#JusticeForDaniel

Page Turner

The 144th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show crowned its Best in Show on Tuesday night, bestowing the honour upon a black standard poodle named Siba. 

In usual circumstances we can all agree that all dogs are good dogs, and no dog is more good than others. But the Westminster Dog Show is not usual circumstances. Pitting pup against pup, this thunderdome forces its audience to evaluate the goodness of dogs against each other, whittling them down in a brutal competition to find the Best in Show.

The ritual was completed again this week, when the Westminster Dog Show bestowed the coveted title upon Siba. Indeed, few would disagree that Siba is a very good dog. 

However, many viewers were unconvinced Siba was the best — not when Daniel was around.

The internet has exploded with vocal support for Daniel the golden retriever, winner of the Sporting category. (All dogs at the Westminster Dog Show compete in one of seven categories — Sporting, Hound, Working, Terrier, Toy, Non-Sporting, and Herding — with Best in Show picked from one of the winners.)

Daniel instantly charmed everyone with his joyful smile, sweet demeanour, and undeniable fluffiness. Carrying his bright blue Sporting ribbon off in his mouth, it seemed impossible to conceive there could be a gooder dog in the competition.

https://justrealnews.ca/2020/02/12/the-internet-demands-justice-for-daniel-the-westminster-dog-shows-real-winner/

Daniel-the-golden-retriever-wins-the-spowestminster-dog-show-2020-siba-the-stand

...I demand an explanation.  Freedom Fries !!! It's a rigged system, folks !!

• Heart 4

On Wednesday, Daniel was sanguine about the loss. “He is happy to be home and just hanging out,” Tammy Tomlinson, one of Daniel’s owners, said in an interview.

“This morning, he dug himself a nice hole in the backyard and decided to lie in it,” she added.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/12/sports/westminster-golden-retriever-daniel.html

...the best revenge is a nice fresh hole to lie in.  #fuckit_I'm_home.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

It is well known that golden retrievers are the bestest ever.

Oden the Shedder is utraged

2016-08-04 15.28.34.jpg

No, every one knows it's between Border Collies and Aussies for the best.  They are so dominant that they are basically barrier from winning best in show because the dominate pretty much everything else.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Indy said:

No, every one knows it's between Border Collies and Aussies for the best.  They are so dominant that they are basically barrier from winning best in show because the dominate pretty much everything else.

They get more than their share of group wins.  They were my nemesis when I was showing Bouviers. 

As for judging, there are always biases whether it be a handler that puts a large number of dogs forward or kennel friends or fellow judges, etc, etc.  It can be very political and unless you have a dog that is absolutely stellar, anything can happen.  I think both the Golden and Poodle were amazing and any of the dogs could have won BIS.  IT is what the judge favoured at the time of the call and for whatever reason. 

50 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I think (but am to lazy to check) that Terrier's (in particular the wired hair fox terriers) have won the most at WDS.

And for the record, bestest dogs far and away are Labs, and Chocolates are the best of the best

I checked and you are correct, sir!  Wire haired fox terriers and Scottish terriers. Boston terrorists have a huge drought. :(

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, jsharr said:

How much did @AirwickWithCheese pay you to post that?  

Cheese would be rooting for a Jack Russell.

10 hours ago, Randomguy said:

You people who think dogs are hot are sick. 

Siba had the cutest little butt of the group.

9 hours ago, Zephyr said:

bestest dogs far and away are Labs, and Chocolates are the best of the best

Mutts.  It is impossible to be better than a rescue mutt.

• Heart 2