Never been to Maine

Randomguy

Just now, Randomguy said:

Or New Hampshire.  Maybe Vermont, too.  

What am I missing?

Lots from what I hear, and I too never been. BCC lived there for a bit you see. Biking is great, lobster is great :) If she ever wants to do the MS ride there again, I said I'd go.

• Heart 1

We spent 2 weeks in all 3 states years ago.   We hiked many trails in the mountains.  The lobster was good.  Swimming in the ocean, not so good.

We stopped for gas in Bangor, and WoBG told me “I’m going inside to ask where Stephen King lives.”   I told her.. yeah go for it, like they will know.  She came out, and of course I asked what happened.  My wife explains, the clerk didn’t know.  Before I could say ‘I told you so’, she tells me this woman will take us there, all we need to do is follow.  Yeah, she told me so…

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Or New Hampshire.  Maybe Vermont, too.  

What am I missing?

Maine gets a few million visitors a year.

As with anything else, it depends on what you want.

If you want to ride a 100km in the Italian alps and sit on a table outside with a gorgeous view and an espresso, we're not your cup of joe. And I think italy is one of the best places on the planet to ride a bike (except Rome).

Anyway, we have lots of places. Baxter is the end of the AT, and terrific. There's Acadia, and good road and mtn riding, and you can rent. We have really good restaurants. We also have really good ice cream. We have some cool islands. We have some good bike rides, but you have to be careful, because there are a lot of roads I would not suggest you ride. Perhaps my favorite place to stop on a bike ride is Camden, but getting in and out is tricky.

We also have a few LL Bean factory stores. They are catch as catch can, but I get some great deals there.

For my 2 cents, the best place to stay in Maine is near Augusta, and there is a lot of tough hilly riding there. We used to do that occasionally. One of the rooms has a hot tub. They do catering, and usually tell you to hit the fridge, their goodies are awesome, and after riding all day, better than awesome.

There is really good riding the North Conway NH area, and we liked Vermont as well.

• Heart 1

Growing up in the northeast corner of NY. I spent a lot of time in all three states. Have canoed the Allagash and St. John rivers in the North woods, hikes in Baxter and do enjoy Acadia especially off season when there are no crowds. NH & VT were always ski destinations. Many of the major resorts were close enough to drive to. Have also hiked and biked in both.

You're missing two seasons: July and Winter.

I've been there a few times. My brother-in-law is from northern Maine and we've gone there to fish, do some lobstering with his cousin, and see some parks.

The most amazing thing is the low cost of homes and property in Northern Maine.  My piano teacher, the late virtuosa Frances Cheng-Koors, told me about a famous pianist and teacher of hers, a music professor at the Peabody Institute in Baltimore. He was a heavy drinker and gambler and retired on a very small pension and lots of debts.  He moved to Maine, bought a low-cost home, taught private piano lessons part time, and enjoyed his retirement.

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

BCC says beautiful scenery, tons of hills, great for any cyclist.  September 25-27 granite State wheelers in NH host The tri-state century. Beautiful route thru MA, HH. And Maine.

@Bellybutton Lent

I did that century once.  Shortly into it, it was stopped and we could not go over the bridge we had just gone over to get back to where we were.  We had no idea why.  The cop blocking the road was not helpful at all.  We found a 10 or so mile detour on our own.

This was why.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I did that century once.  Shortly into it, it was stopped and we could not go over the bridge we had just gone over to get back to where we were.  We had no idea why.  The cop blocking the road was not helpful at all.  We found a 10 or so mile detour on our own.

This was why.

she did not know this

We enjoyed traveling through all 3 states one autumn in the 80s when we lived in Oregon. We enjoyed the colors, people, scenery, and particularly the Freyburgh Fair, where we watched oxen pulling.  Of course we enjoyed our trip to LL Beans. We did not spend any time on the coast, which I hope to do someday.

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

You are missing Flo's hot dogs
Amazing little shack on the side of the road! 

Those are the best places.  Back around 2000, me and two colleagues went to Connecticut for work for a week on training. Anywho, we came across this road side BBQ shack. Screen door, picnic tables w/ checkered covers. Best BBQ food I ever had. And for a very low price. Love local places like this.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1