I did an oops...a big oops

petitepedal

11 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I guess I didn't blow out my candle last night...I didn't notice it was burning this morning I came home and my house smelled the the candle...It was a dark blue pillar....:runcirclsmiley:Good thing I came straight home tonight :whistle:

Really not bad since nothing burned down.  No harm, no foul.

• Heart 1

For awhile my wife was using those wax blocks that you melt in the little melting pot and they smell like a candle shop. She got out of the habit and hasn't used them in years. I found her stash and started melting them every day, they don't have much smell left so at the end of the day I soak up the melted wax with a rag and put them in a can down by the furnace for fire starters.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

For awhile my wife was using those wax blocks that you melt in the little melting pot and they smell like a candle shop. She got out of the habit and hasn't used them in years. I found her stash and started melting them every day, they don't have much smell left so at the end of the day I soak up the melted wax with a rag and put them in a can down by the furnace for fire starters.

Lube you bike chains with them. The people drafting behind you might appreciate it.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Way better for your health too, if you are using a reliably pure oil.  Actually, it improves your health an wellness.  Some scents make you happy, calm, etc.  Love it.

The scent of cold, brisk winter air calms me.  Seriously. It's so pure and refreshing it reminds me how freakin' lucky we are to be alive on an amazing planet. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

15 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

You speak the truth here.  I always knew you were smart.  

I like the independent testing sites to check out the oils.  Revive and some of those cheaper ones are not so pure. 

15 hours ago, Airehead said:

I am neurotic about my oils. Cheap is not better. 

Do you two smart ladies have any advice for a novice diffuser-er in terms of which oils I should get and maybe what diffuser? I've always wanted to get a diffuser and some oils but it seemed like it'd be as unhealthy as vaping in terms of turning oil into breathable format. I don't know anything about the process though!

2 minutes ago, Redfacedwalrus said:

Do you two smart ladies have any advice for a novice diffuser-er in terms of which oils I should get and maybe what diffuser? I've always wanted to get a diffuser and some oils but it seemed like it'd be as unhealthy as vaping in terms of turning oil into breathable format. I don't know anything about the process though!

Bacon oil is always a good choice for smell.

But for long term wear and tear, I prefer Mobil 1 or Valvoline using the viscosity specified by manufacturer of the diffuser.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Indy said:

Bacon oil is always a good choice for smell.

But for long term wear and tear, I prefer Mobil 1 or Valvoline using the viscosity specified by manufacturer of the diffuser.

I prefer a full synthetic Castrol as opposed to Mobil 1 or Valvoline, longer lasting synthetics to match the filter's lifespan just make more sense. Helps reduce build-up too. :) 

12 minutes ago, Redfacedwalrus said:

You only use about three drops in a decent amount of water.  It is not vaping at all.  Vaping uses a carrier oil and the combustion turns the oil into a vapor which you inhale directly.  Diffusers are like the old school method of using a humidifier with some vicks in the cup.  That vicks stuff is a synthetic though.  I get better results using a respiratory blend of pure oils.  We avoid synthetic things  as much as possible in our house.

You put the diffuser in the room and enjoy the aromatherapy effects.  Indirect exposure. 

If you pan fry anything with some oil, some oil vapor will get into the air.  That is more unhealthy and concerning than a little diffuser running.   

Here is a review of them from a reputable source:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home-products/g25999098/best-essential-oil-diffuser/

I use the Petal diffuser from doTERRA.  I got it with a starter package.  It works well.  I have no complaints.  It is important to clean all diffusers.  You run vinegar through it for a couple of minutes.  Like you would a coffee maker.  That will increase the life, or so I hear.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

You only use about three drops in a decent amount of water.  It is not vaping at all.  Vaping uses a carrier oil and the combustion turns the oil into a vapor which you inhale directly.  Diffusers are like the old school method of using a humidifier with some vicks in the cup.  That vicks stuff is a synthetic though.  I get better results using a respiratory blend of pure oils.  We avoid synthetic things  as much as possible in our house.

You put the diffuser in the room and enjoy the aromatherapy effects.  Indirect exposure. 

If you pan fry anything with some oil, some oil vapor will get into the air.  That is more unhealthy and concerning than a little diffuser running.   

