New tarrs

Road Runner

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

Why?

Price match with ad, fast service, free flat repair, they prorate prices if tires do not meet tread life mileage, free rotation, lots of locations, great service and if you spend a bit extra on their "certificates" they replace tires that cannot be repaired.  Been using them for almost 40 years now.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

My truck just failed inspection due to dry-rotted tarrs.  After a little research, I think I will buy a new set of Wranglers from BJ's.

A lot of people I know around here buy their tires from WalMart.  I'm just not that desperate.  :D 

How old were the Tarrs? I’ve never had a dry-rotted tarr failure. If you have a lightweight trailer it doesn’t need to be inspected. My firewood hauling trailer had dry rotted tarrs when I bought it. It had been used with a scale attached to it for weighing cattle and never moved. The tarrs still had the little titties on them but the sidewalls were all cracked. That was over ten years ago and I’m still using that trailer with the same tarrs.

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

How old were the Tarrs? I’ve never had a dry-rotted tarr failure. If you have a lightweight trailer it doesn’t need to be inspected. My firewood hauling trailer had dry rotted tarrs when I bought it. It had been used with a scale attached to it for weighing cattle and never moved. The tarrs still had the little titties on them but the sidewalls were all cracked. That was over ten years ago and I’m still using that trailer with the same tarrs.

The tires are 11 years old but with only 15K on them.  They are cracked all the way around and the inspection place let me slide in the past.  Recent state crackdowns on shoddy inspections caused my inspector to knuckle under, I guess.  I think they are still usable, but regs are regs, I guess.  You can look into the cracks and see the wire cords.  Not good at highway speeds, but I almost never drive on the highways anymore.  

• Sad 1

The tires are 11 years old but with only 15K on them.  They are cracked all the way around and the inspection place let me slide in the past.  Recent state crackdowns on shoddy inspections caused my inspector to knuckle under, I guess.  I think they are still usable, but regs are regs, I guess.  You can look into the cracks and see the wire cords.  Not good at highway speeds, but I almost never drive on the highways anymore.  

You might have to buy tire covers like the old folks with the motor homes use. I always thought that was silly but if they are going to start making you replace perfectly good tarrs just because of a few little cracks I guess it’s worth the trouble. 

55 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Price match with ad, fast service, free flat repair, they prorate prices if tires do not meet tread life mileage, free rotation, lots of locations, great service and if you spend a bit extra on their "certificates" they replace tires that cannot be repaired.  Been using them for almost 40 years now.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I checked here locally and they have almost all excellent reviews.  I think I can get the tires I'm looking at a little cheaper at BJ's, but service means a lot.  I hope to check them both out tomorrow if the weather allows.  Thanks again.  Kzoo was very wrong about you.  

• Heart 1

Thanks for the recommendation.  I checked here locally and they have almost all excellent reviews.  I think I can get the tires I'm looking at a little cheaper at BJ's, but service means a lot.  I hope to check them both out tomorrow if the weather allows.  Thanks again.  Kzoo was very wrong about you.  

You are welcome.  Good thing about Discount is they are everywhere, so if you hundreds of miles from home, they are still there.    I have used them in Lubbock, Corpus Christi, Houston and Dallas.  

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

You are welcome.  Good thing about Discount is they are everywhere, so if you hundreds of miles from home, they are still there.    I have used them in Lubbock, Corpus Christi, Houston and Dallas.  

Shit, Victoria had three of them. You could walk between them. Dunno the logic there.

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

My truck just failed inspection due to dry-rotted tarrs.  After a little research, I think I will buy a new set of Wranglers from BJ's.

A lot of people I know around here buy their tires from WalMart.  I'm just not that desperate.  :D 

When I last needed tires, I found a really good price at Costco, Installed with all fees and recycling charges for $429 (on my little Honda Fit.) They are Bridgestone 60K mile tires that I could find nowhere else for less than $650 total.  They say that most people don't save enough to benefit from the $60 annual membership at Costco but $250 savings for tires, $275 for a TV, $75 for luggage, plus exclusive and excellent priced food, garbage bags, etc. make it a bargain for my 40-50 annual visits, on top of cheaper gasoline at Costco and my 4% cash-back for gasoline at Costco, Exxon, etc. and 3% off restaurants and bar/restaurants and 2% for Costco merchandise with my no-annual-fee Citi Costco Visa (only available to Costco members).

In Maryland, our every-2-year inspections are for emissions only. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but it's good it only costs $14 and only $10 if you use the self-service kiosk where you can simply plug the kiosk's cord into you 2005 or newer vehicle's computer diagnostic port. I took me some time to figure out where that port is on my car and to carefully follow the instructions at the kiosk the first time, but I took pictures of all the steps and it will be a piece of cake in the future - VERY few people use it so you don't wait in line as you do for the full-service test.

405068421_6.passresultTAGVINerased.jpg.8736b4ccbaa1fc7112d86d9a3e82673e.jpg

757203313_3.KioskMachine.jpg.933e478b9c8642688ace8b5f4c0d7040.jpg  1235804024_4.testcablepluggedintoconnectorandoutcar.jpg.67f26b9a228c5ff37c362a8cde9dfe75.jpg

827778109_5.testcablepluggedintoconnector600p.jpg.e5a479290946233e13da2d4ee7af91d6.jpg  1291767936_2.16-pinconnector.jpg.9184be5581d1136c9b619be7540113bd.jpg

Discount tire is OK, but check tirerack.com for pricing and comparison for your car...then price out at Discount.

