Wilbur to the pucker phone please

Zephyr

Okay, this is cool as hell.  I assume you train for this, but is there still something of a pucker factor when landing in crosswinds like this?

Is there a 'science' or are you just going by the feel of the aircraft?  So many questions.

On second thought, don't tell me.  I will just chauk it up to magic and sorcery 

• Heart 1

That is one beautiful bit of flying.

In order to stay over the runway he has to fly into the wind, but at an angle that keeps him over the runway.

Usually the pilot straightens out just before touchdown. But the crosswind was so strong it must have been too dangerous to do that. Using the wind also lets him land at a slower speed. I'd like to buy him a stiff drink.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

39 minutes ago, late said:

That is one beautiful bit of flying.

In order to stay over the runway he has to fly into the wind, but at an angle that keeps him over the runway.

Usually the pilot straightens out just before touchdown. But the crosswind was so strong it must have been too dangerous to do that. Using the wind also lets him land at a slower speed. I'd like to buy him a stiff drink.

Buy this guy a drink, he needed one.. 

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Okay, this is cool as hell.  I assume you train for this, but is there still something of a pucker factor when landing in crosswinds like this?

Is there a 'science' or are you just going by the feel of the aircraft?  So many questions.

On second thought, don't tell me.  I will just chauk it up to magic and sorcery 

Yes, you have to train and check to the highest demonstrated crosswind for the type.  Normally, that is about 25 knots.  A demonstrated crosswind is not a limit so we routinely fly in conditions that exceed that.  That is when it becomes feel.  The highest wind I have landed in was 98 knots at Sandspit but it was right on the nose.  The highest crosswind was 57 knots at Resolute Bay on a permafrost runway.   So, as late said, you are maneuvering in a moving mass and transitioning to a fixed mass.   The crab is required to maintain position over the ground.  Sometimes we straighten the aircraft with rudder to save tire wear, sometimes you are better off just planting it with the crab.  How bad do you want to get on the ground? :) 

• Heart 2

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Buy this guy a drink, he needed one.. 

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yes, you have to train and check to the highest demonstrated crosswind for the type.  Normally, that is about 25 knots.  A demonstrated crosswind is not a limit so we routinely fly in conditions that exceed that.  That is when it becomes feel.  The highest wind I have landed in was 98 knots at Sandspit but it was right on the nose.  The highest crosswind was 57 knots at Resolute Bay on a permafrost runway.   So, as late said, you are maneuvering in a moving mass and transitioning to a fixed mass.   The crab is required to maintain position over the ground.  Sometimes we straighten the aircraft with rudder to save tire wear, sometimes you are better off just planting it with the crab.  How bad do you want to get on the ground? :) 

You definitely earn your salaries on days like these.  Hell, I'd buy a few drinks.

• Heart 1