Outdoor artwork in your area

shootingstar

Well, we don't live in this neighbourhood. It is within cycling distance.

This outdoor scultpture is called:  "Rooting out Evil".  It was installed temporarily in downtown Vancouver over a decade ago...and did cause local uproar on using the symbol of a church, etc.  

Then it got moved around.  It was in our prairie city about 9 years ago ...and then somehow reappeared last year again in a different neighbourhood close to downtown..where more people can see it.  I like interesting permanent outdoor sculptures and other artwork in a city...where I've lived and visited.

rooting out evil.JPG

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

I'm amazed at what passes for art in some public places. I'm gonna bet @shootingstar knows where this big plastic turd fine exhibit is.

art.jpg

Is that on a university campus or hospital grounds?  It's been nearly 19 yrs. ago since I've lived in Toronto area.

Not exactly outdoor, but at a subway station near a museum in Toronto:

nativeindian.jpg

Blend of ceramic mosaic images outside a subway station... I think it's Coxwell or 1 stop before in Toronto.  Also statement on public transportation access rights for all.

coxwell-station2.jpg

Last year here in prairie city, the permanent public art budget got cut and the councillors felt they could judge. I don't think that's a good idea since it will easily introduce favouritism.  Below in downtown Calgary.

Wire metal head sculpture permanent art at front plaza in Bow Building. Downtown Calgary, AB. Photo by J. Becker 2013

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Neither. It's on Frederick St in Kitchener in front of the court house. It's been there a long time now, so I thought you might have remembered it.

No, and that would have been by a building funded by the province, not by the municipality. However, I'm certain some non-representational (what lay people term as "realistic" art) art would be found on the university grounds in Waterloo.

I seldom ventured in that section of Kitchener.  I was always closer to King St. West, North, South, and sometimes East. :loveshower::huh:

Nearby Deland has some phenomenal murals but haven't  been over there to photo yet after seeing the documentation and background in the newspaper.

Rebuilding Sanford downtown area. Some local art commissioned, and one artist had historical items donated that incorporated into the store facia.

(Winter Park and Orlando will be on another upload as taken with iPhone and on that camera roll...not on PC)

Sanford-2500px-1.jpg

Sanford-2500px-4.jpg

Sanford-2500px-5.jpg

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Well, we don't live in this neighbourhood. It is within cycling distance.

This outdoor scultpture is called:  "Rooting out Evil".  It was installed temporarily in downtown Vancouver over a decade ago...and did cause local uproar on using the symbol of a church, etc.  

Then it got moved around.  It was in our prairie city about 9 years ago ...and then somehow reappeared last year again in a different neighbourhood close to downtown..where more people can see it.  I like interesting permanent outdoor sculptures and other artwork in a city...where I've lived and visited.

rooting out evil.JPG

Actually, we have one like that but it is the business facia for "Ripley's Believe It or Not" down on the tourist strip.

We went to the Canadian Canoe Museum in Peterborough Ontario...which is only 100 km. northeast (or less) from Toronto. A really cool place that gives preserved canoes from different tribes, its history, importance for Canada.  https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/07/canadian-canoe-museum-plying-waters-of-culture-history-and-geographic-exploration/   Different groups have different designs. Also collection of historic (Inuit) kayaks.

Downtown I noticed this wonderful metalwork..in a former telephone exchange building.  

Copper metal artwork embedded in wood door of former Bell telephone exchange building. Downtown Peterborough, ON 2015. Photo by J.Chong

In Orlando, Lake Eola is the “signature” lake known for it’s fountain  in downtown, but other artwork along the one mile loop, notably the reclining lady and the flying seagulls.

Winter Park is the city of arts. In addition to the museums and galleries, there is artwork throughout. Yearly, some of the Tiffany Glass is removed from the Morse Museum and assembled for a night in Central Park as part of a multi-night tree lighting ceremony and concerts. Photos chosen, while does show the permanent Peacock fountain, there is the annual arts festival, one of the largest in the country, a must attend for artist, and highly competitive to be selected for the over 600 spaces available.

94303FF7-AE8C-4F73-B0E3-3DE177979FAE.jpeg

C15381BA-FC03-4C10-973C-42282E8DA038.jpeg

A44A2DBE-DAC3-45DE-A42E-7C51C042F8C0.jpeg

08349BCA-9C01-467B-8BDE-CCF882986D3C.jpeg

13A194A5-F954-48E7-AAA0-BB064C461566.jpeg

71961CE7-56EC-4F18-844C-43998809BB7D.jpeg

E06BEACC-3CC9-4650-AF23-3A2B7298B01F.jpeg

• Awesome 1

14 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

In Orlando, Lake Eola is the “signature” lake known for it’s fountain  in downtown, but other artwork along the one mile loop, notably the reclining lady and the flying seagulls.

