Axe throwing

Gump

56 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Cool, never tried it but have friend who have. I first seen this a couple years ago.

Yep - been on ESPN for a while now.  They have a "gym" a few blocks away (Kraken) and another a little farther out (Bad Axe) for doing this.  Must be relatively common to have so many bricks and mortar places popping up.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, BuffJim said:

My daughter just went to a bar that had this over the weekend.  She said the drinking came after the Axe tossing was done.

I guess that there is a bar in Milwaukee that has axe throwing....beer, axe what could go wrong. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, jsharr said:

We throw hatchets and knives every year at camporee

Does seem close to a hatchet. Like the one I use around camp.  Haven't come up with a justification to bring an axe on camping trips (not that I really need one).  This axe vs hatchet story is interesting, but I like these technique things better.

image.thumb.png.48bd71d78590da214983a17551b14238.png

image.thumb.png.d7c0b3985dfb67b948fd8a11dbfabea1.png

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Does seem close to a hatchet. Like the one I use around camp.  Haven't come up with a justification to bring an axe on camping trips (not that I really need one).

image.thumb.png.48bd71d78590da214983a17551b14238.png

image.thumb.png.d7c0b3985dfb67b948fd8a11dbfabea1.png

We only bring them to campouts where we take the Troop equipment trailer or where the District or Council is supplying program materials.

Remote back country stuff, we either pack in lighweight back packing stoves, like the MSR Whisperlite, or we gather firewood on site for a small fire and we practice Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace when we do so.

MSR - WhisperLite Stove - One Color

Here is what I carry when I am just cooking for me or one other.  All of it packs down into the two pots, including the gas canister and stove and it stores in a mesh bag with I hang off my pack with a carabiner.

7162VoV%2BJLL._AC_SL1010_.jpg

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Here is what I carry when I am just cooking for me or one other.  All of it packs down into the two pots, including the gas canister and stove and it stores in a mesh bag with I hang off my pack with a carabiner.

That's similar to our "normal" set-up when we fly somewhere to camp (we buy the fuel at Walmart wherever we land).  A small Primus stove and our water pot that works to boil water or cook/heat stuff.

Classic Trail Stove

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

Seen enough videos where the blunt end hits and the axe bounces back.  Someone is going to get seriously hurt with this new craze and then it will be all over with.

I agree.  I wonder about netting with a window you throw through, sort of like the pitching nets that are used in batting practice.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I agree.  I wonder about netting with a window you throw through, sort of like the pitching nets that are used in batting practice.

Really?  I wish Indy would post some "fail" videos so we could chuckle at other folk's idiocy!

FTR, the Bad Axe guys disagree!

image.png.9893b64bc3ca3c2b14eab271c7eafd61.png

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Really?  I wish Indy would post some "fail" videos so we could chuckle at other folk's idiocy!

FTR, the Bad Axe guys disagree!

image.png.9893b64bc3ca3c2b14eab271c7eafd61.png

They are missing the word "yet".  I've seen enough video's of people throwing, even people I know trying this with the axe bounces back that I am surprised these places are even able to get insurance.

And growing up a redneck, I tried knife throwing and axe throwing, I was never able to master the rotation to get them to stick consistently, of course I was standing back a lot further, because even when I was young, I was never that dumb.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

This is AT A BAD AXE location.  Of course, she was not hurt or injured in any way! Huzzah!

And of course they say it's safe, if they said otherwise, liability issues could hit and it could affect their profits.  Someone will get hurt though, there will be litigation, they will quickly go the Boy Scout route and file bankruptcy to protect their bank accounts and this will all be over with.

There is already one in my town, otherwise I'd say open up a shop, grab your money, just make sure you set everything up right to cover your ass for the impending litigation.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

And of course they say it's safe, if they said otherwise, liability issues could hit and it could affect their profits.  Someone will get hurt though, there will be litigation, they will quickly go the Boy Scout route and file bankruptcy to protect their bank accounts and this will all be over with.

There is already one in my town, otherwise I'd say open up a shop, grab your money, just make sure you set everything up right to cover your ass for the impending litigation.

How do auto racing tracks or drag strips stay in business?  Or any sort of place that has semi-dangerous stuff the general public can walk in off the street and partake in?  I have to guess insurance coverage is all the protection they need?

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How do auto racing tracks or drag strips stay in business?  Or any sort of place that has semi-dangerous stuff the general public can walk in off the street and partake in?  I have to guess insurance coverage is all the protection they need?

All kinds of liability waivers you have to pass, some, you have to pass a track test to be allowed on.  Most you just can't drive in and start running laps.  And they sure don't let you drink first.

And yes, they can be sued frequently so they have all kinds of stuff in place to cover their asses.

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

All kinds of liability waivers you have to pass, some, you have to pass a track test to be allowed on.  Most you just can't drive in and start running laps.  And they sure don't let you drink first.

And yes, they can be sued frequently so they have all kinds of stuff in place to cover their asses.

I'm gonna go with "it's a fad (of sorts) that will die out long before it is sued out of viability".  I see their liability waivers being more than enough to hold off the hordes until folks move on to a new cool thing.  I wonder how many business models go under due to being driven out by lawsuits.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm gonna go with "it's a fad (of sorts) that will die out long before it is sued out of viability".  I see their liability waivers being more than enough to hold off the hordes until folks move on to a new cool thing.  I wonder how many business models go under due to being driven out by lawsuits.

There has been quite a few, usually it's actually the insurance cost rising do to it that technically does them in though.

So they do have waivers you have to sign?  What happened to it being perfectly safe, never had to sign a waiver when I go to a driving range before.  Heck, never had to sign a waiver for most go karting places (there are some new high speed ones you absolutely do though).