Do you sharpen your pencil sharpener?

donkpow

6 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Do you sharpen your pencil sharpener?

I do and you should too.

I hate to call you a moran, Don, but there is a reason we have landfills! If your pencil sharpener ain't sharp any more, then toss it in the can and get a new one!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

Many people don't know this about me but I sharpen my drafting pencils with a depression era solution. I stack and staple strips of fine sandpaper to a wood shim and simply discard the strip when it becomes too dirty to tolerate. It's the only way, really.

I've used these

aa17600_x.jpg

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

Many people don't know this about me but I sharpen my drafting pencils with a depression era solution. I stack and staple strips of fine sandpaper to a wood shim and simply discard the strip when it becomes too dirty to tolerate. It's the only way, really.

I don't have a pencil sharpener, ^^^ so this trick that I learned in drafting class is still in use in the lab.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

My name is Jeff Bezos and I approve of this message.

I use mechanical pencils, so most of this conversation is just nonsense anyway :D  Also, a pencil sharpener is a $1 doodad that can be tossed in a desk drawer.  But a half dozen and more on.

image.png.f15366d3adc7d8b8b8ee6ec5eed94547.png

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Here is Dottie's sharpener.  He likes to use this at coffee shops as he eyes the barristas and female patrons.

Image result for butt shaped pencil sharpener

It explains why all his pencils are down to the nub! God help the hot chicks who cross his path at the coffee shop!

image.thumb.png.b14d7007b96ee12ce2cabb4b4ced4f0d.png

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I've used these

aa17600_x.jpg

Me too in my design days.  I never cut and stacked sand paper to do it.  I paid 59 cents to buy one.  I lasted years.......... and years.  It was only used to point the lead in my compasses.  For the many drafting pencils I used this and all good draftsmen did before CAD.

image.thumb.png.6b29d01ad9502c2c6b8e5eabb172622b.png

• Heart 2

45 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I've used these

aa17600_x.jpg

Exactly.

I also have one of these:

61pzeNMT27L._AC_SY741_.jpg

In drafting or technical drawing, the width of a line has meaning. With the older technology, one could use a single pencil and the sharpening board to create all of the line widths needed. The sharpener above puts a point on the lead in the lead holder. Not quite as useful. However, the device does catch the lead dust. Now that horses are less abundant to donate to dust brushes, it's probably a good idea.

• Heart 1

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

Drafting was an art, luckily I was young enough to where this was only a school thing :D  Lettering is what I disliked the most. Needed to be consistent and neat. I used one of these for guide lines.

51GlJ-87PoL._SL1089_.jpg

Cheating.

This is the tool for lettering.  

image.thumb.png.1d3c739657100242e341aaac1f1eb75e.png

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Truth.  I've used one many times.  I probably still have it in my box of drafting tools somewhere.

I've mainly used it to draw construction lines to letter within. I also used it for letting inside the template, but if not careful, tops and bottoms of letters are flat :facepalm:

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

I've mainly used it to draw construction lines to letter within. I also used it for letting inside the template, but if not careful, tops and bottoms of letters are flat :facepalm:

My last couple years on the board I used that and developed a very nice lettering style with flat bottoms.

That was a long time ago.  My drawing career came to an end in 1977.

• Heart 1

Just now, Kzoo said:

My last couple years on the board I used that and developed a very nice lettering style with flat bottoms.

That was a long time ago.  My drawing career came to an end in 1977.

I can appreciate good lettering style. We have a lot of drawings here dated from the 40s-80s from companies like Detroit Diesel, Chrysler, GM, etc. Back when they were blue prints. Some Chrysler drawings were sepia.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I can appreciate good lettering style. We have a lot of drawings here dated from the 40s-80s from companies like Detroit Diesel, Chrysler, GM, etc. Back when they were blue prints. Some Chrysler drawings were sepia.

These are better with a picture!  Can you snap a pic of a good example?

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I'm here today in ritzy Bellevue -- @Razors Edge's second home.

https://anchorheadcoffee.com/

I was Kirkland riffraff. Only went to Bellevue when the bossman called me into the HQ.  Otherwise, I lived and worked with the common folks.

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

Drafting was an art, luckily I was young enough to where this was only a school thing :D  Lettering is what I disliked the most. Needed to be consistent and neat. I used one of these for guide lines.

51GlJ-87PoL._SL1089_.jpg

They gave me one of those, but the cheap assed pencils that came with it wouldn't write on it.  A sharpie worked but smudged badly.

4 hours ago, donkpow said:

In drafting or technical drawing, the width of a line has meaning. 

I am genuinely curious...  do you have an example?  I'm looking up examples and I don't see any difference in the thickness of the lines. I see double lines, but it appears that all lines are the same width.  What does that width mean?

3 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

I am genuinely curious...  do you have an example?  I'm looking up examples and I don't see any difference in the thickness of the lines. I see double lines, but it appears that all lines are the same width.  What does that width mean?

The body of the drawing uses a thicker line than the dimension lines and others such as hidden lines.  As a draftsman, one of the things that becomes ingrained is how thick to make what lines.  With old fashion Ink drawings this is done by adjusting the thickness of the quill.  Modern ink drawings it's done with different tipped pens.  No one does hand ink drawings anymore.  I did a few in school only because I had to.  With pencil drawings on vellum it was done with different hardness of lead.  Very hard for laying down initial outlines, soft for body lines, medium hard for dimension lines and slightly softer for lettering and arrowheads.  The hardness used was based on the person and the pressure they liked to use.  Today a computer does it... 

image.png.35c71d86477747e9fe5af3636bd6b9b0.png

• Awesome 2

7 hours ago, donkpow said:

I was taught that in a drafting class eons ago.

I think now they just change the font...

• Haha 1