Winter Park is the city of arts. In addition to the museums and galleries, there is artwork throughout. Yearly, some of the Tiffany Glass is removed from the Morse Museum and assembled for a night in Central Park as part of a multi-night tree lighting ceremony and concerts. Photos chosen, while does show the permanent Peacock fountain, there is the annual arts festival, one of the largest in the country, a must attend for artist, and highly competitive to be selected for the over 600 spaces available.

94303FF7-AE8C-4F73-B0E3-3DE177979FAE.jpeg

C15381BA-FC03-4C10-973C-42282E8DA038.jpeg

A44A2DBE-DAC3-45DE-A42E-7C51C042F8C0.jpeg

08349BCA-9C01-467B-8BDE-CCF882986D3C.jpeg

13A194A5-F954-48E7-AAA0-BB064C461566.jpeg

71961CE7-56EC-4F18-844C-43998809BB7D.jpeg

E06BEACC-3CC9-4650-AF23-3A2B7298B01F.jpeg

Fantastic.  Bottom one is what I love in terms of something quite provoking.

Toronto has a major summer outdoor art exhibit for approx. 300+ artists outside city hall.  When I lived there, I would visit it annually. Bike from the suburbs where I lived into downtown.  If at a convenient location as a visitor, I will visit a local area's art/museum galleries. It gives me a clue to a local area's creativity...well, a fragment of it.

18 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

I have posted this before but not anywhere local. Vevey, CH, Lac Leman (Lake Geneva)

45517102-6495-48EE-9FE1-61E75CC5319D.jpeg

I very much believe visual arts, creative writing, performing arts and music have positive value to our lives....and when it doesn't exist at all in our lives, it's empty, a void...then it can become unhealthy for many folks. Something probably a lot of people can't quite verbalize or even understand. Except all they know is that they are stagnating,

I wrote this several years ago:  Unleashing Positive Creativity:  Saving Lives
For every story about a person’s deep depression, crime, perceived major failures or violence, I wonder if some negativity may have been avoided for some people.  If a person’s flagging energy and psyche had been redirected to discovery and development of hidden natural talents never revealed as a child or teen, there may have been another rebirth.

https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/03/humanities-and-arts-talent-and-creativity-redefines-logic/

• Heart 1

Here are a few, but there are more. The metal horses were a temporary display, but the sign in permanent. The mural is on Main Street. The barb wire sculpture is in front of the Waterworks Art Museum. The metal horse sculpture made by the lady that owns the Spoonful Coffee Shop and Girl Run Away with the Spoon Shop appears in the Riverside Park, as does the last painting.

_I0A1571card2web.jpg

_I0A1571web2.jpg

0V2A6258.jpg

0V2A6265.jpg

0V2A6273.jpg

0V2A6276.jpg

0V2A6279.jpg

Love it! I’m all for public art. ‘Burque has lots of interesting artwork, and the neon signs for motels along Route 66 have been restored via a federal grant. 
Alphabet Soup is installed outside a library, and random letters are scattered along the MUT nearby. 

329771E9-830E-402D-82C7-0ED4D09CB7D2.png

• Heart 1

We have this sculpture of two naked people flying with two naked swans in our downtown park

4939353973_88b201e561_b.jpg

We've got this thing outside the library 

b037165b1fbb5c3443f2dc9fbc2c8015--birmin

Also the Detroit art museum has made reproductions of some of their collection and they'll display them at random places around the area during summer months,

13 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Here are a few, but there are more. The metal horses were a temporary display, but the sign in permanent. The mural is on Main Street. The barb wire sculpture is in front of the Waterworks Art Museum. The metal horse sculpture made by the lady that owns the Spoonful Coffee Shop and Girl Run Away with the Spoon Shop appears in the Riverside Park, as does the last painting.

_I0A1571card2web.jpg

_I0A1571web2.jpg

0V2A6258.jpg

0V2A6265.jpg

0V2A6273.jpg

0V2A6276.jpg

0V2A6279.jpg

Those metal horse sculptures are similar to this one below in downtown Calgary.  Living in Alberta, it's highly noticeable about more horse events and knowing people who own horses also.  Not the same when I lived in Ontario and Vancouver.  People in Calgary aren't necessarily rich (who are urban folks) who own horses.  I've had parents gently complain about paying for their almost adult child's horse husbandry, etc.

More horse art in our area here:  https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2015/06/05/prairies-declaration-of-horse-love-in-art/   I enjoyed doing this blog post and seeking out the photo shoots.

