Further impact of Astro's cheating

2Far

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

professional stick and ball sports

What are those? Baseball, softball, cricket, lacrosse, and field hockey?   Does jai alai sneak in there? I felt bad about lacrosse, and sort of feel like it might get a pass if we consider it more similar to jai alai (like a scoop), but we do call it a lacrosse stick, but jai alai calls their thing a cesta (basket).

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

On the AM sports talk today, the were talking about this.  Someone suggested that Astros batters not be allowed to take first base when hit by a pitch!

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Forum Administrator said:

Just think about this...  The pitchers who hit an Astro will face a harsher punishment than the people who cheated. 

The Astros players will not face any punishment due to the way the MLB rules are written.  Since the team did not pass this down to the players, they did not know and cannot be punished from what I gather.  

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

The Astros players will not face any punishment due to the way the MLB rules are written.  Since the team did not pass this down to the players, they did not know and cannot be punished from what I gather.  

And the Astros punishment is????

Loss of their World Series? Post season ban for four years and no draft picks during that period? All coaches and management fired and given 4 year bans?

I think Correa and Altuve will get drilled for sure for how they acted after the punishment was levied.  

Correa especially for his rebuttal to Bellinger.  Paraphrasing but he essentially replied with, you don’t know what you are talking about so shut up. We didn’t cheat every year, the investigation shows we only cheated in 2017...  Dude STFU...  I actually hope he gets drilled good for that stupid comment.

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

That's why the players will be beaned. If you are thinking about the integrity of the game, what they did was much worse that what Pete Rose did. Pete Rose is deservedly banned from baseball, anyone who had a part in this should be as well.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And the Astros punishment is????

Loss of their World Series? Post season ban for four years and no draft picks during that period? All coaches and management fired and given 4 year bans?

Fines, loss of 1st & 2nd round draft picks for 2 years, one year suspension for manager & GM who were fired. No punishment to the players.

I honestly think the win should be vacated like LA’s TDF tainted wins.

• Heart 1

Just now, Forum Administrator said:

That's why the players will be beaned. If you are thinking about the integrity of the game, what they did was much worse that what Pete Rose did. Pete Rose is deservedly banned from baseball, anyone who had a part in this should be as well.

I agree.  Just like anyone who had a part in the Saints pay to injure other players scandal should be banned for life.

Both actions had great impacts on other players careers.  Pitchers got sent down, some never came back up, after getting shelled by the Astros.  Players lost income due to losses in regular season and post season games.

If MLB made the consequences of cheating like this as great as they did for testing positive for a PED's at the very minimum, it might have an effect.  

34 minutes ago, jsharr said:

On the AM sports talk today, the were talking about this.  Someone suggested that Astros batters not be allowed to take first base when hit by a pitch!

Typical fan and sports talk bullshit.  Maybe they should give the press a bat and send them to the plate to face a 100mph fastballer with inch thick glasses.  It might do their machismo some good.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Typical fan and sports talk bullshit.  Maybe they should give the press a bat and send them to the plate to face a 100mph fastballer with inch thick glasses.  It might do their machismo some good.

It was a listener that made the suggestion.  It was also a joke.  Maybe ask @Square Wheels or @Kzoo to explain this concept to you.  

• Whatever 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Not sure if it made the news outside of SoCal but a Dodger fan group bought 800 tickets to the Angels home opener which is against the Astros.  

The Astros will get a raucous welcoming to SoCal courtesy of Dodger fans who are known to be 1st rate a holes.  

Yeah, the Astros are going to get used to being booed pretty quickly.  Might even turn into motivation.  Would be hilarious if teams had trash cans for the fans to bang on near the Astros dugout.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Yeah, the Astros are going to get used to being booed pretty quickly.  Might even turn into motivation.  Would be hilarious if teams had trash cans for the fans to bang on near the Astros dugout.

I am curious to see how the firing of their manager & GM and all this turmoil impacts the team.  I’m also not convinced the cheating was just in 2017.  I’m guessing (hoping) the Astros come down a notch or two and the AL West becomes a bit more competitive.