Attire at work

Dirtyhip

Ky clothes are pretty simple. Many of my things are purchased used. I don’t spend a ton and have several outfits that all pair nicely as my work attire. It is quite shocking how terribly some people put themselves together. 

One of the examples today, much higher than my pay grade is wearing a very skimpy tank top with spaghetti straps, her bra is showing, and she is pairing this with a skin tight pair of jeans. 
People used to care what they wore to work, in professional settings. What the heck happened? 
Do we no longer care? 

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Ky clothes are pretty simple. Many of my things are purchased used. I don’t spend a ton and have several outfits that all pair nicely as my work attire. It is quite shocking how terribly some people put themselves together. 

One of the examples today, much higher than my pay grade is wearing a very skimpy tank top with spaghetti straps, her bra is showing, and she is pairing this with a skin tight pair of jeans. 
People used to care what they wore to work, in professional settings. What the heck happened? 
Do we no longer care? 

No, people no longer care. Exhibit 1 for the prosecution: The Maury Povich Show. Exhibit 2: the way people dress when traveling via air. I get that there's comfort, but jeez, don't go out in your PJs & fuzzy slippers.

• Heart 1

My wife works with student teachers doing their practicum as part of their degree.  She has had to talk to several about their attire.  A grade six teacher wearing low rider jeans that every time she bent over showed her butt crack and thong was a little distracting for the kids.  Also white t-shirts (tight) with a bright pink bra.

When she talked to them, they really did not understand why what they were wearing was not considered 'professional' and they should be able to wear what they want.

Luckily here,  it is not an issue as we have a uniform of sorts and the biggest issue I have is telling people to tuck in their t-shirt

Last week I had a meeting with a VP in our IT Dept.  Dude had a dingy white bacon neck T shirt under a company jacket.

Seriously, you can’t freaking replace your t shirts?  I dress more casually now but still look put together and don’t wear dirty wrinkled or worn clothes.

• Heart 1

I am wearing my Team Newzealand Americas Cup t shirt, a white undershirt, nice dark blue Levis, gray boxer briefs,  brown belt with silver buckle and tip, blue socks, brown lace up Ecco shoes.  No one but fellow employees will be in the office today.  

Tomorrow I will probably wear slacks and a button down as we have guests coming in.

25 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Do we no longer care? 

Is this her?

e21f96d0-b8cf-4996-b5c8-a2e0cea32b77_1.8f52974f56cb7f08e4e6a167b06c8116.jpeg?odnWidth=450&odnHeight=450&odnBg=ffffff

• Heart 4

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Do we no longer care? 

Amazingly...kinda clueless.

My boss wasn't thrilled...that I forgot my dress pants.  So I had to wear my light lyrca cycling tights with a fleecy jacket.  It happens to me once a year...where I literally forget to bring in a garment to change when I get off bike.

I don't approach it from a pay grade but more if the person is:  a) neat b) shows respect for self in a workplace and for others.  c) colour coordinated, at least  

In my former job in a different dept., I wore black jeans 50% of time. I didn't work with public and others knew who I was.  

Unfortunately my present boss is abit picky ...she wants all her staff to look dressed up/similar.  I actually got reprimanded for wearing black jeans one day and I wasn't teaching that day nor had any internal client meetings.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Amazingly...kinda clueless.

My boss wasn't thrilled...that I forgot my dress pants.  So I had to wear my light lyrca cycling tights with a fleecy jacket.  It happens to me once a year...where I literally forget to bring in a garment to change when I get off bike.

I don't approach it from a pay grade but more if the person is:  a) neat b) shows respect for self in a workplace and for others.  c) colour coordinated, at least  

In my former job in a different dept., I wore black jeans 50% of time. I didn't work with public and others knew who I was.  

Unfortunately my present boss is abit picky ...she wants all her staff to look dressed up/similar.  I actually got reprimanded for wearing black jeans one day and I wasn't teaching that day nor had any internal client meetings.

The pay grade comment was more so people understand that this is someone with better means and an important job.  

