What Is Wrong With So Many Folks' Digestion?

Razors Edge

We don't have a very big team, but there are at least three dudes here who can regularly DESTROY a restroom and create smells of death and destruction reminiscent of a 3rd world abattoir or tannery.

WTF is wrong with their digestive systems, and WTF are they eating?????

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Or they could be raw vegans

I'd love to hear from SW on this.  But everyone farts, but we all know when we dropped a particularly bad, eye watering bomb vs normal farts.  I don't equate simple farting with the routine and truly sickening smells that those three co-workers can produce.  And yes, at least a couple seem to have horrible diets.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Chili with beans in it will do this.

I don't think it does (or it shouldn't).  Beans can cause gas, but not the gas that these guys produce. 

Honestly, if I regularly did what they did, I would be seeking medical attention for it. It can't be healthy nor real pleasant.

Maybe more people today are eating things that promote sulfur generating bacteria in their digestive tract.  Additionally, maybe there's more fart content in shit today - does more shit float on water now than before?  An old friend named Neal studied that!

A fellow UMBC chemistry major, one year ahead of me in college, named Neal - famous among us because Mama Cass Elliott was his babysitter when he was a kid - stopped in our UMBC research floor the year after graduation to fill us in on how he was doing his first year in medical school.

He was doing a research "fart or fat?" study that was soon to be published that basically determined whether some shit floats in water because of gas trapped in it or if it was due to fat content: fat is less dense than water and floats on it.  Neal found it is the fart content that makes it float.

• Haha 1

They may not be eating certain foods at better times of day...I mean certain foods for breakfast which would help clear their system earlier in day more cleanly.

I've noticed this in myself.  which is why I need yogurt for breakfast.

Everyone's body chemistry is different but for sure, garbage food..with too many preservatives, too much fat and not enough natural acid from fruit to help..or simply unbalanced meals too often.  We all have unbalanced meals several times per month, even if we are "good" otherwise.

The mechanisms of relationships between host, microbiota and environment are gradually being revealed. Infant exposures set into motion simultaneous and reciprocal development of the immune system, gastrointestinal tract and metabolism. The exposures affecting the infant microbiota, including maternal exposures, birth mode, breast feeding, and antibiotics continue to affect the individual and his or her physiology throughout childhood and into adulthood.

People really do eat terrible.  I saw someone today that was eating a scone the size of a small dinner plate, a piece of chocolate cake, and a processed deli sammich.  She had a big frown on her face.  

Did you eve notice that when you grocery shop, the people buying really bad food tend to be frowning? I believe there is a link between poor diet and depression.  

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

I would tend to agree.  Highly processed foods with lots of additives and preservatives.   I bet they eat lots of fast food.

Bullshit. My shit didn’t stink when I ate that crap and it doesn’t stink now, and I have all kinds of reflux issues. 

It is just magic when you are blessed with stinky poosticks, it is like you won the lottery. 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, groupw said:

Some of it is genetic. I eat reasonably ok. However as I get older, I get gas at times that is alarming! I get a pass this afternoon. I had a Runza for lunch. The cabbage and spices will get ya!

It's not the gas per se, since that is just a part of the whole situation.  We're talking explosive, noisy, voluminous (seeming), and routine destruction of a bathroom stall! We've all had a handful of these events in our long lives, but I'm talking about regular & repeated "oh my effing lord what happened in here" sort of cataclysms. 

I assume "normal" folks would have one event and chalk it up to a night of drinking, too much of jsharr's chili, or something bad they ate, but if it kept repeating, a doctor's visit would be in order!

When I used to take snowmo trips with the guys, we'd always rent a cabin to save money. Unfortunately, there was always one bathroom for six to eight guys, that survived on beer and microwave burritos during the trip. The smells that would come from that bathroom would peel paint. Most of us went potty in the morning, right before we left to ride all day. But the guy that wined the loudest about the morning smell, was the guy that dropped a toxic toilet clogging dookie (TMI?) right before we went to sleep.  And I swear the smell lingered till morning. 

Funny how everyone else's always smell, but not your own. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, team scooter said:

When I used to take snowmo trips with the guys, we'd always rent a cabin to save money. Unfortunately, there was always one bathroom for six to eight guys, that survived on beer and microwave burritos during the trip. The smells that would come from that bathroom would peel paint. Most of us went potty in the morning, right before we left to ride all day. But the guy that wined the loudest about the morning smell, was the guy that dropped a toxic toilet clogging dookie (TMI?) right before we went to sleep.  And I swear the smell lingered till morning. 

Funny how everyone else's always smell, but not your own. :rolleyes:

Oh no so not true.