Now is the winter of our discontent....

petitepedal

Who is feeling this now? :desk: I am feeling lazy, tired..and frustrated with planet fitness..@Further is feeling sore.. @Airehead is struggling with Mr Aire and 3 doggies...we are almost Spring..but not quite. I am thinking about now we could all list our "discontents" Job, co-workers, whatever...is it seasonal?  Is it real?

Mid winter blues...or more?

• Awesome 1

...our spring is way ahead of yours. the camellias and all the flowering cherries are in bloom, and many of the earliest daffodils are already bloomed out.

When I lived in MN, I used to try to go someplace in February where I could see green stuff.  But as a hippie, I had more vacation time flexibility. :) 

• Heart 1

I've had a great run of luck the past couple of weeks and I know it's got to end.

I've been approaching red lights just as they're turning green, one of my 90-day prescriptions cost $1.50 and the others $10 - my minimum copay, being outside has been unbelievably enjoyable - if we don't get snow tomorrow (none expected) it's probable that it will be the first year ever Baltimore didn't have a flake of snow in February.  Highs in the 50's and 60's are forecast for next week.

The total of my credit card statements for Mar. 15 are the lowest in 15 months.

I finally got the checks this week for the $100 and $64.13 to reimburse what came out of my pocket last April to fix my car that was rear-ended and rent a car.

Wed. I got my $59.19 Cash Rewards Certificate for the 2019 cash-back for my Costco Visa card.

Tues. the biggest stock dividends I get were awarded and reinvested in new shares.

In the past two weeks, my stocks have soared, hit a key milestone, and I'm doing better than the S&P 500 Index and 80% of pro fund managers.

So I'm expecting to get hit with a big expense and for deep snow.

• Heart 1

We’ve had a lot of rain. Lake is almost at the highest level since it was dammed up. It’s raining again this am. 

Had a coupla niggling sorenesses, shoulder & quad. Kinda feeling tired all the time, and workouts have suffered.  Chicken & egg?

Thinking about retirement for if/when it comes. Incomes vs out goes. Life expectancy vs assets. 

9 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Not really discontent here.  Things are moving along.  I’d like to have had a more ‘seasonal’ winter here, but am looking forward to spring.  Mrs Z and I were backpacking on the AT in PA over the weekend, and early signs of spring abounded.  Was quite lovely.

How’s the shoulder??

26 minutes ago, 2Far said:

We’ve had a lot of rain. Lake is almost at the highest level since it was dammed up. It’s raining again this am. 

Had a coupla niggling sorenesses, shoulder & quad. Kinda feeling tired all the time, and workouts have suffered.  Chicken & egg?

Thinking about retirement for if/when it comes. Incomes vs out goes. Life expectancy vs assets. 

How’s the shoulder??

Shoulder is doing ok. 

Retirement sounds good. 😊 

• Heart 1

We've had 3 mostly sunny days in a row which, per a local weather talkin' guy, was the first time that happened since July of 2018.  I think it is supposed to be sunny (albeit cold) again today.  This weekend the temps are supposed to get into the 40's with sun again.   

All in all, this winter could be much worse.

• Heart 1

-8 was seen on my car's outside temp on the way to work. Counting down. 8 days to vacation in the Southwest! One of my cycling friends said her crocuses were popping up. Bet the snow yesterday did wonders for them! Supposed to be near 60 this Saturday! Looking forward to a good ride and Miata time before the rain and snow re-appear on Sunday...

As Mick noted, this winter has been almost non-existent from a snow and ice perspective - which is FINE WITH ME!

On the downside, we haven't made any trips to ski country since the relatively local resorts have little good snow and my wife's schedule is crazy hectic so going to CO or UT has been nixed :( 

In general, I consider this a pretty "good" winter, yet my wife commented yesterday how crappy this winter has been.  Since I'm the one who commutes in the ice/slush/snow, I have different standards of what a good winter is like :D but my feeling is that as long as we get the proper amount of precipitation to keep us out of a drought, then I'd rather have rain than snow.

• Heart 1

We've been quite fortunate; we've had quite a bit of sun lately. That helps an upper Midwest winter a lot! Daughters haven't been quite so fortunate downstate.

I'm tired of the stressful office I work in. I'm considering bidding into a different job.

Other than that, things aren't too bad here considering we have another month and a half of winter. (Fingers crossed it's only a month and a half!)

Winter has been surprisingly mild here so far.  I was a bit stressed about the rental car thing, but feel better having my car back.   Things had been quiet for awhile but are getting busy again, and I'm always testy when I don't get enough sleep.

I do have one bitch in recent months with the last idiocy occurring last week: CVS Pharmacy - and I have cousins in Wilkes-Barre, PA and Bristol, PA who are as angry as I am due to similar stuff.

For the first time since I was prescribed it in the early 00's, CVS Prescription Benefits Manager rejected payment for Metformin ER (Extended Release) - a generic drug.  They didn't bother notifying me they would stop paying for it, so I ended up going 1 week without my main diabetes medication until my petitioned for an exception was granted and I got it for 1 year.  My doctor said that since I take it twice a day, I can take the regular Metformin and I'll be fine, so I won't have to petition each year for an exception and hope I get it. The ER version is virtually the same total price on my old formulary list.

I have near-Cadillac Medicare Supplemental insurance including Prescription that is over $600/month at low, very-large-employer rates that's 75% subsidized by my former employer and union.  I've NEVER had a problem like the one above and those below in the last 4 decades.

CVS PBM has been and will continue paying for desloratadine (generic Prescription Clarinex).  But, I have to get it in 90 day supplies and I have to get my 90 day prescriptions from CVS Pharmacy: which no longer carries desloratadine!

The substitution I was prescribed was loratadine, non-prescription Claratin.  It didn't work as well.  I did some online research and found that Cetirizine (generic Zyrtec (over the counter)) worked better than Clarinex in studies for allergies.  I found it was $13.14 for 300 pills on Amazon. I tried it. It works. F.U. CVS!

CVS also stopped carrying my combo blood pressure med, Losartan-HCTZ.  Now I have to get Losartan and get HCTZ.  It only adds up to $1.50 more, but it's still a pain.

Finally, one med I got in 45 mg tablets, which my doctor reduced to 30 mg, hasn't worked as well so I asked him to raise it back to 45 mg.  CVS pharmacy ended up filling 120 30mg tablets with instructions to take 1 1/2 per day instead of the 90 45 mg, once per day - and the pharmacist told me the 45 mg was in stock.  When I went to pick up the corrected prescription, they were ready to ring up both the 45 mg tablets AND the 30 mg tablets, until I told them to ditch to 30 mg, which had been canceled by my doctor!

Years ago I managed the West Coast for a firm that included Alaska.  It seemed the Alaskans went stir crazy in February and I had to fly up there both years I worked for the firm in February to put out some fire.  The locals put it up to them just getting sick of the snow & cold... 

In the grand scheme of things I got nothing to bitch about.

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Years ago I managed the West Coast for a firm that included Alaska.  It seemed the Alaskans went stir crazy in February and I had to fly up there both years I worked for the firm in February to put out some fire.  The locals put it up to them just getting sick of the snow & cold... 

In the grand scheme of things I got nothing to bitch about.

You're actually going to have pretty nice weather for your trip to Helena.

• Awesome 1