When did you start to rage?

Randomguy

Transfer rights mean that teachers have control over where they work.  If state departments of ed. pass rules that teachers no longer have that control, it means we can be moved into whatever school the superintendent wants.  

Our "south valley" high school currently has 10 openings for math teachers and nobody is applying because that's the area of town where most people speak different languages, live in high poverty, gang activity.  The superintendent wants to be able to transfer teachers into that school without the teacher having the right to decide whether that's where they want to work. He currently has the ability to move principals at will, and wants the same for teachers.  

Now President Obama is on board with moving teachers against their better judgement as well.  

Transfer rights mean that teachers have control over where they work.  If state departments of ed. pass rules that teachers no longer have that control, it means we can be moved into whatever school the superintendent wants.  

Our "south valley" high school currently has 10 openings for math teachers and nobody is applying because that's the area of town where most people speak different languages, live in high poverty, gang activity.  The superintendent wants to be able to transfer teachers into that school without the teacher having the right to decide whether that's where they want to work. He currently has the ability to move principals at will, and wants the same for teachers.  

Now President Obama is on board with moving teachers against their better judgement as well.  

The only question I have is, why in the hell does the Federal Government have the power to make such decrees?  I would consider this a local issue.  One that isn't even state level but district level.  A level between the local union and local school district.

Wait, I do have another question.  Do you have a link regarding this?

Couch

The only question I have is, why in the hell does the Federal Government have the power to make such decrees? I would consider this a local issue. One that isn't even state level but district level. A level between the local union and local school district.

Couch

that sounds right to me. It's a city/county issue, not state or federal.

The problem with accepting money from the Federal is, they can sometimes dictate what occurs at the local level.  I remember my parents talking about it when they taught.  Sometimes it can be a good thing for the union and sometimes it can bite the union in the ass.  

I could be wrong wrong though.  

Couch

• Heart 1

The federal government has much power.  They can threaten to hold back federal funds for education if states don't comply.  That's your money, of course, that you paid in taxes being used against you.

I've been reasonable up until now.  It's in the news today that President Obama has issued a mandate that states take teacher transfer rights.  F- him!  F- that!  

Damn right!

and he's down in Texas fund raising and is too busy to visit the border, but he wants 4 billion dollars to solve the problem. Presumably that buys hotel rooms for them all and supplies them with voter registration cards for November!

I can see where you are coming from Sue, that would suck, but along that line, really not any different than any of us employeed.  If our employers now says we need to go to a different location to work, we have to do it or we have no job.  Ultimately, the Superintendent is the boss, so just like any other boss, he should be able to move employees where he sees fit.  Also employees can try to get jobs in other school districts just like we can try to go to other companies.

I agree it would suck though, but can see both sides of it.