A question for the metal workers or knife guys..

Wilbur

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

Generally, only if you allow heat to build or be retained in the blank.

Some blanks have a core that is different than the outside of the blade. If the blade is already ground, you may be able to see if there is a core of metal that is different than the outside.

Yeah, this.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Generally, only if you allow heat to build or be retained in the blank.

Some blanks have a core that is different than the outside of the blade. If the blade is already ground, you may be able to see if there is a core of metal that is different than the outside.

Hmm.  May be difficult.  

706207DA-9373-4494-8F58-C510956B61CD.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Hmm.  May be difficult.  

706207DA-9373-4494-8F58-C510956B61CD.jpeg

How to say this? It is unlikely that blade has a core different than the outside due to the nature of the blade's construction, assuming the blade is not a 'fake' Damascus steel blade.  To create that look, the blade is folded multiple times during construction. Is that your skiving knife?

• Heart 2

28 minutes ago, donkpow said:

How to say this? It is unlikely that blade has a core different than the outside due to the nature of the blade's construction, assuming the blade is not a 'fake' Damascus steel blade.  To create that look, the blade is folded multiple times during construction. Is that your skiving knife?

Yep, it is.  Actually, no, I use a Japanese skiving knife but I want to convert this to a skiving knife. 

I wouldn't have trouble changing the edge, especially since it will be a working knife. If you could do it all cold that would work easily. File + stones. The folded type blade includes steel with two different carbon contents. This allows the blade to be strong and tough. Unfortunately, the high carbon steel will burn with heat applied. I say avoid power tools.

The old Samurai blades are masterpieces of construction techniques and art. If you like this type of thing.

• Heart 1