I remember a prior job I had where casual Friday got a bit too casual.  So management sent out a memo with a few guidelines saying that shirts had to have at least cap or short sleeves (to avoid the spaghetti strap tops).  Some people were indignant saying and saying "not everyone has money for shirts with sleeves"  Really?  I've never noticed casual shirts with sleeves costing more than tank tops.

• Heart 2

I wear company supplied polos and slacks. In store, they wear shirt and tie. We in on-site service don't simply because ties fall into printers, etc when working on them. Last week I had to pull cable through a tight crawl space. I wore jeans and an older polo I keep around for such occassions. 

There is a young female attorney at a law firm I service. She is gorgeous with legs that never end. She is always dressed professionally, but her long legs make skirts appear shorter than they are. One of our lady coworkers was having a hissy fit about how unprofessional she was. My youngest daughter has a similar build. She had a terrible time finding skirts and shorts that met the school "finger length" dress code simply because of her build. Let's just say I was more sympathetic. And no she was not wearing spaghetti straps or animal prints. 

WoW and I like to dress nice when we go out. Nothing fancy, just nice jeans and a button shirt or sweater. WoW likes to wear skirts and dresses weather permitting. It's amazing how many waitresses ask if we are out for a special occassion because we are dressed so nice. They seem surprised when we say it's just date night or it's Friday. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I Some people were indignant saying and saying "not everyone has money for shirts with sleeves"  Really?  I've never noticed casual shirts with sleeves costing more than tank tops.

Weird. How silly. These people are adults..  I did work for a national law firm where a law articling student work beach rubber thong slip-ons.  A memo was sent around reminding people of dress code...  That was ….15 years ago.

I have worn black tank top....it's just sleeveless and neckline goes right up to my collarbone. No spaghetti straps/no thin straps.  Black skirt, black slip-on dress shoes.  A summer business wear.  

One thing about business dresswear...I keep 5 pairs of dress shoes at work.  An outfall partially because of walking in boots to work and cycling in better weather.

16 minutes ago, groupw said:

IThere is a young female attorney at a law firm I service. She is gorgeous with legs that never end. She is always dressed professionally, but her long legs make skirts appear shorter than they are. One of our lady coworkers was having a hissy fit about how unprofessional she was. My youngest daughter has a similar build. She had a terrible time finding skirts and shorts that met the school "finger length" dress code simply because of her build. Let's just say I was more sympathetic. And no she was not wearing spaghetti straps or animal prints. 

WoW and I like to dress nice when we go out. Nothing fancy, just nice jeans and a button shirt or sweater. WoW likes to wear skirts and dresses weather permitting. It's amazing how many waitresses ask if we are out for a special occassion because we are dressed so nice. They seem surprised when we say it's just date night or it's Friday. 

I'm sure the attorney knows she has great legs but I agree that naturally long legs means that for her it can be a challenge to find skirts that fit well..she is earning a salary which should not be a big deal to spend time to find something.  I did hear a story of an judge in Toronto when I was working for the courts and judiciary, who told a female lawyer to leave...because she wore an orange 2 piece dress suit.  frankly I think the judge is off base on this.

WoW sounds like classy woman.  Dearie and I stroll in our walking shorts to have a $80.00 meal or more, at some lovely places.  We've become such casual looking couple :)  In some cases, it has been cycling wear...in some nice restaurants.  I cannot get him to wear dress pants...unless it's attending someone's wedding.

The other day it did occur that I might be wearing skirts abit short. I wear them approx. 1-2 inches above knee.  But the being 5'1", I doubt people notice my legs.  I still wear this skirt to work. Yes, it would be considered as mini length.

I'm dressed as a guest for a wedding.

It does help to be known as a cyclist and people might see that as a reason, just to be easier to see one's legs.

jeancasaloam2013.jpg

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Weird. How silly. These people are adults..  I did work for a national law firm where a law articling student work beach rubber thong slip-ons.  A memo was sent around reminding people of dress code...  That was ….15 years ago.

I have worn black tank top....it's just sleeveless and neckline goes right up to my collarbone. No spaghetti straps/no thin straps.  Black skirt, black slip-on dress shoes.  A summer business wear.  

One thing about business dresswear...I keep 5 pairs of dress shoes at work.  An outfall partially because of walking in boots to work and cycling in better weather.

