If you were my age with my history on the bike, would you continue to ride?

Road Runner

I'm 20 years younger, but have also had 3 serious wrecks in the last six years. I can't imagine a life without cycling.

Yeah, that 20 years makes a big difference though, at least that has been my experience.  I don't want to spend my last years on this earth having strangers feed me and having to have help going to the bathroom.  

Yeah, that 20 years makes a big difference though, at least that has been my experience.  I don't want to spend my last years on this earth having strangers feed me and having to have help going to the bathroom.  

I will probably end up that way anyway due to the MS.  I am living fast now.

I crashed today. Big rock garden on one of our black diamond trails. My buddy was like "Are you ok?" I was like, "Yeah, I love this shit." HAHA

and you give me shit about not mountain biking anymore?

I quit in 2008 because I prefer riding alone, and a small crash can kill you if you are alone in the desert.

damn right! Those hippies are all wind and smoke. False courage and all talk

We all one day will have to face what you are facing. The truth is that there are other ways to stay fit that are a hell of a lot safer

I've had to change the way I ride so as to take less risks. I haven't hit the deck since May of 2009. Before I had only gone a season without crashing just a couple of times in 25 seasons. Remember, I've been hit by cars 7 times

So think about where you ride and what time of day and anything else that goes into risk management and then ask yourself if its even possible to minimize the risks you're taking. I live in a low traffic area, but I stay away from certain roads now. I don't ride in the rain anymore because with the steep hills, its pretty easy to crash in the wet. Out where my folk live, I'll ride in the rain because its flat and you won't be going 40 mph into a hard bend coming down a mountain like around here

So that's what you should think about: risk management and if it is possible to make some changes that will result in less risk

• Heart 1

Once you slow down, you can go downhill fast!  You have to remain as active as possible for as long as possible, IMO.

TBS, cycling isn't the only exercise option.  If you feel another one that you'll enjoy doing enough to stick with would be safer, you might want to explore those options.

• Heart 1

Wait till you heal up then ask yourself how you feel.  Does riding bring you more joy or cause you stress?  If you still really enjoy it and fnd you need it for your mental well being, then ride, but try not to take unnecessary risk.

I understand your hesitation.  Mountainbiking is skeery.   :D

Fear is not the issue.

Common sense tells you that if you are in a place where you might not be found for days, that you might not want to risk serious injury while alone in that area.

If I lived in an area with powder puff trails like you ride, it might be fun to mountain bike alone.

Fear is not the issue.

Common sense tells you that if you are in a place where you might not be found for days, that you might not want to risk serious injury while alone in that area.

If I lived in an area with powder puff trails like you ride, it might be fun to mountain bike alone.

HAHA!  Powder puff.  That's cute. 

I would like to see you ride some of them, Roadie.  Our area is pretty technical.  I'll race you down 5 gallon or Buzzard.   :P

Pick up a pair of running shoes.  I know you hate it but once ran.  Are knee problems preventing you from running?

You could also take up swimming.   And no, I don't want you to drown.

Couch

My orthopedic surgeon has forbade me from ever running again.  He says riding a bike is the best exercise for the knees.  My doctors are all kind of impressed with my general overall health (or so they say) and they are all much in favor of me getting back on the bike ASAP.  I think they have payments on their Mercedes that they want to keep up.   :(  

• Heart 2

My orthopedic surgeon has forbade me from ever running again.  He says riding a bike is the best exercise for the knees.  My doctors are all kind of impressed with my general overall health (or so they say) and they are all much in favor of me getting back on the bike ASAP.  I think they have payments on their Mercedes that they want to keep up.   :(  

Ah, I knew there was a reason why you couldn't run.  I just couldn't remember.  My apologies.

To be honest, I can't really give you an empathetic opinion.  I've never been in a bad bike wreck so I can't grasp of the fear regarding your situation.  I do know this though, I love riding and running and life wouldn't be the same without either of the two.  If I were you, I would continue to ride like you stole the bike.  Life as we all know, is too short as it is to not enjoy our hobbies.

Like skydiving.  Which, I'm getting back into hopefully this fall.

