Creepy guys behind you?

TrentonMakes

I was thinking about this on a couple of my rides last week.  On one ride I'd stopped to catch my breath after cresting a hill, and a rider approached and passed me - I realized it was a woman.  When I resumed, it seemed like we were riding the same pace, and I stayed a couple hundred feet behind her.  She ended up turning left at the same place I planned to, so I ended up tailing her for about 1-1/2 miles total.  I wasn't following on purpose, it just seemed that we were each riding a comfortable pace that happened to be the same.

On another ride, on the towpath, two women were riding side-by-side and they were engrossed in conversation.  I knew there was a crossroad coming up so I figured I'd get past them then, so I ended up following them for a bit instead of interrupting their talk.

I wondered if this kind of thing makes women nervous - knowing there's some guy sort of hanging around behind them.  Probably (hopefully) I'm overthinking it. And it's odd that it hasn't come up in my previous decades of riding - maybe I just think differently these days.  (And probably, having a daughter who seems to aspire to ride helps)

I've been in this situation before too. I'd be interested in hearing a woman rider's perspective. I've often wondered if they think I'm a creepy guy following them, when in truth we just happen to be going the same way and pace for a time.

I've been in this situation before too. I'd be interested in hearing a woman rider's perspective. I've often wondered if they think I'm a creepy guy following them, when in truth we just happen to be going the same way and pace for a time.

I think the woman would have to be pretty vain to think that any cyclist riding behind her is "following" her.

There is a rider that I can not stand that lives here.  He pushed my back once, because I fell off pace. I was tired after a pretty long ride, and this was towards the end of the ride.  I guess he pushed me forward to make me surge.  It felt unsafe to me.  He went to do it again, and I said "DON'T TOUCH ME!"  

If he touches me again, I am going to punch him in the face.  Seriously.

Otherwise, I don't mind boys riding with me, but do not touch.  Hell, I can even deal with comments and jokes, but touch me at your own risk.  Creep!

• Heart 3

A few times over the last couple years I have been following behind women and thought the same thing.  Those times I just checked up, stopped for just a bit, took a drink, let them get further ahead and then went on.  I don't know what they were thinking but it was pretty easy on my part to make sure I wasn't playing the creeper role in their mind.

A few times over the last couple years I have been following behind women and thought the same thing.  Those times I just checked up, stopped for just a bit, took a drink, let them get further ahead and then went on.  I don't know what they were thinking but it was pretty easy on my part to make sure I wasn't playing the creeper role in their mind.

For the woman who rode past me, that's eventually what I did - at one intersection I decided I'd go whichever way she didn't.  Seemed like it probably wasn't necessary but...

Even if I wasn't a nice guy, at this point my conditioning is such that pretty much any woman should be able to ride away from me if she wanted to.

I think the woman would have to be pretty vain to think that any cyclist riding behind her is "following" her.

I'm more thinking in terms of TrentonMakes post as in a turn or two come up and you happen to take the same ones because you happen to be going the same direction. If it's just she passed you on the  (no turn offs) trail and you are now behind her, then it would be silly.

I'm more thinking in terms of TrentonMakes post as in a turn or two come up and you happen to take the same ones because you happen to be going the same direction. If it's just she passed you on the  (no turn offs) trail and you are now behind her, then it would be silly.

In this area there are a few roads and routes that are very popular for cyclists. I guess if a woman were to turn off the main roads into a neighborhood it could look creepy if I were to follow, but most of the roads cyclists use around here are main streets.

In this area there are a few roads and routes that are very popular for cyclists. I guess if a woman were to turn off the main roads into a neighborhood it could look creepy if I were to follow, but most of the roads cyclists use around here are main streets.

So what do that usually say about it when you catch up to them?

I frequently ride with a group of women. I enjoy riding behind them for obvious reasons but they think I should be in front so they can draft off me.

that's normally what happens to me, but they are getting better about it. Most of the time, I'll lead if we are heading into the wind, and we'll turns on downhills and tailwinds.