I was talked to for my shirt that had straps.  My boss said I was not allowed to wear spaghetti straps.  I said, "these are lasagna straps.  Too thick for spaghetti."  Really, it was more like a light sweater that showed my shoulders.  Which are buffed, BTW.  LOL  ;)  

My new boss never comments on my attire.  My last boss was a lady that thought skirts without nylons were unacceptable.  There really is no dress code here, but my boss wrote up her own.  Kinda stupid, when people around me in different departments dressed way worse.  

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

My new boss never comments on my attire.  My last boss was a lady that thought skirts without nylons were unacceptable.  

I actually don't wear nylons in summer-fall when I wear skirts at work. I have worn the above skirt....without nylons.  this is probably not acceptable ..if your boss found out how old I was.  ;)

Even in teaching up to 2006, I saw teacher's attire getting more and more casual.

In the 60's and 70's, I thought being a long-haired hippie and looking cool in my flared jeans, etc. was the wave of the future.  As time went on, I realized that conservative, neat attire presented a positive impression and would be better for my personal advancement.

So, while teaching I always wore dress pants, shirt, tie and sometimes suit or sport jacket - ditching the tie and wearing a lab coat when doing a chemistry lab.

Dressing well helped me hang onto the last little bit of classroom authority the courts hadn't taken away and commanded respect.

It also gives your superiors the impression you're part the team effort and helps put you "in with the administration." I'm sure my appearance influenced my being chosen to be on the Faculty Council, school Union Rep, and some teacher resource positions at the countywide Board of Ed. in Annapolis.

• Heart 2

I try to dress for my role. Dirty laborer, dirty clothes, dress for comfort or protection from the elements. Service rep, clean well fitting work clothes, I liked a blue work shirt and khaki work pants. A brief spell as a salesman and I noticed that I was treated differently depending on how I was I dressed, a jacket & tie got a lot more respect than jeans and a dress shirt.

I have also noticed a decline in professionalism as dress standards have declined, the engineers at work used to wear shirt & tie and knew their ass from elbow, today they can't be told from the laborers & are basically a welcome committee for the contractors. 

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Dressing well helped me hang onto the last little bit of classroom authority the courts hadn't taken away and commanded respect.

It also gives your superiors the impression you're part the team effort and helps put you "in with the administration." I'm sure my appearance influenced my being chosen to be on the Faculty Council, school Union Rep, and some teacher resource positions at the countywide Board of Ed. in Annapolis.

Methinks teaching a bunch of adults is abit different..at least at the corporate level.

I do dress up abit when I instruct but no suits nor dress jacket.  I prefer to look a little more "approachable".   I need to be comfortable (even in a skirt) crawling under tables to hook up learner laptops to power sources, schlepping with manilla paper boards for writing, some handouts.  It is computer based instruction ,etc ….one thing I've noticed....it gets harder to stand for 2 hrs. straight instructing in dress heels. I guess that's an age thing for me.

Just now, shootingstar said:

Methinks teaching a bunch adults is abit different..at least at the corporate level.

I do dress up abit I instruct but no suits nor dress jacket.  I prefer to look a little more "approachable".   I need to be comfortable (even in a skirt) crawling under tables to hook up learner laptops to power sources, schlepping with manilla paper boards, some handouts.  It computer based instruction ,etc ….one thing I've noticed....it gets harder to stand for 2 hrs. straight instructing in dress heels. I guess that's an age thing for me.

I miss my heels.  Arthritis made me huck them all.  I had some nice pairs too.  Flats only now.  That is horse shit!  Heels are way fun.

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I miss my heels.  Arthritis made me huck them all.  I had some nice pairs too.  Flats only now.  That is horse shit!  Heels are way fun.

I can't wear too flat shoes.  It is hard on my feet. I normally wear custom orthotics in my boots, cycling and running shoes.  But it's just too much hassle and limits shoe choice to try custom orthotics in women's dress shoes.  I'm ok, as long I don't stand beyond 2 hrs.

