Learned a new coffee trick

12string

25 minutes ago, 12string said:

Speaking of privileged....

For my birthday, my daughters signed us up for a coffee tasting with a renowned roaster.  Could be a new pinnacle of snobbery for me, but here goes....

I walked in and saw the set up for pour overs, and was immediately disappointed.  Those are basically millennial Mr. Coffee machines.  They still use paper that soaks up all the oils and flavor and water drips through the coffee.

As it turns out, only in the wrong hands.  This guy spent plenty of time with the water, making sure every ground was equally wetted only a little at a time.

The trick:  before adding the coffee, soak the filter.  If it's already wet, it doesn't absorb, the oils pass through!  So simple, and I can't believe I didn't think of this before!

I had to make coffee in the office drip machine today, so I tried it.  A noticeable difference!

And I still prefer french press or perc, but this guy did make those pour overs taste much better than most.

How is a pour over a millennial Mr. Coffee?

That little trick is in the instructions.

I use a paper filter because it absorbs the oils. Sure the coffee tastes better with them in it but the oils have been shown to lower your HDL  cholesterol and mine are already way lower than they should be. It’s just like soup tastes way better with salt added to it but I make soup with no salt added as per cardiologist’s orders. You do what you have to do. Who says food has to taste good anyway?

Just now, Longjohn said:

I use a paper filter because it absorbs the oils. Sure the coffee tastes better with them in it but the oils have been shown to lower your HDL  cholesterol and mine are already way lower than they should be. It’s just like soup tastes way better with salt added to it but I make soup with no salt added as per cardiologist’s orders. You do what you have to do. Who says food has to taste good anyway?

My dad's cardiologist told him if it tastes good spit it out.

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

You can also get a gold filter.

When you use a Melitta Manual, you wet the grounds and let them sit. The filter picks up water, and a bit of oil, but not much. You have to fool around with time and temp, but once you get that nailed, you'll be hard pressed to find a machine that does better, and if you do, they'll cost maybe ten times as much.

55 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

What's wrong with Mr. Coffee coffee made through a dry filter?

Plebeian. Just effing plebeian.

Upper crust folks like me (and jsharr I think) use Mr Coffee with the "stainless-steel, golden-mesh" filter. Step up your game, Silly!

image.png.d169da90417bc5d775c3e2323b1eb773.png

Just now, late said:

you wet the grounds and let them sit.

Bloom.  The temp part is easy to figure out.  You bring your water to a full boil 212*  NEVER make pour over with boiling water.  You use a little of the boiling water on the fresh grounds to allow the grounds to bloom.  You allow them to bloom for 30 to maybe 45 seconds and then pour the water into carafe.  At that point the water has cooled to a perfect coffee making temp.  There is nothing better than a good cup of pour over coffee.

1 hour ago, 12string said:

If it's already wet, it doesn't absorb

Apparently, and I bet @dennis knew this, the same is true with clothing when going to use a hot spring.  If you soak your suit in regular water first before submerging in the sulfurous hot springs, your suit won't smell like rotten eggs the next day. 

Just now, Razors Edge said:

the same is true with clothing when going to use a hot spring.  If you soak your suit in regular water first before submerging in the sulfurous hot springs, your suit won't smell like rotten eggs the next day. 

This is useful to know.

NOT