Car is sick

Dottleshead

Well it just keeps getting weirder. So he took a bunch of steps to troubleshoot the pinging last night and then it just went away. So he takes it out to test drive it this morning, and the master brake went out and he doesn't feel comfortable releasing it. He had to use the e-brake to prevent going into traffic. For the first time in 20 years in working with him, he acknowledged he is having trouble pinning down the issue(s). He said he needed to keep it until at least Monday. I told him to take what he needs. He's the only guy in the shop today so doubtful he makes any solid ground.

That’s probably good news about the engine.  Seized bearing noises don’t just go away.  (note I said probably)

My list of what’s important to maintain on a car;

1)      Brakes (including tires) – stopping is a good thing

2)      Steering

3)      Everything else

Get the brakes fixed, and sell the car before things get worse.

My wife's 97 Honda Prelude (which doesn't get driven in the snow or salt) has only 90K miles and she still loves the car.  And it still looks good.

We traded our 99 Land Rover for the 2010 Subaru (65K miles).  I just got tired of all of the repair bills for the Land Rover.  The bill were always in the category, if you have to ask you can't afford it.  We looked at a Mercedes SUV, but didn't want to find out how much they cost to repair. 

And my 2016 Prius (65K miles) we will keep for a while.  My last Prius was an 2005 (251K miles) and that was traded for the 2016.  

Notice the pattern... 

19 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

My car doesn't have a dipstick.  :(

Pretty soon, it's going to get to the point where the car's computer connection will be the only way you can find out anything about your car.

It's already become hard to do simple stuff yourself. When I was a poor teen, my parents didn't own a car, and I needed to buy a car to commute to college the next year. I got a '59 Chevy Impala with a 283 V8 engine for $300 and learned how to fix simple things like rebuild the carburetor with a $7 kit and replace the radiator with a $5 one from the junkyard. They are hardly minor fixes today for various reasons including the tiny spaces around the motor.

Self-service emissions inspection in Maryland now: connect a plug to your car's computer:

2048428859_3.KioskMachine.jpg.67e3e4dc8877a95586a7eaf16d7ddc4b.jpg  656090915_4.testcablepluggedintoconnectorandoutcar.jpg.77efdd3b1e7282a2e6d07a4ba3ec9650.jpg

1553793791_5.testcablepluggedintoconnector600p.jpg.e49ba7bb72afb24bf17d2ab019311104.jpg  1755354179_2.16-pinconnector.jpg.ce046014c08ce95a523abdcc57fdcf79.jpg

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

Well I just need to get the car healthy to unload it -- which I will. But I don't have as big of angst as I just bought a new Hybrid RAV4. My wife and I couldn't be happier. For now we put down a non-refundable fee to have them transfer it our dealership. We pick it up next Saturday.

Whoa, that was fast!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Whoa, that was fast!

Yeah, this thing was blowing up.  We had been considering changing for awhile and this last series of events pushed us over the edge -- we ran for the exits. We drive a lot. We've got one car and it's got to work reliably all the time.  

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I don’t really do that for new cars. I guess maybe I should start now that the “new” 2013 car has 132k on it. 

This.

I became used to newer cars not using any oil, if there wasn't a puddle under it I didn't worry about it. Changed oil in the Element yesterday, 175,000 miles on the car, it was down a bit over a quart, 10,000 miles on the oil.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Further said:

This.

I became used to newer cars not using any oil, if there wasn't a puddle under it I didn't worry about it. Changed oil in the Element yesterday, 175,000 miles on the car, it was down a bit over a quart, 10,000 miles on the oil.

I thought of you and lj yesterday when I saw a pristine charcoal or black Element parked at the park. Dang thing looked brand new!

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I don’t really do that for new cars. I guess maybe I should start now that the “new” 2013 car has 132k on it. 

New cars should always be checked till they prove that they are "good".  I can't say for the newest generation of cars but back in the day a "new" car would consume a bit of oil during breakin while all the parts were being machined into good clearance.

Well, I go pick up the car today.  I took it in for a 90k service and the darn thing almost blew up on me.  Now I have to drop $835 because the master brake cylinder coincidentally needed replacing. That includes the 90k service.  Ugh. All of it is a waste now as I decided to buy another car.  Life.  Breakdowns don't happen when we want them.

• Heart 1

I know that most of you know but it's a good reminder that the oil light dashboard indicator is a pressure gauge and not a float in measuring when your oil is low. Thus oil lights only come on when the pressure is high or low. So it's a good idea to check your oil levels as Max mentions anyway. It's easy and adds extra security.

9 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I know that most of you know but it's a good reminder that the oil light dashboard indicator is a pressure gauge and not a float in measuring when your oil is low. Thus oil lights only come on when the pressure is high or low. So it's a good idea to check your oil levels as Max mentions anyway. It's easy and adds extra security.

I make it a habit to scroll through the vehicle information screens  in my dash.  they will show, tire pressure at all 4 corners, oil temp, coolant temp, trans fluid temp, oil pressure and more.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I make it a habit to scroll through the vehicle information screens  in my dash.  they will show, tire pressure at all 4 corners, oil temp, coolant temp, trans fluid temp, oil pressure and more.

Yes and according to my wife they just started appearing for flashes and then a coast-is-clear silence. So she did well telling me immediately and I did well acting on it. The Toyota dealership is happiest though.

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Keep hammering that into him. Car maintenance is learned behavior... just like flossing one's teeth. :D

I just upgraded all the toothbrushes in the house to SonicCare electrics.  Should have made the move long ago.  The boys actually enjoy brushing now.

• Heart 1

Just now, jsharr said:

I just upgraded all the toothbrushes in the house to SonicCare electrics.  Should have made the move long ago.  The boys actually enjoy brushing now.

Yeah they really help. Now just make sure the angle of the brush on the gum lines is correct and that investment is going to save you a lot of money.

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

It is entirely accurate.  You have the gas engine and multi electric motors, which means two electric motors.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/toyota/rav4-hybrid/performance

The sole powertrain in the RAV4 Hybrid consists of a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and two electric motors. Together, this setup produces 219 horsepower. A continuously variable automatic transmission comes standard.

The powertrain feels peppy, and it’s more than capable of hauling you around on your daily commute. The transmission shifts smoothly.

Fuel economy estimates of 41 mpg in the city and 38 mpg on the highway help catapult the RAV4 Hybrid toward the top of our hybrid and electric SUV rankings.

• Awesome 1

Just now, jsharr said:

@Dottles you should be ashamed that a Texan is teaching you about the drivetrain in your hippie mobile.   I am not sure you deserve to put a rainbow colored peace sign bumper sticker on it even.

Cut the crap. I am more impressed that you aren't slamming me for using less of your beloved Texas Tea.

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Cut the crap. I am more impressed that you aren't slamming me for using less of your beloved Texas Tea.

I have told my boys that V-8s will go away and electric cars will take over.   I am okay with you leaving more gas to power Wade's Tahoe and my Chrysler.

I get around 30 mpg on the highway but only around 19 in the city.