Couch

• Heart 1

Another thing that bothers me is that I am a pretty independent person, most of the time.  I have friends, neighbors and relatives who will help me when I am recovering from mishaps, but I hate always having to ask for help.  It's just the way I am.  Plus, after awhile, I think people are grow a bit tired of my regular bouts of neediness.

But I will probably get back on the bike.  I need to stop obsessing on my avg speed.  I may have to take my computers off of my bikes.   :)

• Heart 1

Another thing that bothers me is that I am a pretty independent person, most of the time.  I have friends, neighbors and relatives who will help me when I am recovering from mishaps, but I hate always having to ask for help.  It's just the way I am.  Plus, after awhile, I think people are grow a bit tired of my regular bouts of neediness.

But I will probably get back on the bike.  I need to stop obsessing on my avg speed.  I may have to take my computers off of my bikes.   :)

Take up bicycle touring, get a touring bike and tack a BOB trailer on the back filled with camping gear.  You'll stop obsessing about average speed pretty darn quick.

On the other hand, you'll begin to see all the things you missed when you were cycling fast-fast-fast under the obsession of average speed.

So, I'd say you don't need to stop cycling, you may just need to change your style.

Take a look at Destination's trip photos, a few of the ones I've posted, visit bikeovernights.org and turn it over a few times in your head.

• Heart 3

Take up bicycle touring, get a touring bike and tack a BOB trailer on the back filled with camping gear.  You'll stop obsessing about average speed pretty darn quick.

On the other hand, you'll begin to see all the things you missed when you were cycling fast-fast-fast under the obsession of average speed.

So, I'd say you don't need to stop cycling, you may just need to change your style.

Take a look at Destination's trip photos, a few of the ones I've posted, visit bikeovernights.org and turn it over a few times in your head.

Thanks.  Very good advice.   :)

I agree with the slowing down and smelling the roses.  I have always loved LSD - long slow distance, although long and distance are relative terms, but I do have slow covered well. :D  I get my speed fix from the occasional downhill to a nice shady creek.  You don't have to go whole hog touring, just start backing off the speed racer stuff.  However, intervals with sprints sound good for you.

And it sounds like you and your doctors know full well the evilles of running. :)  But it sounds like the weight training is serving you perfectly.

I agree with the slowing down and smelling the roses.  I have always loved LSD - long slow distance, although long and distance are relative terms, but I do have slow covered well. :D  I get my speed fix from the occasional downhill to a nice shady creek.  You don't have to go whole hog touring, just start backing off the speed racer stuff.  However, intervals with sprints sound good for you.

Yep.  This thread has helped a lot in me wrapping my brain around changing the way I ride.  If I can resist the urge to reset the computer before each ride, then the average speed reading will mean nothing.  But I will still be able to check my distance ridden and my current speed if I so choose.  I think this change alone will relieve the pressure to make unsafe decisions just to maximize my avg speed, something I am regularly very guilty of doing.  TK's advice is probably where I need to end up but will take me considerably longer to achieve.

Yep.  This thread has helped a lot in me wrapping my brain around changing the way I ride.  If I can resist the urge to reset the computer before each ride, then the average speed reading will mean nothing.  But I will still be able to check my distance ridden and my current speed if I so choose.  I think this change alone will relieve the pressure to make unsafe decisions just to maximize my avg speed, something I am regularly very guilty of doing.  TK's advice is probably where I need to end up but will take me considerably longer to achieve.

My bike computer broke a few years ago and I am just fine without it.  I measure my rides by hours or rarely in miles by google maps.

My bike computer broke a few years ago and I am just fine without it.  I measure my rides by hours or rarely in miles by google maps.

I'm afraid I might go nuts without it.  I have OCD and I like to always ride an even number of miles.  Not knowing would drive me crazy (I know, too late).   :(

I'm afraid I might go nuts without it.  I have OCD and I like to always ride an even number of miles.  Not knowing would drive me crazy (I know, too late).   :(

On the plus side, your obsession with the numbers shirley causes you to get a better workout than me.  But maybe the turtle and hare story applies here a touch.