Why do so many old people want to be president?

Road Runner

Not a political thread.  Both major parties.  Being a senior citizen myself, I don't understand the attraction of such a stressful job during the final years of life.

Would you want to be president?  At the age of 70 to 80+ ?    :o

Trump currently holds the record for the oldest to ever enter the office for the first time, taking office at 70 years and 220 days old.  

Sen. Elizabeth Warren is 70. She would be 71 years and 212 days old upon taking office in 2021.

Former Vice President Joe Biden is 77, and he would be 78 years and 61 days old on Inauguration Day 2021.

Former Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York City is also 77. He would be 78 years and 341 days old upon taking office.

Sen. Bernie Sanders is 78. He would be 79 years and 134 days old upon assuming office.

I hope whoever becomes vice president isn't too old and is relatively healthy.  With this group, 4 years could be a long time.   :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I agree completely. Who needs  all that hassle at an old age?  

I was just looking at the obits in my local newspaper (I check it daily to make sure I am not in there) and most of the people listed today were younger than 77, many much younger.  

We have a minimum age to run for president.., maybe we should have a maximum age.  My brian doesn't work nearly as good as it did 30 years ago.  I'm not sure we want someone in office who can't remember where he left the keys to Air Force One.

No political comments, please.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I think during the last Presidential election, the news reported that candidates always increase their net worth when they run for president. Even if they drop out early. Think about it. If the company you worked for gave you paid time off to get rich, wouldn't you do it?

sounds mythological...it's a helluva  lots of energy to raise campaign funds even if one is rich.  But then Obama wasn't rich to begin with when he ran.  

Yea, true, often we have younger Canadian federal candidates....even the Conservatives in Canada will probably vote for their next leader....who will be younger than Presidential candidates...meaning someone in their 40's-50's.  Just ok.  However, Prime Minister can be in power for more than 2 terms

6 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Not a political thread.  Both major parties.  Being a senior citizen myself, I don't understand the attraction of such a stressful job during the final years of life.

Would you want to be president?  At the age of 70 to 80+ ? 

I wouldn't want to be president.  Wouldn't mind being a Supreme Court Justice though.

• Heart 3

8 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I hope whoever becomes vice president isn't too old and is relatively healthy.  With this group, 4 years could be a long time

The challenge with this "back up plan" is that a President has pretty much perfect healthcare, and short of a truly debilitating stroke, anything that happens to them - however awful and incapacitating to "normal" folks - will likely be ignored and the Presidency will be run by the yes men.  Reagan's final years are a sign of how a previously competent and quick witted Pres can become a titular leader with some cronies running wild in his name.

Of course, that's just playing with the odds since a 35 yr old can have a stroke or a fatal heart attack.  Less likely, but it surely can happen. Also, mental health issues crop up as we age, but they are certainly present across the whole age spectrum.  Given the option in a leader, I'd first choose policy, so an 80 year old "moderate" is a 100000000x more valuable to me than an ultra-nutjob who is 60.