Cables

Airehead

Long story but Paulie spilled a vase of flowers. Water dropped into the cabinet beside the fireplace. I had to take everything out to dry it. Makes me wonder-

Do you have a box of random computer, stereo and other cables?  If so, how large a collection?  What is the oldest thing in the box?

Here is a cute picture of Paulie smelling the flowers a couple days before he decide he should eat them. 

E7ED9788-3A78-4AD5-BCD9-4CFF8599FD22.jpeg

I've got three boxes of electronic stuff and cables. The boxes are those that you would use to archive documents in the office. There's a lot of cables in there. "The oldest thing"? I don't know. Some of that CATV stuff, some power converters for the automobile. If I need something, I look in the box first.

• Heart 2

12 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Do you have a box of random computer, stereo and other cables?  If so, how large a collection?  What is the oldest thing in the box?

In the garage is a large tub of that stuff.  I periodically purge it, but it still stays the same size as newer obsolete cables replace the older obsolete cables.  I am now at least just tossing the older tech - like a 3 megapixel Sony camera that was AWESOME until it wasn't rendered nearly useless.  

Too bad these things don't burn well, or I could add it to my burn pile. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Too bad these things don't burn well, or I could add it to my burn pile. 

The local recycling companies refuse to buy copper wire that has had the insulation stripped by heat.

In the old days, scrappers would collect and save their wire then burn off the insulation in a 55 gallon drum.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

The local recycling companies refuse to buy copper wire that has had the insulation stripped by heat.

In the old days, scrappers would collect and save their wire then burn off the insulation in a 55 gallon drum.

Why won't they accept it? Is the copper somehow ruined?  Seems like it would be fine :(

Just one?

Oldest stuff would include some of these

31LMjjvDAqL.jpg

I'm an electrical engineer who used to be into old computers and video games, though collection got pretty well cleared out when I moved two years ago.  So yeah, I got cables and more cables.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Just one?

Oldest stuff would include some of these

31LMjjvDAqL.jpg

I'm an electrical engineer who used to be into old computers and video games, though collection got pretty well cleared out when I moved two years ago.  So yeah, I got cables and more cables.

I still have that somewhere. Probably in the box w/ my Atari 2600...yeah I still have it.

@Airehead I have a of cables & such.  Mostly a mix of audio cables.

• Heart 2

36 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Why won't they accept it? Is the copper somehow ruined?  Seems like it would be fine :(

I believe they do it to reduce theft of cables. I'm not really sure. When you remove the insulation from electrical cables, one is indistinguishable from another. The source of the cable could not be questioned if the insulation is removed.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I believe they do it to reduce theft of cables. I'm not really sure. When you remove the insulation from electrical cables, one is indistinguishable from another. The source of the cable could not be questioned if the insulation is removed.

That's exactly what it is.  I've seen houses under construction completely stripped of wire and copper pipe overnight.  Strip off the insulation and it's harder to tell it was brand new wiring, left on it becomes pretty obvious that it was brand new wiring.

• Heart 1

From a scrapper's point of view, removing insulation resulted in higher return. Since the end user did not have to deal with the insulation in preparing the copper for use, they paid higher prices for it. Otherwise, they had to go to the expense of removing and disposing of the insulation.

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I still have that somewhere. Probably in the box w/ my Atari 2600...yeah I still have it.

I saved my Atari 2600 and LOTS of games too.    I saved my old Apple 2e computer, monitor, disk drives (remember those), dot matrix printer, sofware. etc...

Oldest cable, probably the extra RS232 cables. 

• Heart 1