I'm starting a GoFundMe for my taxes

Square Wheels

It could be worse..  You could have purchased a Land Rover. 

I got tired of paying the Land Rover tax each year.  Repair bills for the Land Rover were more than than your excise tax each year.   

I liked when the replaced both cylinder heads (under warranty) because they found they machined the valve guides incorrectly and after a while the valves would stick open.  

Or when I first got the car, I probably was the only person who ever tried to open the car with the mechanical key.  That would set off the alarm, and something would short out (can't remember now) and in a few days the battery was dead.  I complained, etc..  they had my car for about 2 weeks and I found out they had to issue a TSB because of the issue I found. 

I'm glad we don't have excise tax on cars here.  They get us in other ways... 

13 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

This is the second year bill.

Photo - Google Photos.png

2.5% isn't awful, and it is tied to the value of the property, eh?

We were at 4.57% on vehicles, but then they passed "temporary" relief so it is actually only 1/3 of the 4.57% (up to the first ~$20k value) and then the full 4.57 on the rest.

In other words, a shit show that pays for a shit show of roads and bridges.  But, folks like (& need) a nice car since they spend a LOT of time sitting in traffic. Might as well be comfortable.

So far, they haven't taxed my bikes (beyond sales tax), so I get by fairly cheaply.

Your bill would be $2,016 in the Great State of Virginia!

Just now, dennis said:

Just stating facts. 

I'd say your point, and it is a valid one, is that cars have a great deal of up front costs AS WELL AS year-to-year costs, and, for the most part, the owner/purchaser is FULLY AWARE of those costs.  It's sort of a classic "you can't have your cake and eat it too" situation, as you can't expect a swanky, spanking new car to be both delightful and inexpensive.

Of course, we're all gonna be "guilty" of wanting to bitch and moan once in a while.

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You could move here and it would cost you $132 for two years of registration.   

I doubt he'd like to double his state income tax!!! The guy makes BANK!  Going from 5% to almost 10% would hurt more than that tiny car tax bill.

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

No state sales tax. 

Not sure if he has that in his state.

Sales tax vs income tax. It's a wash, but gets ugly the more income you have (income tax) or the poorer you are (sales tax).  So, high income folks might shy away from high income tax states, but low income folks might shy away from high sales tax states.  Most states just blend the two.

15 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

We pay it every year for the privilege of driving on these horrendous roads.

What does registration cost?  What is your local tax rate?  Is your fuel taxed to support roads?  What is your state sales tax rate?

Here is how the state pays for our roads in Texas.  Half comes from the Federal govt and the other half is primarily from fuel taxes and vehicle registration fees in Texas.
image.png.cbcd7b287380aa1c79e0fd5659290f75.png

We've posted this before, I think, but it's always interesting.  Here is Kiplinger's interactive tax map.

It; gives an overall rating for a state, but if you click on the state it goes into more detail on the types of taxes collected in the state which can impact significantly how much an individual actually pays depending on which taxes impact that person. .

57 minutes ago, Kirby said:

We've posted this before, I think, but it's always interesting.  Here is Kiplinger's interactive tax map.

It; gives an overall rating for a state, but if you click on the state it goes into more detail on the types of taxes collected in the state which can impact significantly how much an individual actually pays depending on which taxes impact that person. .

Yeah - even with a nutty car tax (personal property tax), VA does well in this chart/map:

image.png.e38c73eba3cec3b1870a64e7e70546c5.png

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Property tax on cars in CT.........to the towns, not the state.  I pay almost 2K per year but that's on two older cars, one 2009 Cube and one 2016 Scion. 

Seems to be how it is often done.  It is done that way down here in VA, but EVERY county has their "car" tax, just the rates vary. They've tried to tweak it over the years, so we now have the reduced rate under the state funded "relief" rules, but those are not guaranteed until re-voted on every year (I think), and likely it will never be fixed/phased out.

I pay under $100 for each car, but that's a benefit of owning 17 yr old Hondas.

7 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

You need to move to Florida...

No State income tax

Auto fee (not tax) based on weight putting wear and tear on the road and total for both cars around $55.

My home/property tax was just barely over your auto tax at $1625

Sales tax at 6.5%

Florida is a great retirement option.  They benefit from the HUGE HUMONGOUS tourist trade that helps the locals pay less.  It is a good gig for the few places that can pull it off.  Delaware has the other cool gig of "taxing" out of state folks on I-95. 

I wouldn't choose Florida over California, but I could see using it as a "fake" home address in retirement.  Spend my time around the US, but make Florida my tax friendly home base.

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Florida is a great retirement option.  They benefit from the HUGE HUMONGOUS tourist trade that helps the locals pay less.  It is a good gig for the few places that can pull it off.  Delaware has the other cool gig of "taxing" out of state folks on I-95. 

I wouldn't choose Florida over California, but I could see using it as a "fake" home address in retirement.  Spend my time around the US, but make Florida my tax friendly home base.

Can smaller people vacation in Florida?  Asking for a friend.

32 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

You need to move to Florida...

No State income tax

Auto fee (not tax) based on weight putting wear and tear on the road and total for both cars around $55.

My home/property tax was just barely over your auto tax at $1625

Sales tax at 6.5%

Property tax is much higher in Texas, but other than that, we are close.
image.png.8d22fad0c57e6a494664ad3785052d0a.png
So I pay about $2.25 per $100 of taxable value on my home.  

What is local sales tax?  .0825 in Texas.  State is .06.

Our ISD tax rate is 1.67%, our city tax rate is 

7 hours ago, jsharr said:

What does registration cost?  What is your local tax rate?  Is your fuel taxed to support roads?  What is your state sales tax rate?

Registration isn't terrible, can't remember.  Less than 100.

Local taxes rate?  Property taxes?  About 7 grand a year.

Yes, gas is taxed in MA.

Sales tax is 6.25.  That just on purchase also.

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

Property tax is much higher in Texas, but other than that, we are close.

Not that close... 

image.png.55c8b8e7878803e1fe87fc59649235ff.png

Plus 6.25% sales tax, and counties and cities can add to that.  I don't buy much stuff in Chicago.

The gasoline tax doubled last July from 19 cents to 38 cents per gallon.

Auto registration just about doubled to $150 per year.

The state income tax is now 4.95%.  With changes possible after election day in November when we get vote for changes to the Illinois constitution. 

Now you know why Illinois is a red state in the map posted above.

12 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

image.png.e38c73eba3cec3b1870a64e7e70546c5.png

....they really charge you more in taxes to live in Nebraska than in California ?  What am I missing ? :huh:

I've driven through Nebraska in the winter, and it was snowing like hell, so the visibility was limited. Is that what the taxes pay for, snow removal ?

6 hours ago, Page Turner said:

....they really charge you more in taxes to live in Nebraska than in California ?  What am I missing ? :huh:

I've driven through Nebraska in the winter, and it was snowing like hell, so the visibility was limited. Is that what the taxes pay for, snow removal ?

Yeah, I never heard of CA as tax friendly in the least!  But I guess most of the high cost of living is other costs, like high housing prices.