My daughter's social security number is compromised

Forum Administrator

37 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

She couldn't file her taxes today because someone had already used her SS number.  What kind of nightmare do we have to look forward to as we try to fix this?

...I have no idea what it's like today.  I stopped working for those fuckers at the social Security Administration back in 1986.

Back then, it was kind of interesting, and in a lot of cases, it never really got straightened out...ever. Especially in California, but also anyplace there was a need for SSN's to work under by people who didn't have them and couldn't get them, the main issue was a number getting sold to a bunch of different migrant farm laborers.  So there would be all these questionable earnings (thus income) assigned to whoever the poor soul was whose number was compromised.

In the worst cases, but only the worst ones, a new number got issued and the old one was deactivated and the valid earnings merged into the new earnings record.  But it was a lot of work, so it rarely got done.

These tax filing early and absconding with the refund electronically are a whole different thing.  I have no idea how IRS handles them, but based on my personal experience with the IRS, they will make it very impersonal and extremely difficult.  Also, a lot of their field offices are either closed down now, or reduced in staffing. Field offices that remain have looooooooooooong lines for even the simplest issues. :(

43 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

She couldn't file her taxes today because someone had already used her SS number.  What kind of nightmare do we have to look forward to as we try to fix this?

Does the IRS bother to check and see if the Social Security number matches the name it's supposed to belong to?  It's possible that the IRS recorded an SS # wrong or that the filer wrote it wrong or illegible.

I had a small amount of money taken from my credit card by somebody who NEVER used my name - just my card number and a different name!

They charged to HULU, an online video site I've never used.  I contacted the credit card company, which immediately reimbursed my money and sent me a new credit card with a different number.  But I think, based on the information below, that it was likely someone getting a digit wrong when listing their credit card number.

I decided to call HULU because I didn't want my name or credit card rejected if I ever tried to use HULU.  After I explained the fraudulent use, the phone rep. told me that my name was NEVER used, just my card number with a different name!  I asked how a transaction could go through without the card number being listed with the right name, expiration date and 3 digit code that's always asked and she said, "They don't actually bother to send all that information through."

I would have considered suing HULU for the aggravation but since my card was charged something like $0.99 and $1.12, I didn't think it would get me anything.

My wife’s friend had that happen them.  If I recall, it took more than a year to resolve.

Yeah, contact the IRS as soon as possible.

And then… I’d contact the 3 credit bureaus, and place a freeze on her credit.   This could escalate with other credit problems.

Edit:  This may help https://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/taxes/articles/what-to-do-if-someone-files-a-fraudulent-tax-return-in-your-name  

• Awesome 1

10 hours ago, Forum Administrator said:

What kind of nightmare do we have to look forward to as we try to fix this?

My nephew said it wasn't too tough to change his SSN.  The part that was a pain in the ass was having to go back and change all his old tax returns.  

You can also hire a forensic accountant and they maybe able to track down who stole your daughters return.