New tarrs

Road Runner

Tire Rack, almost always.  Most installers will still give you the free rotation thing, it gets you in their shop so they can upsell you installing summer air.  And they really shouldn't need to be balanced every 5000 miles.

I do replace trailer tarrs at 5 years or when they crack.  Just to many ways they can ruin a trip.  I did replace cracked tarrs on my van, they were about 8 years old and pieces were falling off the sidewall.  The tarrs on the GTI are kind of cracked.  I'm working on using that as an excuse to go +2 as part of the rebuild.

• Heart 1

So, Discount called me at 2:30 and said the taars were in and I could come and have them installed this afternoon.  So I did.  They proved to be everything @jsharr said they were.  Quick, efficient, thorough and, most of all, quick.  I was in at 3:00 and out at 3:35.  4 new Hankook Kinergy taars with taxes and fees, $420.  

Of course, all the techs took turns making fun of me for the low mileage and excellent condition of my truck, but that is par for the course.

Much thanks to jsharr and others who directed me to Discount Tires.  An excellent automotive maintenance experience.  :)

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

57 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

So, Discount called me at 2:30 and said the taars were in and I could come and have them installed this afternoon.  So I did.  They proved to be everything @jsharr said they were.  Quick, efficient, thorough and, most of all, quick.  I was in at 3:00 and out at 3:35.  4 new Hankook Kinergy taars with taxes and fees, $420.  

Of course, all the techs took turns making fun of me for the low mileage and excellent condition of my truck, but that is par for the course.

Much thanks to jsharr and others who directed me to Discount Tires.  An excellent automotive maintenance experience.  :)

That's cheaper than my fatbike tires. Good thing I only need two. 

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, dennis said:

That's cheaper than my fatbike tires. Good thing I only need two. 

The Continental Gran Prix for my road bike is $64 each at Performance.  Even with adding in balancing, mounting, disposal fees and taxes, my truck tires were only $105 each.  The base price per truck tire was about $80 each.  Something seems out of whack, doesn't it? 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Road Runner said:

The Continental Gran Prix for my road bike is $64 each at Performance.  Even with adding in balancing, mounting, disposal fees and taxes, my truck tires were only $105 each.  The base price per truck tire was about $80 each.  Something seems out of whack, doesn't it? 

Volume...

5 hours ago, Road Runner said:

My 20.5x8-10 trailer tires cost me $80 each. But my buddies buy the $60 ones. Their's only last half as long.

tires.jpg

15 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Did you use my real name?

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Did you use my real name?

Yes, but they still didn't have a clue.  BTW, a group of very young guys.  They all seemed quite friendly and knowledgeable.  Except for knowing jsharr, of course.

I got to watch them work through the window partition.  It is like an assembly line.  I was surprised that they use floor jacks only.  No sign of a hoist that I could see.  

46 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Understand, but the vast difference in the amount of material and the material costs would seem to far outweigh the volume issue.    

Only if Material Costs were the largest line item in the manufacture's Cost of Goods Sold.  Look on the side of your Continental bike tire and read the words "Handmade in Germany" (i.e. excessive Labor Costs).  Continental sells 10's of thousands of auto tires pumped out on automated production lines for every bicycle tire sold.  

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Only if Material Costs were the largest line item in the manufacture's Cost of Goods Sold.  Look on the side of your Continental bike tire and read the words "Handmade in Germany" (i.e. excessive Labor Costs).  Continental sells 10's of thousands of auto tires pumped out on automated production lines for every bicycle tire sold.  

This^ I think most good bike tires are made by hand. I doubt Surly sells that many Bud and Lous, maybe a few thousand a year.