President's Day is the silliest holiday of all

Road Runner

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Totally pointless.  Who cares?  Except for the faces on the money they are spending, does anyone think twice about Washington or Lincoln on this day?  Columbus Day is slightly more insane, but President's Day is sillier.

Those guys were all dicks, agreed. 

7 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I don't have it off. Michigan's Secretary of State is pushing to make voting day a holiday in Michigan. Big deal, this will be another day I do not get off.

I'd love them to ADD this as a holiday, but I wouldn't trade it for a February holiday.  People need a holiday in winter. The more the better.  Winter sucks enough without having to work constantly.

But as a reason for a holiday, I'd say it is an "average" reason.  President's are important, but Turkey Day and 4th of July are better holidays to celebrate.  I'd cut Columbus Day if I needed to swap one for "Election Day", but really, more is better. We work too effing hard already, some more time off would be great.

• New Year's Day
  • MLK Day
  • Washington's Birthday/President's Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Columbus Day
  • Veterans Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day

8 hours ago, Road Runner said:

And all federal employees have the day off with pay.  Guess who is paying for that inanity?  :(

They pay the employees 239/240 of what they're supposed to get the other days that work so they get paid for the holiday. Same for other holidays.

Note that EVERYONE that collects a paycheck has others paying for it.  They do it because they're doing a job and don't expect those working for them to work for free.

4 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

any day off w/ pay is a good day  :nodhead: I wouldn't mind having national kite day off...if there is such a thing :scratchhead:

Kite day is a Saturday (Feb 8th), so it's already a day off :(

The Kite Festival is also a Saturday (March 28th), and sadly, most times I am planning to go, it either rains, is super cold, or the wind sucks.  Every so often, though, it goes well!

IMG_2503.thumb.JPG.5e6db0b888efe85396bbae07dee9bea4.JPG

• Awesome 1