Dress shoe shopping for me...it's ...rejecting 90% of the styles in stores. My plan to make my dress shoes last me 10-15 years after I retire. :)  

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I can't wear too flat shoes.  It is hard on my feet. I normally wear custom orthotics in my boots, cycling and running shoes.  But it's just too much hassle and limits shoe choice to try custom orthotics in women's dress shoes.  I'm ok, as long I don't stand beyond 2 hrs.

Dress shoe shopping for me...it's ...rejecting 90% of the styles in stores. My plan to make my dress shoes last me 10-15 years after I retire. :)  

I have orthotic inserts.  That is what got me to the realization that this is not working anymore.  I move them around from athletic shoes to my work shoes, which are just nice running shoes.  I wear running shoes with most of my casual dresses now. For fancy wear, I have a cute pair of Mary Jane shoes.  Leather, flat and still somewhat attrasctive, but not as attractive as a pair of spiked heels. 

We used to be required to wear long sleeves at work. The forge shop gets really hot in the summer, some of the guys were pushing the issue and taking their uniform shirts off and working in their tee shirts. The company tried to make a big deal out of it and give them time off for violating safety rules. The  union got involved and showed them where the contract said all safety equipment would be provided to employees at no cost to them. Why are we paying for our uniforms if they are safety equipment. The VP of the company got pissed off and said F*** You, wear whatever the F*** you want. After that incident in the summer I usually wore a tank top unless I was working on the press.

13 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I have orthotic inserts.  That is what got me to the realization that this is not working anymore.  I move them around from athletic shoes to my work shoes, which are just nice running shoes.  I wear running shoes with most of my casual dresses now. For fancy wear, I have a cute pair of Mary Jane shoes.  Leather, flat and still somewhat attrasctive, but not as attractive as a pair of spiked heels. 

My boss wouldn't want any of us wearing running shoes with a dress.  She has made 1 exception for an employee who is in her 60's and has a walking disability that she uses a cane.

Oh yea, my boss is probably around my age.  So it was a pretty weird feeling to be reprimanded on dresswear by someone who is around my age...for just black jeans.  And geez....I was 60 yrs. old at the time. :whistle: I'm hopelessly conservative in clothing...I've never worn a crop top in my life and not even spaghetti strap tank tops in my personal life. Not at all or sports bra-like top. Not even when cycling. No matter how hot it is, I don't even wear tank top when cycling.

10 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

My boss wouldn't want any of us wearing running shoes with a dress.  She has made 1 exception for an employee who is in her 60's and has a walking disability that she uses a cane.

Oh yea, my boss is probably around my age.  So it was a pretty weird feeling to be reprimanded on dresswear by someone who is around my age...for just black jeans.  And geez....I was 60 yrs. old at the time. :whistle: I'm hopelessly conservative in clothing...I've never worn a crop top in my life and not even spaghetti strap tank tops in my personal life. Not at all or sports bra-like top. Not even when cycling. No matter how hot it is, I don't even wear tank top when cycling.

These are the only shoes that don't hurt me these days.  Had to ditch my spds too. Flat pedals only now. My dresses are athleisure style.  I think the sneaks go well with them.  No one says anything about that.  I think they are thankful I don't wear cheetah print.  LOL

• Heart 1

My PJ's are fine unless going out to meet client. The advantage of working out of the home. For photo shoots at client's house, it is black pants and black monogramed as easy to photoshop out gray reflections rather than blotches of color. Similar when meeting a real estate client - pants and short sleeve button up shirt unless trying to land a million dollar plus listing, then may wear a suit.

DSC07891a - 4x6.jpg

Call Me-2000px-1.jpg

• Awesome 1

26 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

My PJ's are fine unless going out to meet client. The advantage of working out of the home. For photo shoots at client's house, it is black pants and black monogramed as easy to photoshop out gray reflections rather than blotches of color. Similar when meeting a real estate client - pants and short sleeve button up shirt unless trying to land a million dollar plus listing, then may wear a suit.

DSC07891a - 4x6.jpg

Call Me-2000px-1.jpg

Looking sharp, Tiz.

2 hours ago, Tizeye said:

DSC07891a - 4x6.jpg

Call Me-2000px-1.jpg

you clean up gud