2

27 minutes ago, Further said:

I also was privileged to be working today. I don't enjoy working but am glad that I make decent money and can work overtime when I want.

In a union shop overtime goes by seniority. Offered from the top down and forced from the bottom up. I spent a few years on afternoon shift being forced 7 days a week, and many of the days were 12 hours.

Now I'm daylight and work when I want    :)

I'm lucky that there was a big hiring surge a couple years after I started, which moved me up the seniority list fairly quickly.    

I've worked both as an employee and unionized supervisor in several different jobs....I never expected overtime pay.  I simply took work home to write a report, etc.  It was to help myself..advance my career because it was to do a better job to my own satisfaction.  And I never asked an union employee to work overtime...because I didn't have the department budget nor justification to warrant that. 

In my present job, I did get some overtime pay last year (for first time in my 35+ years of work), because my boss had budgeted for abit it for strictly a major 1.5 yr. long enterprise-wide project which involved software  upgrading affecting 35 depts.  People should appreciate even in govn't, there are some frickin' serious, risky organizational wide projects that happen.  She laid down the rules that we had to tell her exactly the overtime and when before she approved each time.  Because she would have justify it up the senior management chain...even though it was budgeted....4 yrs. ago....with city council/public approval. 

And people think govn't is an easy ride as a manager. Sometimes but during times when budget is tight, this level of accountability is what happens.

6 hours ago, Dottles said:

I was up until 3 a.m.yesterday working remotely.  Today, I have to work half the day remotely before I physically get to go into work tomorrow for the next week.  I am grateful I have a job. I am grateful I only have to waste 3 hours a day traveling to and from work on those days I go in.  I am grateful I have a home that I can work in.  I am grateful I have an internet connection so I can work remotely.  I am grateful I have heat to work in and I'm grateful I have a grateful wife who appreciates me working.  I am grateful I'm not being harassed in the privacy of my home while I work and I'm grateful I can work on the sabbath without anyone damning me to hell for working.  I'm grateful no one is trying to save me and I am also grateful I can have sex with my wife in between work tasks if we are interested.  I am also grateful she doesn't heckle me about my performance or question my manhood.  I am also grateful we have a working car so I can go get my medications later today  so I can continue to work. I am grateful I can afford them.  I am grateful I can take time off work tomorrow to go get my teeth cleaned  so I can continue to eat so I can continue to work.  I am grateful that I get to share that with all of you. 

I feel grateful for my job too.  Hearing about people without a job or insurance.  eeks