My carbon footprint is shrinking due to global warming

Road Runner

My house is all electric.  Last winter was warmer than usual, this winter even warmer.  My electrical usage is way down so far this winter.  

I find it interesting that AC is as "cheap" as it is.  I always knew it was cheaper than heating, but I never knew the difference was so huge.

Capture.JPG.1354dded728227c4171aa7f893b26621.JPG  

• Heart 1

Just now, Road Runner said:

My house is all electric.  Last winter was warmer than usual, this winter even warmer.  My electrical usage is way down so far this winter.  

I find it interesting that AC is as "cheap" as it is.  I always knew it was cheaper than heating, but I never knew the difference was so huge.

I'm on natural gas, my AC is definitely not cheaper and I have about as an efficient AC unit as possible.

Honestly, if we would do away with daylight savings time, my AC bill would be a lot cheaper though.  We could then sleep with the windows open as we would be able to better get the house cooled off at night before going to bed.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:
Category Previous 12 months Current 12 months Avg temperature
Feb 44.84 45.6 31
Mar 28.4 29.15 41
Apr 18.3 15.54 49
May 11.03 14.56 54
Jun 7.31 8.19 62
Jul 7.3   59
Aug 8.15 9.11 64
Sep 9.14 12.84 49
Oct 13.67 18.44 41
Nov 34.62 38.3 35
Dec 42.91 49.25 33
Jan 44.74 43.78 33

What is this?  Kilowatts? Outdoor temps?

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Is your coldest month really in February or is this chart inflated because of your super bowl parties?

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

While Global Warming is a made up fairy tale

Exxon and Darpa found it in the 1970s. The sciences reached consensus in the 1990s.

Now the ice across most of the planet is melting, the seas are getting warmer, the peramafrost is not only melting, it's starting to burn regularly, releasing even more GHG. That's called a negative feedback loop.

If I wanted, I could type for a week, temp records, increasing storm intensity, fire intensity (sorry, Australia) and on and on and on and on...

There are none so blind.

3 minutes ago, late said:

Exxon and Darpa found it in the 1970s. The sciences reached consensus in the 1990s.

Now the ice across most of the planet is melting, the seas are getting warmer, the peramafrost is not only melting, it's starting to burn regularly, releasing even more GHG. That's called a negative feedback loop.

If I wanted, I could type for a week, temp records, increasing storm intensity, fire intensity (sorry, Australia) and on and on and on and on...

There are none so blind.

Lighten up Louie... Can't you tell sarcasm when you read it?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, late said:

There are none so blind.

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Lighten up Louie... Can't you tell sarcasm when you read it?

Yeah he bit.  But I can't blame him for not reading all of @Razors Edge's posts.  I'm not sure anybody has read nor would want to read all of RE's posts.  :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, late said:

Nope, sorry.

I deal with professional trolls on a daily basis elsewhere.

It does provide some wear and tear on the psyche.

Just to give you some background, @Razors Edge has been outspoken in support of your views. In fact, he's taken heat for it. Get it?  Heat?  Oh the irony.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

1000 sq ft

we have electric too for a water heater and lights. This is our heating costs. We are careful with energy.

I have a 2000 sq/ft home and my heating costs are in line with yours. Actually your costs are about half mine but I've got twice the sq/ft to heat too.

53 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This is also our cooking. We have a gas stove.

I can't compete.  My heating prices are more than yours but the line chart would be pretty close to yours if extended.  But you throw in a gas stove too?  Egad.  I know they make washer and dryers that run on natural gas.  You ever think about upgrading those appliances?

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I can't compete.  My heating prices are more than yours but the line chart would be pretty close to yours if extended.  But you throw in a gas stove too?  Egad.  I know they make washer and dryers that run on natural gas.  You ever think about upgrading those appliances?

Most of our appliances are new. We wanted an on demand WH, but my husband wasn't keen on punching through the roof.  Those require exhaust.  

We hand dry a lot of our clothes.  We never run the heat in the dishwasher.  The only lights we run are the ones for the room we are in.  