I haven't used BJ's, mainly because I don't need another membership but used Costco and by far the best price. While in their catalog, had to special order them as run-flats are typically not priced. Essentially the same Bridgestones as the OEM except the OEM is dealer only labeled where mine were the consumer market equivalent. Had one flat that couldn't be repaired and Mini charged me over $1000 for the one tire. When time to replace the were going to give me a special deal on four which I never even asked them the price. Costco had $75 off special on set of 4 Bridgestones which I got for $825 out the door with road hazard warranty. A few months later, hit a pothole destroying one tire. Replaced for free under warranty, just (gladly) paid mount and balance.

2 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Discount tire is OK, but check tirerack.com for pricing and comparison for your car...then price out at Discount.

I haven't used BJ's, mainly because I don't need another membership but used Costco and by far the best price. While in their catalog, had to special order them as run-flats are typically not priced. Essentially the same Bridgestones as the OEM except the OEM is dealer only labeled where mine were the consumer market equivalent. Had one flat that couldn't be repaired and Mini charged me over $1000 for the one tire. When time to replace the were going to give me a special deal on four which I never even asked them the price. Costco had $75 off special on set of 4 Bridgestones which I got for $825 out the door with road hazard warranty. A few months later, hit a pothole destroying one tire. Replaced for free under warranty, just (gladly) paid mount and balance.

Only problem with Tire rack is you lose the nationwide network of stores that will offer free rotaion, free flat repair, prorated mileage discounts on new tires, etc.

I paid $50 for a rotate and balance.  Do that every 5000 miles and for 60,000 miles and any potential savings are out the window I would assume.

9 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

When I last needed tires, I found a really good price at Costco, Installed with all fees and recycling charges for $429 (on my little Honda Fit.) They are Bridgestone 60K mile tires that I could find nowhere else for less than $650 total.  They say that most people don't save enough to benefit from the $60 annual membership at Costco but $250 savings for tires, $275 for a TV, $75 for luggage, plus exclusive and excellent priced food, garbage bags, etc. make it a bargain for my 40-50 annual visits, on top of cheaper gasoline at Costco and my 4% cash-back for gasoline at Costco, Exxon, etc. and 3% off restaurants and bar/restaurants and 2% for Costco merchandise with my no-annual-fee Citi Costco Visa (only available to Costco members).

This...And with my February statement 'in the mail' this years $175 check is on it's way. One thing about that rewards check if you don't want to spend it at Costco, buy a $3 gallon of milk and they will give you $172 change. :D

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Only problem with Tire rack is you lose the nationwide network of stores that will offer free rotaion, free flat repair, prorated mileage discounts on new tires, etc.

I paid $50 for a rotate and balance.  Do that every 5000 miles and for 60,000 miles and any potential savings are out the window I would assume.

I never have actually bought tires through TireRack, rather have used it as a source to compare tires - traction control, wear, snow (in Florida????) etc, and where they stand within that class of tires vs their competitors. It helps me focus on what to look at locally. One thing to be aware of though is that it is limited to the tires they carry - which is expansive. But they don't carry Cooper which I have had good luck with and ran/handles better than the OEM Conti's they replaced.

12 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Coopers from Tire-Rama is our go to store with free balance and rotation.  All the other places you recommend are 150 miles away. Whats the point in buying them in Billings, if I need help with something?

Buy local for sure.  To me, Discount is Local.  But discount is in most states near me, so I use them

https://www.discounttire.com/store

I just checked and the closest discount tire is 60 miles away in Ohio. We have a Flynn’s Tires just outside of Mercer. They have excellent service, large inventory, the price they quote is the only price you pay. Mounting, balancing, tire rotation for the life of tire, free tire repair. The store we go to is their original store but they now have many locations.

I have seen pictures of Discount Tire stores but I don’t see where their warehouses are. Do they carry a large inventory?

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I just checked and the closest discount tire is 60 miles away in Ohio. We have a Flynn’s Tires just outside of Mercer. They have excellent service, large inventory, the price they quote is the only price you pay. Mounting, balancing, tire rotation for the life of tire, free tire repair. The store we go to is their original store but they now have many locations.

I have seen pictures of Discount Tire stores but I don’t see where their warehouses are. Do they carry a large inventory?

Yes they carry a pretty large inventory and they seem to be able to get most tires in a day or two at most in my experience.  But then again, they have a very large number of stores in Texas and the have a 700,000 square foot warehouse in Dallas.

LWIB and installed...... new trailer tires before our up coming trip. Snowmo trailer tires tend to get neglected. They are hidden under the trailer. Seems most people check the PSI, check the tread, give the hubs a few shots of grease, then think they're good for another season. Maybe thats why every few years I have to help one of my buddies change one of their rotted trailer tires on the side of the road in sub zero temps. My tires looked great until I crawled underneath the trailer for a closer look. They were probably fine for around town. But not for those tiny ten inch tires traveling at 70mph for a 600 mile trip. I also decided I"ll replace the axle next fall. Its rusted to the point where I can flake off metal with my fingers. And the torsion suspension is worn out too.  

First pic are the new tires.

tires.jpg

tars.jpg

• Heart 2

22 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Okay.  I went to Discount and they beat BJ's by about $20 on a new set.  So I went ahead and ordered them.  Having them installed Friday morning.  :)

I told them that @jsharr had recommended them to me, but they had absolutely no idea who jsharr was.  :(

You have to use my real name, not my made up name.