Leaving for England on Friday

Chris...

8 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Have a fabulous time. Can you bring me some Percy Pigs?

Marks & Spencer Percy Pig sweets originally contained real pig in the form of pork gelatin, as opposed to pectin, a common vegetarian alternative found widely in sweets and jellies. In 2011 Veggie Percy was launched, a vegetarian variety of Percy Pigsweets using beeswax and pea protein.

• Awesome 1

9 hours ago, Scrapr said:
10 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Remember to "LOOK RIGHT"

I'm going to London in April. I am worried to death about this

Actually in London, they are good about marking the streets like this in many locations.

image.jpeg.ffe01d5b8446a5dc3050b15a6fffdf4c.jpeg

I'll guess they had too may Americans get run over looking the wrong way.

The last time I was in NY, they didn't care enough to mark the streets. 

Just remember what your mother probably told you "Look both ways before crossing street."    That works too.

• Heart 2

Then again…  I didn’t drive anywhere in London.  We walked, took the tube, rode trains, and took busses, and s few times rode in a taxi.  Even when went to places like Stonehenge.

I was scared to death if I drove anywhere, when I would turn left or right at an intersection, I’d screw that up and end up being that stupid American who wrecked the rental car.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I'll guess they had too may Americans get run over looking the wrong way.

Don't blame Americans.  The rest of the civilized world (minus Japan) that isn't under the thumb of the Imperialists know that you drive on the RIGHT, so the Brits are just warning the Germans, Austrians, Swedes, French, Italians, Canadian, Mexicans, Slovaks, Czechs, Slovenians, Russian, Ukranians, Turks, Greeks, Swiss, Dutch, Danes, Finns, Moroccans, Israelis, Poles, Hungarians, Portuguese, Argentinians, Chileans, Norwegians, Bosnians, Peruvians, Colombians, Chinese, Egyptians, Ecuadorians, etc etc etc.

FTR, though, I didn't see that kindness in Australia not New Zealand. I bet it is not done in India either.

1920px-Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Chris... said:

My brother just emailed me. He got me 3 tickets for England vs Ireland on Sunday. It’s sold out, he knows people. 

I hate you. :nyanya:

I never made it to England, and I would have loved to go. Google up things you don't say to the English.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

THERE IS STILL TIME!!!!!!

Go while you can. What is keeping you back?

I'm decrepit, and while I am comfy, my retirement income won't stretch to include trips abroad.

Something that might surprise you is high tea. It's a distinctly British luxury, and as genuine luxuries go, not that expensive.

https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery/best-afternoon-tea-in-london

14 minutes ago, late said:

I'm decrepit, and while I am comfy, my retirement income won't stretch to include trips abroad.

I hear you on both counts, but gotta say it might be worth finding a way to do it or a different "dream" trip.

A retired person has pretty great flexibility in time & dates, so you could easily set up a fare watching process - manual and making use of the ones from travel sites.  If a super low fare pops up at the last minute, you could grab it and go!  I see $800 flights to London from Portland in May.  That's the bulk of your cost, and using the internet, you can find some inexpensive B&Bs or VRBO options. 

Sure, $800 + another $500 - $1,000 for a week in England is a stretch on a tight retirement income, but spread out over 12 months of savings, it might be way more manageable than you think (putting $100-$150 aside each month).  And that's just with "regular" no travel specials/deals.  Some groups tour companies like a Gate 1 or a travel outlet like TravelZoo have nice packages and also last minute deals.

Anyway, I encourage you to think about it. Get excited about it. And just do it :D

• Heart 1

About the Cafe Royal:

"A word of caution: for those of you of a sensitive disposition, easily disturbed by high Victorian grandeur and gilt, or who get in a tizz about anything other than clean-lined minimalism, look away now. This tea takes place in the Café Royal’s sumptuous Oscar Wilde Lounge, née Grill Room, conjured in the 19th century as a paean to belle-époque Paris, all golden rococo curls and twirls, painted ceilings and shameless female statuary. Plush with a capital P, in the heart of the Nash-designed building, since updated by Sir David Chipperfield. No wonder Cecil Beaton called it the loveliest room in London..."

What I want in my waning years is a bit of style.

• Heart 1

44 minutes ago, late said:

Been there, done that.

You prob didn't actually read the article, but I liked the sound of Claridge, which would go over $200 just for lunch.

Build it in!  So, you're telling me that a $200 lunch expense is going to keep you from a wonderful vacation?

Think of the fun you'll have mixing it up in the Jolly Olde England!  High tea will be just one of many highlights.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Build it in!  So, you're telling me that a $200 lunch expense is going to keep you from a wonderful vacation?

Think of the fun you'll have mixing it up in the Jolly Olde England!  High tea will be just one of many highlights.

sitting in a cramped seat for several hours would make me a prime candidate for an embolism.

my last trip to europe was that cycling trip in Italy. We stayed in nice places and ate in mostly good restaurants, and a couple great ones.

I have no interest in budget trips now, esp. since it would mean a lot of economising for a couple years.

just to add insult to injury, I need to buy a car this year...