Is this a good thing, or a bad thing?

12string

No - never.  You should have been at your desk at least looking busy when he walked by.  You need to appear too busy to even notice his arrival - unless he is one of those that appreciates when you stand and bow.

He can get an Joe (or Jeff) off the street to clean up and hold the door.  If that's all he sees you doing then you ARE the door guy.

• Heart 1

44 minutes ago, 12string said:

I snuck in a few extra laps, then hit traffic, so I ended up being a few minutes late for work.  But still just in time to hold the door for my boss on his way in.

If you played it right you told him you were putting in a bit of extra work early this morning and were just getting something out of your car.

All true statements, but very open to interpretation on his part.

18 minutes ago, Dottles said:

The @Kzoo's of the world have trouble grasping this.

When I had a boss I was in before him/her and typically left when my work was finished.  Now I am not the first one in nor am I always the last to leave but I will be working form home to finish a weekly report later this evening and I was doing email before I had breakfast.

Just now, Kzoo said:

When I had a boss I was in before him/her and typically left when my work was finished.  Now I am not the first one in nor am I always the last to leave but I will be working form home to finish a weekly report later this evening and I was doing email before I had breakfast.

This.  I am almost always the first one in and I seldom leave at 5 pm.  And I am working before I leave the house most mornings.  They get their pound of flesh from me.

4 hours ago, Kzoo said:

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

This.  I am almost always the first one in and I seldom leave at 5 pm.  And I am working before I leave the house most mornings.  They get their pound of flesh from me.

I made my name here by staying late and getting stuff done. I'm not a morning guy. Never have been and never will be. I have zero interest in management. My boss sits right across my aisle from me and I am usually in before he gets here -- but that's not by choice. My managers like me because I get shit done and I make them successful. I'm not a doty nor am I good at kissing ass. But I track whatever liberties I take and make sure I pay them back. It's accounting 101. Put more in than what you take. And if they don't like it -- fuck 'em.

• Heart 1