Parasite, 2019 Best Picture Oscar - English Subtitles

MickinMD

Parasite (2019) became the first foreign film and first foreign-language-only film to ever win the Best Picture Oscar, winning at the recent Acadamy Awards.

So why is the title "Parasite" and not the Korean language "Gisaengchung?"

After all, the first have-to-see foreign language movie I remember, is Das Boot (1981). It was originally only in German and so was the title - except when the German submariners sang "It's a long way to Tipperary" in English.  Then they dubbed it in English and released it as "The Boat."

And the French film about one of the greatest pop singers of all time, Edith Piaf, has the title, "La Vie En Rose."

I guess I'll have to watch Parasite in Korean because who knows when they'll get smart and put out a version dubbed in English?

But there's already one in French and one in Spanish.

I hope it's a good as Das Boot!

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Parasite (2019) became the first foreign film and first foreign-language-only film to ever win the Best Picture Oscar, winning at the recent Acadamy Awards.

So why is the title "Parasite" and not the Korean language "Gisaengchung?"

After all, the first have-to-see foreign language movie I remember, is Das Boot (1981). It was originally only in German and so was the title - except when the German submariners sang "It's a long way to Tipperary" in English.  Then they dubbed it in English and released it as "The Boat."

And the French film about one of the greatest pop singers of all time, Edith Piaf, has the title, "La Vie En Rose."

I guess I'll have to watch Parasite in Korean because who knows when they'll get smart and put out a version dubbed in English?

But there's already one in French and one in Spanish.

I hope it's a good as Das Boot!

Good point, Mick.

Perhaps you and others can tell us what you thought about the movie.