A few pics from our Upper Peninsula adventure

team scooter

52 minutes ago, BR46 said:

T-shirt weather 

So, circa mid December 1974 (finals week), I had been delivering pizza in -26ish weather in Potsdam, NY.

2 days later, me & Crazy Eddie pulled into a KOA campground outside of Savannah, Ga. it was 65 degrees, we were running around in Ts & shorts while tossing a Frisbee. All the old folks were tsking us.

• Heart 2

Also on the way up, there was a flat bed tow truck winching a large enclosed snowmo trailer on, minus it's two axles. :wacko: A few moments later we saw both the axles on the side of the road. He drove about a quarter of a mile dragging the trailer on it's belly until he got it stopped on the shoulder. Luckily the snomos were still secured inside the trailer. The only thing I can think happened, is the road was rough along with the extreme cold, the aluminum cracked where the axles mount. :dontknow: 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, 2Far said:

So, circa mid December 1974 (finals week), I had been delivering pizza in -26ish weather in Potsdam, NY.

2 days later, me & Crazy Eddie pulled into a KOA campground outside of Savannah, Ga. it was 65 degrees, we were running around in Ts & shorts while tossing a Frisbee. All the old folks were tsking us.

Our weather has been up and down enough this winter that when it's in the mid-50's to 60's people in the park, including Seniors, are often walking around in flannel shirts or tee shirts.

After completing grad school at IIT in Chicago, I've never been bothered by the winter temperatures in Baltimore. Some years we get more winter snow than Juneau, Alaska but much less bitter cold than Chicago!

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, smudge said:

How were the trails?

The trails in and around Conover and Land O Lakes were rough due to ludicrous traffic for the Blizzard Festival and Ice Drags. And we knew they would be. But they were good, if not a little icy, out in the woods. And our son's and DIL's rental sleds could have been set up better for the conditions. They were sliding all over the place. Our oldie but goody sleds weren't sliding around as much.

Plus our 110 pound DIL looked like a child on that huge rental touring sled. :D

lando 1.jpg

lando 2.jpg

sno2.jpg

• Heart 3

16 hours ago, team scooter said:

The trails in and around Conover and Land O Lakes were rough due to ludicrous traffic for the Blizzard Festival and Ice Drags. And we knew they would be. But they were good, if not a little icy, out in the woods. And our son's and DIL's rental sleds could have been set up better for the conditions. They were sliding all over the place. Our oldie but goody sleds weren't sliding around as much.

Plus our 110 pound DIL looked like a child on that huge rental touring sled. :D

lando 1.jpg

lando 2.jpg

sno2.jpg

Were the wear bars flat? Probably. They don't check the simple things on rentals, but that is how rentals get dangerous. I wonder how much it is to rent a sled around here. I should give it a try. 

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, smudge said:

Were the wear bars flat? Probably. They don't check the simple things on rentals, but that is how rentals get dangerous. I wonder how much it is to rent a sled around here. I should give it a try. 

The wear bars were newer, but about what you'd expect on a rental. The first person to ride down a bare road and the edge of the carbides are toast.... My carbides will last a few seasons. Mrs' needs new ones at $130 per set after every trip. :facepalm: I need to look into finding a grinding wheel for carbide. I'd save a small fortune....

They charge $225 per day for a two up weekend rate to rent in and around Villas County. 

table.png

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Just got home last night from the UP200 and then ice climbing in Pictured Rocks Monday. Why didn't you come to Marquette and see us?

Sorry. We were running on someone else's schedules and temperature tolerances. It was a great trip, but I didn't get to do half the stuff I had planned. And barely even got to ride the snowmos.

1 hour ago, team scooter said:

Sorry. We were running on someone else's schedules and temperature tolerances. It was a great trip, but I didn't get to do half the stuff I had planned. And barely even got to ride the snowmos.

trail conditions were great along Lake Superior. The last place in the UP200 sled dog race was faster than first last year.Huge crowds at the start, finish and Grand Marais checkpoint.  Also along the trail and road crossings. Those of us racing and handling had a great time. Also there was a huge fat bike race in Marquette, ski jumping in Iron Mountain and ice climbing in Munising. One handler got his few minutes of sleep laying on top of his sled in the dog trailer. I'll make my own thread with a few pictures later when I have more time.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

There was also a large snowmobile ride in Newberry to raise funds for diabetes.  Kids hockey tournament in Marquette. The UP was a busy place this past weekend.  I am still upset that @smudge didn't come out and see us  The first night we stayed in a dry cabin south of Marquette to get some sleep before the race.  She should have let us use the she shed.

• Heart 2

I really love the UP.

I have two friends back in Cleveland who have land up there.  One lot off of Superior and one off of Huron.  I haven't been there in years.  Maybe 2004?

Anyway, I have fond memories.  I would like to go there again but I don't think Tude would be up form a million hour car ride to the place.  And, we would have to drive through Detroit and turf CB's lawn.

Mudkipz

• Heart 2

8 hours ago, Couch_Incident said:

turf CB's lawn

Can you do that in a Toyota?

8 hours ago, Couch_Incident said:

I have two friends back in Cleveland who have land up there.

umpossible.  People from Cleveland aren't allowed to own land in the great state of Michigan.

• Awesome 1