PTO

petitepedal

I'd give you some of mine if I could, I am still over 600 and I get another 240 hours the end of March.

There have been time I have been over 1000, and take time off and work from home just to burn some hours.  Some times I wish I had a job that wasnt so much fun

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1
  • Envious 2

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

I'd give you some of mine if I could, I am still over 600 and I get another 240 hours the end of March.

There have been time I have been over 1000, and take time off and work from home just to burn some hours.  Some times I wish I had a job that wasnt so much fun

Hopefully you get lieu time off or something.  It can break other people mentally or put their personal lives in a shambles. You're lucky to have adult children/spouse with her own career.  It never bothered me when dearie was flying off to his job meetings across North America or cycling solo on his multi-month trips.....I was too busy in my jobs.

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

So I went on line to check on my HSA and PTO..I have 80 hours of PTO....in March...I add 200 more... I should take a few more long weekends :cheerleader:

Just take the month of April off!  Hit the road or head to Europe like you mentioned.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Hopefully you get lieu time off or something.

Oh.., I have lots of LTO on top of those hours.  That is one of the reasons my numbrrs are high, I have had two weeks off and only burnt 8 hours of leave because of hours owed to me.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

You're lucky to have adult children

They were not born adults....., and we had three in four years.  I had more hours owed then than I do now.  With my wifes career as it is now, we are more flexible to take time off than we were 20 years ago

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, petitepedal said:

So I went on line to check on my HSA and PTO..I have 80 hours of PTO....in March...I add 200 more... I should take a few more long weekends :cheerleader:

I just looked at mine.. I have 250 hours of PTO right now and will be adding another 100 at the end of the month. 
I think I might have to take a few days off to go fishing. 

• Awesome 1

My current employer gives executive staff unlimited PTO so I don’t even think about calculating my time off anymore!  

My wife keeps forgetting and asked if I had enough time off to take Presidents Day as she has it off. Yep... Oh yeah that’s right you can take off all the time you want.  Got that right!

• Heart 2

10 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I try to keep at least 1 week in the bank..for those emergencies that pop up...I probably used 2 weeks during the shingles thing.

Tha tis not enough Petite.  What if you broke a leg or something?  You could be off 6 weeks or more.  Do you have a good disability insurance policy?

35 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Now we’re talk’n.  I’ll bet @Indy has a good “almost got my arm ripped off by the PTO shaft” story.

A friend of mine’s brother got wrapped up in a PTO. He went around several revolutions and had a lot of broken bones, ribs, arm, etc. He recovered from it and kept on helping out on the farm. He was around 60 years old when this happened.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Tha tis not enough Petite.  What if you broke a leg or something?  You could be off 6 weeks or more.  Do you have a good disability insurance policy?

Is Petite different than the rest of us?  I aim for zero balances on PTO - either having just taken time off or banking it for near term use.  Are you thinking folks should hold onto a huge pile of PTO or just petite?

Just now, Rattlecan said:

And I still don’t know what pto means in the context of the op :scratchhead:

Personal Time Off.  It like vacation but it's not.  It's for when you are supposed to be working (providing value to your organization) but you decide you don't want to and your employer pays you anyway.  You certainly remember that from your truck driving days.  Times where you would just pull over to the side of the road and take a nap under a shade tree and still get paid for it.

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Personal Time Off.  It like vacation but it's not.  It's for when you are supposed to be working (providing value to your organization) but you decide you don't want to and your employer pays you anyway.  You certainly remember that from your truck driving days.  Times where you would just pull over to the side of the road and take a nap under a shade tree and still get paid for it.

You obviously don’t know how things work in the world of transportation. Nobody pays you for sitting picking your nose. If you ain’t turnin you ain’t earnin 

• Awesome 2

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

A friend of mine’s brother got wrapped up in a PTO. He went around several revolutions and had a lot of broken bones, ribs, arm, etc. He recovered from it and kept on helping out on the farm. He was around 60 years old when this happened.

My first tractor trailer driving job was hauling live broiler chickens from the farm to the processing plant. I guess that was about a hundred years ago, or so it seems. One of our favorite farmers that we hauled for was killed when he tried to hop over a running pto shaft and got sucked in. It happened the very next day after we cleaned out one of his barns. 

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Is Petite different than the rest of us?  I aim for zero balances on PTO - either having just taken time off or banking it for near term use.  Are you thinking folks should hold onto a huge pile of PTO or just petite?

It depends if you have PTO and sick or just PTO.  If you just have PTO, you should bank some for a crisis. My two cents. 

• Heart 1

We could carry 240 hours of annual leave, but I seldom came near that much with doing my job and taking care of critters, particularly when my wife was away.  Biggest chunk of sick leave was used when my eyes went funky, when I was first diagnosed with diabetes.  I still worked from home, and prepared a case writeup and finished a book chapter during that time.  However, I had to invest $100 in a new pair of glasses for that short period of time. I had never heard of PTO, before this thread, so had to use Google. We simply referred to annual leave and sick leave in all of the positions that I held over the years.  Acronyms drive me a bit 'crazy'.