Our electricity runs about 50 a month in addition to that heating chart.   

16 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

While Global Warming is a made up fairy tale, I again recommend folks at least up their pollution output to 1970's levels.  If you aren't doing your best to keep pumping out the toxins our world needs to be productive, you're part of the problem!

I'm really starting to like you.  I've got my eyes on you buddy.

Mudkipz

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Dottles said:

I mean who needs reefs?  Just the fish.  And without fish, there's not much to eat.  It's an ecological disaster that can't be stopped.  But climate change is fake news.

https://news.agu.org/press-release/warming-acidic-oceans-may-nearly-eliminate-coral-reef-habitats-by-2100/

So sad.  In just a few more generations, no more beautiful snorkeling. That is tragic. 

Not a funny joke, but some seem to think this is funny.  It's not.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

So sad.  In just a few more generations, no more beautiful snorkeling. That is tragic. 

Not a funny joke, but some seem to think this is funny.  It's not.

It's not just snorkeling. The lower end of the fish chain eat the corral. If they die off, it has a rippling effect up the food chain. This has huge implications. The good news? Almost everybody in this forum will be dead.

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

It's not just snorkeling. The lower end of the fish chain eat the corral. If they die off, it has a rippling effect up the food chain. This has huge implications. The good news? Almost everybody in this forum will be dead.

I was trying to give another reason other than the obvious.  Maybe people would care about recreation as well as food security.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:54 AM, Indy said:

I'm on natural gas, my AC is definitely not cheaper and I have about as an efficient AC unit as possible.

Honestly, if we would do away with daylight savings time, my AC bill would be a lot cheaper though.  We could then sleep with the windows open as we would be able to better get the house cooled off at night before going to bed.

Basically the same here. My winter bills used to be 3x as high as summer bills but are now 2x as much

• Heart 1

We don't have any type of air conditioning.  We had an air conditioner on the trailer, but my husband took it off and put a fan there.  If we get hot, we just open the doors and windows.  He took it off, so we can put it in our garage. It just fits.  Keeps that trailer tip top shape and out of weather, mostly.

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I was trying to give another reason other than the obvious.  Maybe people would care about recreation as well as food security.

Who here will be alive in 2100???? It is - at best - folks' kids' problem and most likely their grandkids, great grand kids, or even great great grand kids mess to sort out!

Why harsh our mellow, when it's not something we'll have to deal or worry about? Heck, we might get all the positives and none of the negatives!

#BurnYourRecyclables

• Heart 1
  • Envious 1

42 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Who here will be alive in 2100???? It is - at best - folks' kids' problem and most likely their grandkids, great grand kids, or even great great grand kids mess to sort out!

Why harsh our mellow, when it's not something we'll have to deal or worry about? Heck, we might get all the positives and none of the negatives!

#BurnYourRecyclables

Reef bleaching is happening now.

#Rideabiketowork #takepublictransit #reduce/recycle #buynontoxichomeproducts #reduceyourenergyuse #carryyourownsilverwareandnapkin #keepasparecoffeecupinyourcar  #dowahtyoucan #everybithelps

;)

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

And I'm in the market for a new or new 'used' car and my wife is clamoring for a compact SUV.  And I can't even afford the hybrid models -- let alone a new gas one.  But if I don't get rid of my current car within the next 6 months, it's likely to be way more costlier.  Then I'll have to get something crappier and more pollutant. 

I blame @Road Runner.  

10 minutes ago, Dottles said:

And I'm in the market for a new or new 'used' car and my wife is clamoring for a compact SUV.  And I can't even afford the hybrid models -- let alone a new gas one.  But if I don't get rid of my current car within the next 6 months, it's likely to be way more costlier.  Then I'll have to get something crappier and more pollutant. 

I blame @Road Runner.  

2F57A0DA-EB86-4180-BB4F-3652A03B6CA9.thumb.jpeg.80a158d7ef2846ef2a8b2537a269b817.jpeg

• Heart 1