Chicken pot pie has )_*(&%^% additives!

Mr. Silly

Ingredients

WATER, CARROTS, CELERY, ONIONS, POTATOES, CHICKEN FAT (COOKED CHICKEN FAT, NATURAL FLAVORING), PEAS, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, 2% OR LESS OF CREAM, SKIM MILK, SHERRY WINE, BLEACHED ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), CHICKEN BROTH, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, WHEY, SEASONING (YEAST EXTRACT, SOY SAUCE [WHEAT, SOYBEANS, SALT], MALTODEXTRIN, CHICKEN FAT, SOYBEAN OIL), THYME, YEAST EXTRACT, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SPICES, SEASONING (NATURAL FLAVORING, BUTTERMILK POWDER, YEAST EXTRACT, MALTODEXTRIN, WHEY POWDER, LACTIC ACID, CALCIUM LACTATE, MALIC ACID, MANNITOL), COLOR ADDED, SEASONING (WHEAT STARCH, EXTRACTIVES OF TURMERIC & ANNATTO COLOR, NATURAL FLAVOR), PARSLEY, LACTIC ACID, CALCIUM LACTATE. CONTAINS: WHEAT, MILK, SOY INGREDIENTS.

1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

Growing up we had Banquet.  Kinda hard to beat perfection. And I highly doubt Banquet pot pies had any nasty chemicals. 

Well, maybe a couple: Filling: Beef Gravy (Water, Seasoned Cooked Beef [Beef, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Garlic Juice, Salt], Modified Corn Starch, Wheat Flour, Caramel Color, Salt, Sugar, Beef Base [Beef Flavor {Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Disodium Inosinate and Guanylate, Xanthan Gum), Salt, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Sugar, Monosodium Glutamate, Flavor, Caramel Color, Vegetable Juice Concentrates {Celery, Carrot, Onion, Leek), Extractives of Paprika], Tomato Paste, Flavor), Seasoned Cooked Beef (Beef, Water, Salt, Potassium and Sodium Phosphates, Potassium Chloride, Spice, Soybean Oil, Mono-and Diglycerides, Sunflower Lecithin), Potatoes (Potatoes, Calcium Chloride), Carrots, Peas. Crust: Wheat Flour, Lard Preserved with BHT, Water, Dextrose, Salt, Caramel Color.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Ingredients
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)

2.  In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.

3.  In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.

4.  Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.

5.  Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

What brand?  Costco has an about 1 foot diameter chicken pot pie made at the store that surely has much fewer additives: 1/4 of it is a good, full dinner. I bake then refrigerate/freeze the quarters I/we don't eat immediately.

The ingredients in your list all seem to be natural as opposed to artificial. Some forms of flour and/or cornstarch are needed to thicken the gravy. Potassium Chloride is GOOD for us in general. It's in vitamin tablets but in a lower-than-recommended amount because it could be a problem for people with kidney problems.  It's use also cuts down the amount of sodium used in the recipe.  Calcium lactate is a naturally occurring milk sugar that's probably present in amounts too small to bother the lactose intolerant.

I also always have a 16 oz. Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie in my freezer for days when I'm too tired to cook but want a good meal.  It has a lot of the same ingredients but it has no preservatives, no artificial flavors, and no artificial colors.

13 hours ago, Indy said:

Yes I cheat and buy the already made rolls of pie crust.

Even if you "cheat", it seems it is still pretty close to ideal with almost all whole ingredients.  Often, it means either you make the homemade one with a few "cheats" or you don't bother and buy the completely non-homemade one, so a recipe like yours with or without homemade pie crust is really a "win".

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Even if you "cheat", it seems it is still pretty close to ideal with almost all whole ingredients.  Often, it means either you make the homemade one with a few "cheats" or you don't bother and buy the completely non-homemade one, so a recipe like yours with or without homemade pie crust is really a "win".

Yeah, I don't know how people have time to make everything darn near 100% from scratch.  Between work and kids, I am pressed to find time to just make dinner with some short cuts.