Metal horse sculpture. Stephen's Ave. Calgary AB 2014. Photo by J. Chong

In downtown Toronto by St. Lawrence Market...they redid a water fountain.  At first, it looks abit strange but then one realizes it's lots of fun with the dogs as main feature.

dogbone-fountain.jpg

And of course, some community gardens are creative with recycled stuff into art:

Vancouver, by a major bike route just 3 km. north of downtown

Bike wheels transformed into garden screen for Mount Pleasant community garden. Along Ontario St. bike route. Vancouver 2012. Photo by J. Chong

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Those metal horse sculptures are similar to this one below in downtown Calgary.  Living in Alberta, it's highly noticeable about more horse events and knowing people who own horses also.  Not the same when I lived in Ontario and Vancouver.  People in Calgary aren't necessarily rich (who are urban folks) who own horses.  I've had parents gently complain about paying for their almost adult child's horse husbandry, etc.

More horse art in our area here:  https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2015/06/05/prairies-declaration-of-horse-love-in-art/   I enjoyed doing this blog post and seeking out the photo shoots.

Metal horse sculpture. Stephen's Ave. Calgary AB 2014. Photo by J. Chong

The metal horse sculpture in the park of the mare and foal were commissioned with monies collected to buy the horse herd on the range.  They were never able to raise enough money for the herd and later opted for the one in the park.  There is another herd of Bleu Horses near Three Forks, Montana by the same sculptor.

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, Indy said:

To much of it, that to much taxpayer money was spent on, and usually looks like a pile of scrap metal that I paid someone to get rid of.

Vancouver sponsors a mural art festival annually in the past 3-4 years each spring-summer....various artists through competition and selection, organize some others and they paint permanent mural art in some older parts of the city....it's turned into a tourist attraction areas....  it can be of benefit to city areas that need visual rejuvenation and if done properly, can be a better environment for those living nearby.  It's ultimately cheaper (and bigger visual impact) than planting a ton of flowers that need landscaping/pruning.

Calgary has only gotten into big scale public outdoor permanent art murals in the last 5 years. It's important our city right now in economic depression, doesn't look like a deserted shit hole...  we also have more condos being constructed downtown and so those people appreciate living in a less visually sterile area. 

On 2/15/2020 at 8:31 PM, shootingstar said:

Outdoor artwork in your area.

We've got quite a bit randomly spread around town, but I am pretty lazy and never photograph it.  They also just installed a new piece a couple weeks ago that I will check out if I wander up to the Apple store tomorrow.

This woman has a blog with quite a few nice pictures:

Reston Rondo, by Mary Ann Mears at Reston Town Center

Midtown Community Mural, by Dana Ann Scheurer at Reston Town Center

Wakan, by Richard Lew in Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, Indy said:

To much of it, that to much taxpayer money was spent on, and usually looks like a pile of scrap metal that I paid someone to get rid of.

We have a shiny aluminum yucca on a hillside to the east of town that I have mixed feelings about. At night it's illuminated by multi-colored lights. It simultaneously distracts from and calls attention to the natural yucca plants in the area.

aluminum yucca.jpeg

4 hours ago, roadsue said:

We have a shiny aluminum yucca on a hillside to the east of town that I have mixed feelings about. At night it's illuminated by multi-colored lights. It simultaneously distracts from and calls attention to the natural yucca plants in the area.

aluminum yucca.jpeg

I can see what you mean....it would be like erecting a steel temperate rainforest huge Douglas fir tree sculpture (which such a sculpture doesn't exist. I'm just hypothetically giving an equivalent example.) in Vancouver in a park there were the real same trees and are just magnificent living giants to see.  Yucca sculpture might have been better off in a grassy park area...desert in the grass suggestion or something like that.

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

This was a piece of rocket shaped playground equipment.  I played on it when I was a kid.  There was an uproar when the city finally had to take it down due to safety and codes.

It was turned into an art installation and is now the gateway to the park

Image result for heights park sculpture

That is very striking as a park gateway... at night.  And good for safety reasons also.

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

We've got quite a bit randomly spread around town, but I am pretty lazy and never photograph it.  They also just installed a new piece a couple weeks ago that I will check out if I wander up to the Apple store tomorrow.

This woman has a blog with quite a few nice pictures:

Reston Rondo, by Mary Ann Mears at Reston Town Center

Midtown Community Mural, by Dana Ann Scheurer at Reston Town Center

Wakan, by Richard Lew in Reston, Virginia

She does have a great blog on art and architecture, etc.  Some great pieces in your area, Razor.

• Heart 1