Do you have a recurring dream theme?

MickinMD

I have a recurring dream theme that happens a few times every year where I can't find something specific that should be easy to find and I spend a lot of time not finding it: a street, a building, a car, a person, something small, etc.  Perhaps my subconscious is telling me there's something I haven't found or accomplished yet in life but the objects or people I can't find sure don't give me a clue.

Last night in a dream I had another with that theme.  I parked my car near a restaurant (the dream was in color: a big yellow sign was above the doors) at 72nd street (there is no such street in the location I was in, but I didn't realize that in the dream). I walked a short distance into a building of Johns Hopkins University (not a JHU building I know in real-life, a sort of museum-looking place: huge with lots of rooms and hallways) and after an indeterminate time wanted to leave and go to my car. I walked outside and realized I had exited from a different door than the one I had entered.

So I walked back into the building and tried to retrace my steps to find the door I had entered close to my car. At one point, I looked out a window and saw a signpost that read "4th Street." In the dream it didn't occur to me that I couldn't be in a 68 block-long building (having entered near 72nd St.), but when I looked out a while later and saw a sign that read, "9th Street," I realized it was going to take forever to get to 72nd Street.  I figured there must be some unusual street numbering, so I went outside and soon got completely lost on a darkish street with row houses on one side and a high stone wall on the other that prevented a long view for orientation purposes.

I had asked people I passed by, inside and outside, how to get to the restaurant (I remembered it's name in the dream) my car was parked near and how to get to 72nd Street. Some said they didn't know, some ignored me.

I don't know how much longer the dream lasted but it remained a continued, very frustrating inability to figure out where my car and the restaurant near it was. Then I woke up, relieved of the fact I wasn't really lost.

• Hugs 1

37 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

have a recurring dream theme that happens a few times every year where I can't find something specific that should be easy to find and I spend a lot of time not finding it: a street, a building, a car, a person, something small, etc.  Perhaps my subconscious is telling me there's something I haven't found or accomplished yet in life but the objects or people I can't find sure don't give me a clue.

If ever in a dream you have to pee and can’t find a restroom when you finally do find it you better not pee.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I have a recurring dream theme that happens a few times every year where I can't find something specific that should be easy to find and I spend a lot of time not finding it: a street, a building, a car, a person, something small, etc.  Perhaps my subconscious is telling me there's something I haven't found or accomplished yet in life but the objects or people I can't find sure don't give me a clue.

That is probably the recurring theme of most of my dreams, there is something that should be easy to do that I just struggle and struggle with.  It is annoying!

I have recurring dreams where I'm back at a place I used to work, not always the same place, but there has always been major changes, like Mad Max type changes. Sometimes I'm alone, sometimes with someone, often a  person who is now dead.  We or I are always searching for something, what is never clear, and we have to avoid the people that are there now. It often has a Lord of the Rings in Mordor  feel. And it always ends very nebulously, often we pass through a door and go from a heavy industry setting to cubicle land and are easing toward where I remember the main entrance to be when the dream fades away. Never a sudden ending, just kinda fades away.

So analyze that, I sure don't know.   :dontknow: 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

I've had a dream several times where I'm back in high school. In the dream there is one particular class, English I think, where I've never attended, but still feel I'll pass at the end of the semester :) not sure how it turns oot :scratchhead: or how that's even possible :blink:. Damn cliff hanger dreams.

14 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I used to fly a lot in my dreams but not so much lately.  I've apparently been grounded. :(

I never had a dream where I flew.  I have jumping dreams. Similar to flying, I can jump as high as a plane can fly.

One of the dreams I have about every 3-4 months is that I am back in Toledo. I go to an apartment. Sometimes my apartment is my college apartment, other times it is my college girlfriend's apartment. Every time, it is my first time in the apartment since college.  Then, I wonder why I paid for the apartment for the last 20 years. 

Another common dreams is that I am back to bartending and I can't keep up with the number of drinks people are ordering.  That one usually comes when I am stressed.

30 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

That's what most of my dreams are about. Almost always involving putting the truck in impossible places, or getting tied up at the border for not having crossing papers in order.

When I quit driving I still had some time left on my CDL before I had to renew it. The owner of the trucking company was always trying to talk me into coming back to work for him. He made all kind of offers like I could keep my job and just drive for him on weekends.or just haul one load a week. He would cry the blues and say how much he needed me. When my CDL came up for renewal I didn’t renew it. That’s when the nightmares started. He would talk me into hauling a load out east. I told him I didn’t had a commercial drivers license anymore. He said just run around the scales and don’t get pulled over for speeding and you will be ok. My dreams were then always driving without a license and trying to get around the scales.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, groupw said:

The variation on the getting lost dreams. I always start being with someone I'm fond of. They have to go do something. I either get sent to do something or they say come to where they are and I can never get back to them. 

That sound like real life for me trying to find my wife in Walmart.

The cell phones really helped with that. If I can’t find her right away I call her.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

When I quit driving I still had some time left on my CDL before I had to renew it. The owner of the trucking company was always trying to talk me into coming back to work for him. He made all kind of offers like I could keep my job and just drive for him on weekends.or just haul one load a week. He would cry the blues and say how much he needed me. When my CDL came up for renewal I didn’t renew it. That’s when the nightmares started. He would talk me into hauling a load out east. I told him I didn’t had a commercial drivers license anymore. He said just run around the scales and don’t get pulled over for speeding and you will be ok. My dreams were then always driving without a license and trying to get around the scales.

I have not driven a truck in over 4 years and now that I am over 65 I have to get a medical every year to maintain my license. Not quite ready to surrender it just yet and medical is due in a little over a week so going to do it for at least another year 

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

I never, ever remember my dreams.  It could be Groundhog Day every night and I would never know.  I sometimes remember snippets of my dream for the first 5 seconds of being awake and then - poof.  It took me 60+ years to determine that I dream n color.

Just color or Techni-color?  

Just now, Wilbur said:

Just color or Techni-color?  

I have no idea.  I always wondered if I dreamt in color.  One of the few times I remembered a piece of my dream as I woke up I remember thinking about something and I remembered it in color.  And then..... poof it was gone.  But I knew it had been in color.

• Heart 1