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home-products/g25999098/best-essential-oil-diffuser/

I use the Petal diffuser from doTERRA.  I got it with a starter package.  It works well.  I have no complaints.  It is important to clean all diffusers.  You run vinegar through it for a couple of minutes.  Like you would a coffee maker.  That will increase the life, or so I hear.

Thank you!!

26 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

So bacon oil, it's not synthetic is correct answer.  I knew it.

• Awesome 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

WHAT!?!?!  You stressed out lately?  

Try yoga.  It helped me.  Our house is pure and clean, and the stress has lessened. 

Let's see, I have kids and in the past two years or so, I've been laid off from a job that was so toxic I had to go on anxiety medication, started a new job, moved to a house that needs a lot of updating, lost my best friend to alcohol, have been dealing with a mother in law with dementia and now have her house and property to deal with (at least we finally got her out of the house and in a center), had to put down my dog.

Did I mention I have kids?  One wickedly smart, but with aspergers and ADHD, the other is showing potential of being really smart, but was born with a cleft lip and palate.  And my wife has depression issues.

No, no stress at all.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Let's see, I have kids and in the past two years or so, I've been laid off from a job that was so toxic I had to go on anxiety medication, started a new job, moved to a house that needs a lot of updating, lost my best friend to alcohol, have been dealing with a mother in law with dementia and now have her house and property to deal with (at least we finally got her out of the house and in a center), had to put down my dog.

Did I mention I have kids?  One wickedly smart, but with aspergers and ADHD, the other is showing potential of being really smart, but was born with a cleft lip and palate.  And my wife has depression issues.

No, no stress at all.

That is a ton.  My gosh.  

Glad you got out of that other job.  It was bad for you.  I can empathize about the home remodel.  It really caused stress in our life for a few years.  Never gonna do that again.  The sound of hammers gives me PTSD, now.  ;)

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

That is a ton.  My gosh.  

Glad you got out of that other job.  It was bad for you.  I can empathize about the home remodel.  It really caused stress in our life for a few years.  Never gonna do that again.  The sound of hammers gives me PTSD, now.  ;)

The house is a huge upgrade and I like no longer having to deal with a HOA and having some more room.  Plus old town turned into yuppy vile, right after we left the started tearing down what was left of the old town including some of our favorite stops for new shiny high rise buildings.  We are back in small town/rural area where we fit again, though I have a feeling the area is about to take off, hopefully the pace is at least a little slower than my last town.

11 minutes ago, Indy said:

The house is a huge upgrade and I like no longer having to deal with a HOA and having some more room.  Plus old town turned into yuppy vile, right after we left the started tearing down what was left of the old town including some of our favorite stops for new shiny high rise buildings.  We are back in small town/rural area where we fit again, though I have a feeling the area is about to take off, hopefully the pace is at least a little slower than my last town.

HOA = misery and being controlled by others

Describe yuppyville?  Too many coffee shops?  

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

HOA = misery and being controlled by others

Describe yuppyville?  Too many coffee shops?  

To many with new leased luxury cars, big fancy empty houses (the will actually lease furniture to fill the house for parties).  Everything about looks to try to impress, but very little real and of substance.

It was a quite farming town when I moved there 20 years ago.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

To many with new leased luxury cars, big fancy empty houses (the will actually lease furniture to fill the house for parties).  Everything about looks to try to impress, but very little real and of substance.

It was a quite farming town when I moved there 20 years ago.

You just described a large portion of Americans and their goals to impress others.  The Instagram society.  Not sure people know how to eat a gourmet meal without taking a pic to share.  

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

You just described a large portion of Americans and their goals to impress others.  The Instagram society.  Not sure people know how to eat a gourmet meal without taking a pic to share.  

Yeap, it always amazed us as we lived in one of the cheapest neighborhoods in the area, in one of the cheapest houses and we were well above the median income for the area.  The math didn't add up on how people lived like that, but it certainly worked in our favor when we sold as I was smart when we had our house built and I focused on structural things over cosmetic as I could change that after it was built.  We set the top dollar price for the neighborhood, despite having one of the cheaper houses when built, as of last check, no one has yet to sell for more.