Car is sick

Dottleshead

8 minutes ago, Dottles said:

after he initially found a cupful of oil left since our last service a few thousand miles ago.

Is this the same car from the other thread?  And I posted

The oil light flashing…  The oil could be low and you need to add NOW, before you damage the engine.  Years ago I was in a car of my friend and I notice the oil light flickering.  He told me; “I’m not worried there is lots of oil”.   A few minutes later, the engine bearings seized up and totaled his engine.

• Confused 1
  • Envious 1

3 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Is this the same car from the other thread?  And I posted

The oil light flashing…  The oil could be low and you need to add NOW, before you damage the engine.  Years ago I was in a car of my friend and I notice the oil light flickering.  He told me; “I’m not worried there is lots of oil”.   A few minutes later, the engine bearings seized up and totaled his engine.

That's it.

22 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Mechanic ... started it up and heard pinging.      he initially found a cupful of oil left since our last service

9 minutes ago, Dottles said:

It's under warranty... hopefully.

It probably wont take the dealer long to figure out the only way the engine damage could be done is lack of oil.   And that won't be covered... 

Yeah time for a new car.

44 minutes ago, Dottles said:

New problem after he initially found a cupful of oil left since our last service a few thousand miles ago. 

Does that mean there was only a cupful of oil left in the crankcase??

I’ma guessing that “pinging” is actually knocking. And, that ain’t good at all. 

24 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

It probably wont take the dealer long to figure out the only way the engine damage could be done is lack of oil.   And that won't be covered... 

Yeah time for a new car.

I disagree. My understanding is it didn't come on until just recently. And I have accurate service records to show it. And see my post below. It will be covered.

1 minute ago, 2Far said:

Does that mean there was only a cupful of oil left in the crankcase??

I’ma guessing that “pinging” is actually knocking. And, that ain’t good at all. 

I agree. They're going to pay. The model we bought had a recall and I'm going to get an attorney. It's all over the internet. 2015 Hyundai Sonata Eco dual clutch turbo 1.6L

12 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I agree. They're going to pay. The model we bought had a recall and I'm going to get an attorney. It's all over the internet. 2015 Hyundai Sonata Eco dual clutch turbo 1.6L

Don't spend money on an attorney unless they say no.

Talking to a guy does detailing at a Hyundai dealership, they swap engines and trans like underwear. Took away his detail room to pile up junk motors..... 

• Heart 1

Hyundai has a serious engine problem.

Jason Levine, executive director of the Center for Auto Safety, a consumer group that has petitioned the government seeking more Hyundai and Kia recalls, said the fire and engine problems keep spreading to more vehicles.

"This recall raises the question of whether we are even beyond the tip of the iceberg with these non-crash fires with both of these manufacturers," Levine said. "How many times are we going to hear from either Hyundai or Kia that these circumstances are unique to a particular model and then have another recall or fire situation announced weeks or months later?"

• Awesome 1

51 minutes ago, Further said:

Talking to a guy does detailing at a Hyundai dealership, they swap engines and trans like underwear. Took away his detail room to pile up junk motors..... 

No money down:

https://www.lemberglaw.com/2015-2016-hyundai-sonata-problems-complaints-lemon/

54 minutes ago, Further said:

No money down:

https://www.lemberglaw.com/2015-2016-hyundai-sonata-problems-complaints-lemon/

My husband checks the fluid level about once a month.  He never waits for the light to tell him that.  When we do all that traveling, the hood always comes up before we leave.  He is very good about the service records and caring for the vehicle. This is imperative. 

I hope it all works out for you.  If they know you ran it out of oil, it may void any compensation or warranty.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

My husband checks the fluid level about once a month.  He never waits for the light to tell him that.  When we do all that traveling, the hood always comes up before we leave.  He is very good about the service records and caring for the vehicle. This is imperative. 

I hope it all works out for you.  If they know you ran it out of oil, it may void any compensation or warranty.

A car is supposed to go 3000 miles to replace it. An engine light sensor should have come on. Nowhere does it say I am responsible checking the oil in between services. I have met my requirements. 

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

Nowhere does it say I am responsible checking the oil in between services.