• Heart 2

23 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yeah, I don't know how people have time to make everything darn near 100% from scratch.  Between work and kids, I am pressed to find time to just make dinner with some short cuts.

Scheduling and organization, is how I do it.  Of course, I do not have kids so some may feel I have more time.  I make almost everything from scratch, work full time, have a very full workout schedule, and hold a small side job.  If I was to need a pie tonight, I would mix the dough together this morning (bout ten minute process), let it set while I work, and roll it out when I get home (5 minutes top), bake. I utilize my weekend time for some food prep.  

I have more time also, because I only spend about 30 minutes a day for commute time. That allows for more time for what I want to do.  Sometimes, I ride home and do things like, mixing dough together, and then ride back.  

On 2/19/2020 at 6:41 AM, Indy said:

No it doesn't, my chicken pot pie is made from scratch and it freaking rocks.

Do you any canned igredients at all?  My wife makes ours with premade pie crust, shredded rotisserie chicken, frozen or canned veggies, cheese and I think cream of chicken soup.   So it has to have some bad stuff in it.

Can you post your recipe?

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Do you any canned igredients at all?  My wife makes ours with premade pie crust, shredded rotisserie chicken, frozen or canned veggies, cheese and I think cream of chicken soup.   So it has to have some bad stuff in it.

Can you post your recipe?

Above and no.  Boiled chicken breast then cubed, all fresh vegetables except for the frozen peas. 

DO NOT SHRED THE CHICKEN!!!  I made that mistake once, shredded chicken soaks up all the liquid mixture and then you don't have nearly enough and you end up with a really dry and disgusting pie.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Scheduling and organization, is how I do it.  Of course, I do not have kids so some may feel I have more time.  I make almost everything from scratch, work full time, have a very full workout schedule, and hold a small side job.  If I was to need a pie tonight, I would mix the dough together this morning (bout ten minute process), let it set while I work, and roll it out when I get home (5 minutes top), bake. I utilize my weekend time for some food prep.  

I have more time also, because I only spend about 30 minutes a day for commute time. That allows for more time for what I want to do.  Sometimes, I ride home and do things like, mixing dough together, and then ride back.  

I have maybe an hour a night to sit and do nothing before I go to bed.  Yeah, I don't have time between kids, making dinner, eating, cleaning up.  And anything I make can't really take longer than an hour to do during the week or we are eating to late and throwing off the kids schedules and then there is hell to pay.

18 hours ago, Indy said:

Yes I cheat and buy the already made rolls of pie crust.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Above and no.  Boiled chicken breast then cubed, all fresh vegetables except for the frozen peas. 

DO NOT SHRED THE CHICKEN!!!  I made that mistake once, shredded chicken soaks up all the liquid mixture and then you don't have nearly enough and you end up with a really dry and disgusting pie.

Here are the ingredients in a store bought premade pie crust from Pillsbury

Ingredients:

Enriched Flour Bleached (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Lard And Hydrogenated Lard With Bha And Bht Added To Protect Flavor, Wheat Starch, Water. Contains 2% Or Less Of: Salt, Rice Flour, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Propionate And Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Citric Acid, Annatto Extract (For Color).

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Here are the ingredients in a store bought premade pie crust from Pillsbury

Ingredients:

Enriched Flour Bleached (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Lard And Hydrogenated Lard With Bha And Bht Added To Protect Flavor, Wheat Starch, Water. Contains 2% Or Less Of: Salt, Rice Flour, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Propionate And Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Citric Acid, Annatto Extract (For Color).

I'm good with that.  Also, percentage wise, it's a small part of the pot pie.

32 minutes ago, jsharr said:

No way someone is good to confuse a lowly NOOB like you with an OG like Randomguy.    MORAN! 

I do have hair on my head, so even SW can spot the difference!  RG and SW are brothers from other mothers!  Me, I'm a near gorilla-like hairy ape!

• 2 weeks later...