The pace of things

Dottleshead

I acknowledge I am getting older and I like things not as wham bam thank you mam. I hear stuff on the airwaves now that have a very short life span because the next latest and greatest thing has replaced it. No doubt it's the new age, computer age that has come about. Even though I work in the industry, I don't own the latest and greatest cell phone and people are generally surprised to learn I'm a throw back when it comes to burning wood. I just find that the pace of things is starting to pass me by and I really don't care.

I'm officially old, huh?

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

42 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I acknowledge I am getting older and I like things not as wham bam thank you mam. I hear stuff on the airwaves now that have a very short life span because the next latest and greatest thing has replaced it. No doubt it's the new age, computer age that has come about. Even though I work in the industry, I don't own the latest and greatest cell phone and people are generally surprised to learn I'm a throw back when it comes to burning wood. I just find that the pace of things is starting to pass me by and I really don't care.

I'm officially old, huh?

I think despite it being one of the hallmarks of age, I don't think it specifically denotes getting older as much as it does just being jaded and tired of getting excited for the next big thing. Since we work in the industry we see it more often than most people-- the new processor, the new cell phone, the new operating system, etcetera. So our jadedness is accelerated, and therefore you're still young! You can be out of touch and still be young, I see it more often these days. People of my generation and the one after it are creeping deeper and deeper into our anti-social Internet caves. 

P.S. just kidding you're all old and I'm the only young one on this dang site

P.P.S. I'm 27 now. :( I USED TO BE THE YOUNG ONE! Someone find my cane

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, petitepedal said:

@Redfacedwalrus hold my beer...:P in 3 months I will be 62...and my trainer pushes me...last week he said I couldnt show up early and workout along side his 16 year old group...because "you would destroy them"...keep moving..it is worse when you stop.

53 in June.

4 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I agree @Airehead ..I am beat after 8 hours of work and my gym session..and making dinner. Most often that is all I accomplish in a day...I would like another hour or 2 between 7 and 8 pm..cos by 9pm I am often toast.

My wife and I are still fighting it. What that means is we still sacrifice sleep time for 'our' time. What that also means is the day is coming where we won't have the option of fighting it and being stupid anymore. That choice will be removed.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

My wife and I are still fighting it. What that means is we still sacrifice sleep time for our time. What that also means is the day is coming where we won't have the option of fighting it and being stupid anymore. That choice will be removed.

I do that too, but probably in a very different way-- I still stay up until 1-2am despite working at 8am the next morning. I pretend I'm a teenager and the repeat 5-6 hours of sleep is slowly killing me probably. I gotta stay up so I can play my vidja games though!

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Redfacedwalrus said:

I do that too, but probably in a very different way-- I still stay up until 1-2am despite working at 8am the next morning. I pretend I'm a teenager and the repeat 5-6 hours of sleep is slowly killing me probably. I gotta stay up so I can play my vidja games though!

You should try that for another 25 years. Sounds like we are on similar paths. Maybe you will be smarter though and go to bed earlier.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Redfacedwalrus said:

I think despite it being one of the hallmarks of age, I don't think it specifically denotes getting older as much as it does just being jaded and tired of getting excited for the next big thing. Since we work in the industry we see it more often than most people-- the new processor, the new cell phone, the new operating system, etcetera. So our jadedness is accelerated, and therefore you're still young! You can be out of touch and still be young, I see it more often these days. People of my generation and the one after it are creeping deeper and deeper into our anti-social Internet caves. 

P.S. just kidding you're all old and I'm the only young one on this dang site

P.P.S. I'm 27 now. :( I USED TO BE THE YOUNG ONE! Someone find my cane

Stay out of my anti-social internet cave. (and off the lawn too)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dottles said:

I'm officially old, huh?

I think it's more like you're officially wise.

The latest often does not offer any meaningful improvement over previous, now cheaper models.  I know people who think store brand food is "welfare food" and will pay $1.58 for Campbell's Condensed Soup instead of the equally good $0.49 same-sized cans from Aldi.  My Samsung Galaxy S7 takes pictures/video basically as good as the new 2 and 3 camera phones.  I know people who replaced HD TV's with 4K TV's of the same capabilities even though everything they watch is between 1080i and 480i.

On the other hand, every really good discount store between Baltimore and Annapolis has been pointed out to me by people making well into six-figure salaries.  One went into a Goodwill store, bought furniture for next to nothing, had the chairs reupholstered and now they're the must stunning things in her living room.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

It was a comment about butt much and candy combined.  My humor is rarely understood.

I understood perfectly.  I hate to have to explain this but that was a "Wut" with raised eyebrows and a look of shocked what did I do.  Wut is one of those universal words that can be used for many occasions.  Strangely it rarely means Wut?

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I understood perfectly.  I hate to have to explain this but that was a "Wut" with raised eyebrows and a look of shocked what did I do.  Wut is one of those universal words that can be used for many occasions.  Strangely it rarely means Wut?

Huh?

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Word

Yeet