Check your owners manual.  I found this on the web for your car.   In the "Owners Maintenance" section.  

image.png.dac65e8949e00fe9c6a7881b8949aa29.png

The oil is changed once every 10,000 miles in my 2016 Prius, that’s the recommend interval.  I check the oil level in my 3 cars just about every time I fill up the gas tank.   That’s every few hundred miles.  I don’t trust how long the oil ‘should’ remain in an engine.  I want to be sure it’s there.  

Sure, a light should come on and warn you, but by then it’s usually too late for the engine.

That said, good luck.  I really do hope Hyundai replaces the engine.  I’m assuming the knocking noise is probably a crankshaft bearing that fused to the crankshaft.

10 minutes ago, Couch_Incident said:

Yea.  Mine isn't a hybrid but if I'm honest, I don't care.

Japanese cars are the best.  

Mudkipz

Well, if it's really bad and it's covered then it gets fixed -- they pay for it.  I probably sell it in time but there is no rush.  If they put it on me, then I fix it anyway because the resale value is still greater than the repair work. Then I either drive it into the ground and squeeze out as many miles on it that I can or I sell it immediately, salvage as much as value I can out of it, and replace it with the car we really want.  The latter requires some sacrifices and some agreements -- but we may do it. Since we only have one car, reliability is really important to us.

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

Well, if it's really bad and it's covered then it gets fixed.  I probably replace it but there is no rush.  If they put it on me, then I fix it anyway because the resale value is still greater than the repair work. Then I either drive it into the ground and squeeze out as many miles on it that I can or I sell it immediately, salvage as much as I can out of it, and replace it with the car we really want.  The latter requires some sacrifices and some agreements -- but we may do it. Since we only have one car, reliability is really important to us.

Yea, we only have one car but, Tude doesn't drive.  Once we get settled in the house, I'm going to buy something to wrench on.  I'll probably rebuild that Frenchy bike Page sent me.

I rarely use the car though.  I have less thank 2K miles on it and I've owned it since October.  The RAVie will probably be the last new car I'll buy for a very very very long time; since it is Japanese and they obviously make the best cars in the world.

I'll probably buy a used BMW to work on.

Mudkipz

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Correct me if I am wrong, and forgive my 'big brother' concerns, but don't new cars with the computer/electronics keep a history that one could use to tell just when the oil pressure became low? I base this on some comments I've read and nothing first hand.

My point exactly. They basically sold it to me as I don't need to do any maintenance but it's normally scheduled services. Their sales staff actually told me that at purchase.

14 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

My car doesn't have a dipstick.  :(

I talked to my coworker, his Beemers don't have one either. Might not have an oil plug on the pan, either. Says they suck the oil out to change it. Says he doesn't know what an oil change costs as they are a  part of his deals.

In my Subaru Forester’s owner’s manual, they specifically mention;

image.png.ce690ec3786c08458398c46d7e9527c7.png

That means on a NEW car, if oil consumption is less than 1 quart per 1200 miles that’s OK.   In theory in 3000 miles it could be 2.5 quarts down.  And that’s a new car.  A car with 89K miles will consume more oil than it did when it was new. I seldom add oil to my Subaru, but I have added oil.

Sure you engine had no issues for 89K miles. I’d bet that it was low on oil (considerably low closer to 89K) each time it was changed.

If you kept all of your maintenance records, you have a good argument against Hyundai. 

You can prove you maintained the car and changed the oil as when needed.

If they ask; Was the oil level checked?  You can say yes. I’m sure the oil was checked at the time it was filled.

And you do have a good case because of all of the other issues Hyundai had with engines failing because of manufacturing debris being left in the engines. And that blocked the oil passages in some engines killing them.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

but don't new cars with the computer/electronics keep a history that one could use to tell just when the oil pressure became low? I

I'm not sure if low oil pressure will trigger the check engine light, which would be a code saved in the computer.   

Then again there was a check engine light mentioned in the other thread.

I feel bad for my car :(  I did an annual oil change a week ago.  For whatever insane reason, they still think 3k miles is a proper duration, but who follows that nonsense????

I think Hyundai has a good reputation for standing by their cars and the warranty.

I also saw the hybrid Rav4 was Motorweek's compact SUV choice again this year. Hard to beat it, and progressively better styling as it ages.

• Heart 1