Trying to keep my mouth shut

BR46

Yeah, racing will always be a somewhat dangerous sport, but if you are going to blow off after an accident, you better be sure you are not guilty of the same thing you are accusing them of doing.  Otherwise, it just comes across as sour grapes because this time you were on the receiving end and didn't like the outcome.

• Heart 3

20 minutes ago, BR46 said:

The sidecar race this past weekend ( we did not attend) had a crash between two sidecar teams where the monkey on one of the sidecars got hurt. Kevin was released from the hospital last night and is posting on Facebook his side of the story. How the other team was at fault and how they should be suspended for a while from racing.

In one line in Kevin's story he said...if you don't have the lead going into the turn and can't make a clean pass YOU NEED TO BACK OFF

Here's where it's hard for me. Two years ago racing at Barber Motorsports park the sidecar team that Kevin is the co-driver of hit Wo46 and I in almost the exact situation. We didn't have any injuries but I did have some fiberglass body parts of there sidecar stuck in my sidecar. I have some paint from their sidecar on my right boot and they just missed Wo46 head with their fender by inches.

We don't want to see anybody get hurt in this sport and throwing salt on old wounds won't solve anything. But right now I'm having a hard time keeping my mouth shut. 

Thank you for just letting me vent.

give me your log in on Facebook.  Problem solved.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yeah, racing will always be a somewhat dangerous sport, but if you are going to blow off after an accident, you better be sure you are not guilty of the same thing you are accusing them of doing.  Otherwise, it just comes across as sour grapes because this time you were on the receiving end and didn't like the outcome.

Exactly. .....that's why I'm having a hard time keeping my mouth shut 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Exactly. .....that's why I'm having a hard time keeping my mouth shut 

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure you are talking a fairly small and tight community of racers.  So most are probably already thinking the same thing as you.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

About the only thing I don't like about your chosen sport is the "monkey vulnerability" factor.  They assume some high risk positions out there with the head in close proximity to shite.  We all do inherently risky stuff and you seem to be able to control emotion, even if biting the tongue is the control.  Rock on BR46. 

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yeah, but why leave any doubt?  Flame the guy.

For the same reason he shouldn't be saying it, it might come back to bite you in the ass.

So of course I'd say something, my wife says I have no ass, so I got nothing to worry about.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

For the same reason he shouldn't be saying it, it might come back to bite you in the ass.

So of course I'd say something, my wife says I have no ass, so I got nothing to worry about.

so he needs to give YOU his facebook login credentials?

• Heart 1

One  of the big issues here is the sidecar that did the hit was involved in this type of incident before. Bill didn't start out with a slower class he jumped in both feet in a F-1 sidecar. I personally don't think that he can handle the power. 

At some of the tracks modern rigs run with the vintage. Most vintage rigs have a top speed of around 110 mph where F-1 has a top speed of 175 mph. 

Last year Bill flipped his rig twice because he grabbed to much throttle. Scraped the guardrail on pit out...to much throttle on cold tires. Rear ended a sidecar rig in the final race of last year. Rear ended a sidecar in the first race of this year. 

I heard that Bill is going to be suspended for a few races and then put on probation when he returns. 

• Heart 3

9 minutes ago, BR46 said:

One  of the big issues here is the sidecar that did the hit was involved in this type of incident before. Bill didn't start out with a slower class he jumped in both feet in a F-1 sidecar. I personally don't think that he can handle the power. 

At some of the tracks modern rigs run with the vintage. Most vintage rigs have a top speed of around 110 mph where F-1 has a top speed of 175 mph. 

Last year Bill flipped his rig twice because he grabbed to much throttle. Scraped the guardrail on pit out...to much throttle on cold tires. Rear ended a sidecar rig in the final race of last year. Rear ended a sidecar in the first race of this year. 

I heard that Bill is going to be suspended for a few races and then put on probation when he returns. 

That is a positive outcome.  

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Yeah, sounds like he doesn't belong out there.  Rear ending people on a motorcycle?  Pretty sure you can only blame the driver there.

And yeah, everyone in the racing community knows what kind of an idiot they are dealing with, with that kind of track record.  Can't imagine any of them are to thrilled to be out on a track with him.

15 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Is Bill the sort of guy who can be taken under the wing of a mentor and brought up to speed?

I say this because I was very fortunate to have a very experienced professional racer take the time to teach me a great deal that I did not know about drag racing.  He taught me how to drive, what to do and what not to do.  Then he pointed out the mistakes that other car and driver combos were making and what the possible results of those actions were.  Most importantly he infused me with a spirit of professionalism.  One such rule was "don't talk about other racers".  They don't need any more help in trying to beat you.

This seems especially important in the vintage series you race in where community might matter more than outright winning at any cost.  

37 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Is Bill the sort of guy who can be taken under the wing of a mentor and brought up to speed?

Bill has been hanging around with one of the top sidecar racer in our sport. Peter has been coaching Bill but I don't know if Bill is catching on.

Peter Essaff has raced the Isle of man several times. For the people who don't know what the Isle of man is  here's a video of sidecar racing at the Isle.

• Awesome 1

26 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Ah

Nope.

:unsure:

And that's coming from a top fuel guy. 

We were racing in Ohio when I came around and was asking questions about sidecar racing. Well it turns out that the guy asking questions at one time was a top fuel drag bike rider. When Wo46 stepped out of the motorhome half dressed in her race suit the top fuel drag racer said.....you ride that? Your fucking nuts. I had a confused look on my face and said but you ride a nitro methane bomb at 200 mph while laying on top of the motor. I've seen the motors let go.