Derry Girls! Too Damn Funny

Razors Edge

Thanks for posting it!  I don't get Netflix and hadn't heard of it but a quick search shows a lot of rave reviews and 9.8 out of 10 rating at Rotten Tomatoes. It's set in Northern Ireland in the 1990's.  I have a source for it and am downloading the 1st and 2nd seasons. The 3rd season has been commissioned for 2020.

On 2/18/2020 at 9:42 AM, Razors Edge said:

I needed subtitles. And man do some of their sayings and references have you scratching your head.  But fun 90s music.

I don't get Netflix and I always need subtitles for Irish (Ballykissangel), English, and Australian TV/Movies.

I found a source to get the first two seasons of Derry Girls in 720p HD (same as Fox and other broadcasts) which I can run on my computer (VLC Player) and feed by HTML cable to my TV.  Season 2 is great: fills the screen and has built-in optional subtitles.  But I had to download two sets of Season 1: I couldn't find subtitle files for 4 of the 6 episodes on the first, but the 2nd set had the subtitles I need. It was a true 1280x720 (though there are black bars at top and bottom because it's shot in wide-screen) but the files cause the players to show them with a black border.  That's solved by VLC "Crop" control of 2.21:1 and I dont mind it since I only have to do it once per episode.

I watched the first episode and caught bits of the others as I skimmed them to make sure the subtitles or subtitle files worked correctly and the treatment of the girls in Catholic school brought back memories of me in the same school situation in the 50's and 60's where the nuns and priests were the ultimate and have-to-be-obeyed authorities!  To bad that's no longer true of the teachers and administrators in public schools these days!

Great show! I think I'll end up watching all 12 episodes as well as this year's Season 3.

• 2 years later...

We just started watching DG on our daughter's recommendation - figured I'd check to see if it was discussed here before and of course it was. This show is an absolute riot, especially the scenes with Uncle Colm. :D It's broken up by the moments of tension, 1990s life in Northern Ireland. 

And yes, we didn't last two minutes before putting on the subtitles. 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1