Do you use space heaters?

Road Runner

I love them.  I can keep my den and kitchen warm and toasty while the rest of the house remains cool and thrifty.  I have one in the bathroom, too, for bathroom stuff.  :)

My favorite style is the oil-filled heater, as shown below.  No fire or burn danger, just warm and friendly.  I like to drape my socks and other intimate apparel over top of them about ten minutes prior to donning them.  Warm socks on cold feet is an orgasmic experience.   :wub: 

1925637616_spaceheater.jpg.f95d3f2bf604efe416110894eaec810b.jpg

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, Allen said:

I don’t use one at Springwood. Central heat works well

Youse guys are missing the point.  The space heater allows you to keep your central heat set low, saving you money and doing your share to reduce your carbon footprint.  The space heater, along with closing doors, allows you to keep your main living space warm without wasting heat on mostly unused spaces, such as dining rooms, bedrooms, fancy living rooms, etc.  

• Heart 1

I took a bunch of them to the twice blessed store in town. I don’t know how we got so many of them. I know my wife bought one for the master bathroom and decided it was too big. She put it back in the box and bought a smaller one. She bought one for her cubicle at work and didn’t like it so she bought another one. Then work banned space heaters because they were tripping the breakers and messing up the computers. I think several people gave her theirs because they didn’t need them at home. I think her mom gave her one or two when she was trying to get rid of extra stuff. I left the one in the bathroom and donated all the others. We haven’t used the little one in the bathroom for several years.

At our hone, the heat gets turned on when it gets down to 59F inside the home, in the fall.   Then the thermostat is set for 63F until the spring.  That’s with a 97% efficient gas furnace.

Electric space heater..., how many hours do you use them per day?   How many watts?  How much is the cost per kilowatt hour for power?  It probably is cheaper just to turn up your heat a few degrees. 

At least where I live natural gas is a lot cheaper than using electricity for heat.

• Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

At our hone, the heat gets turned on when it gets down to 59F inside the home, in the fall.   Then the thermostat is set for 63F until the spring.  That’s with a 97% efficient gas furnace.

Electric space heater..., how many hours do you use them per day?   How many watts?  How much is the cost per kilowatt hour for power?  It probably is cheaper just to turn up your heat a few degrees. 

At least where I live natural gas is a lot cheaper than using electricity for heat.

Not everyone has access to gas. It’s great if you can get it.

Several years ago - for the first time - a bird fell down the chimney, crawled to the gas furnace exhaust fan, causing a sensor to prevent the furnace from firing up. It was a Winter, Saturday late afternoon, I couldn't call my furnace's installer until Monday, so I went out and bought two 1500W, rotating nichrome-wire type space heaters to keep my TV room and kitchen warm.

I still have them in case of emergency.  A very frugal cousin said I should use one in the early fall to keep the TV room warm and leave the rest of the house at it's unheated 55-60°, but I told her the extra $100 I might spend instead to heat the house isn't going to drive me into poverty or accelerate Global Warming.

I do keep my 2nd floor cool during the winter unless I have guests using the upstairs bedrooms.  If I ever get around to using my Soloflex machine - set up on the 2nd floor in the Winter, I'll use the space heaters just as I've used a window air conditioner in the summer.  But since my 2015 shoulder problems began, I haven't used it.

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Not everyone has access to gas.

OK… that’s true.  In that case, space heaters probably are a good idea.

One thing to add about warm feet.  My daughter’s home has heated floors in the bathrooms.   I just LOVE how toasty warm the floor on my feet.  

• Heart 2

I've got four kerosene heaters, a salamander kerosene heater, probably around four heaters of different types.

No, I don't like space heaters.

Though with the new house, have a gas fireplace, so we only use that and an electric fireplace heater I have in a bonus room upstairs.  But if I got cold, I've got plenty of heaters to warm up with.