Car is sick

Dottleshead

23 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Car buying should not be rushed. 

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

He already bought it, he just doesn’t have it.

I put down a thousand dollars to move a car from one lot to another. I go in and see their financial clown on Saturday. I suspect I walk out as the owner then.

4 hours ago, 12string said:

And wasn't it you that said the oil removes the friction heat?  Your links also quite specifically stated that oil cooling was secondary.

"you will seriously damage components".  From friction, not overheating.  

From a whitepaper on a proposed new type of diesel engine, intended to cool with a thermal transfer fluids other than water for army tanks

image.png.587936e5b31e570d325074e67822e0b4.png

Been hitting googles all over, have yet to find one that says oil is the primary means of cooling an auto engine, except in very specific case like dragsters.  You did get me learning some stuff looking this up.

A lot of my initial stuff was original, not looked up but rather learned the hard way.  The links weren't very good as I didn't do a lot of research.  As far as I'm concerned, you cool the hot stuff with oil which then transfers heat to the water and or air cooling systems.  Define it any way you choose.  Take the oil away and the engine burns very quickly.......any engine.  Take the water away and it takes a bit more time to overheat.  Burned engines exhibit damage to piston tops and ring lands.  There are no water passages in those parts.

Sorry...I haven't kept up with this because I try to avoid major car expense..When my 1986 Chevy S-10 went bad..it seized up (more or less) on 35W just north of Minneapolis past the U of M..Oil and water had been mixing..mechanic hoped it wasn't f-ed up but it was... Had a rebuilt engine put in..and  then a flywheel and then the rebuilt engine was replaced again..the second replacement was under the warranty..but the warranty on the replacement only covered the miles left from the first replacement.... I was un-employed for part of this and had been unemployed for a bit. I think I was 4 months at my job when I went looking for a replacement truck...I drove in to the dealership KNOWING I was not driving out that night....I told them I had not heard that sound before :whistle: when they ran the engine...before giving me a trade in...I got a loaner car...while they got my car from a nearby dealer and prepped it....Yeah...the replacement engine was on my credit card...paid for it for a long time....I understand your pain Dottie

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

^^^links are above.  And the answer to this question is that if you remove the water, the engine will run for a while.  If you remove the oil, you will seriously damage components withing minutes if not sooner.  Pistons, rings, rods and bearings do not have water passages.  It's not the friction heat that needs to be removed, it's combustion heat.

5 hours ago, 12string said:

And wasn't it you that said the oil removes the friction heat?  Your links also quite specifically stated that oil cooling was secondary.

"you will seriously damage components".  From friction, not overheating.  

From a whitepaper on a proposed new type of diesel engine, intended to cool with a thermal transfer fluids other than water for army tanks

image.png.587936e5b31e570d325074e67822e0b4.png

Been hitting googles all over, have yet to find one that says oil is the primary means of cooling an auto engine, except in very specific case like dragsters.  You did get me learning some stuff looking this up.

No.

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

and extend my ToyotaCare

I never sign up for extended warranties.  I don’t extend my ToyotaCare.  But that’s me…  I betting my car’s repairs (and maintenance in the case of Toyota Care) will be less than the cost of the extended care cost.

You can wail, and always extend the Toyota Care later.  

My 2016 Prius has 65,000 miles on it.  The only things that have been done; rotate tires, change oil and filter, change the air filter, change the cabin filter, wiper blades and just recently a set of tires.  At 100,000 miles the engine/inverter coolant will be flushed.   Somewhere along the way, the drive belt(s) will need to be replaced too.

I drove my 2005 Prius for 260,815 miles.  In addition to the items above, it needed 1 water pump, 1 front wheel bearing, replace the brakes once at 150,000 miles, spark plugs twice, and replaced the 12 volt battery once. (not the hybrid battery)  And of course, I checked the oil, and had to add oil from time to time, when I had more than 185K miles.

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I never sign up for extended warranties.  I don’t extend my ToyotaCare.  But that’s me…  I betting my car’s repairs (and maintenance in the case of Toyota Care) will be less than the cost of the extended care cost.

You can wail, and always extend the Toyota Care later.  

My 2016 Prius has 65,000 miles on it.  The only things that have been done; rotate tires, change oil and filter, change the air filter, change the cabin filter, wiper blades and just recently a set of tires.  At 100,000 miles the engine/inverter coolant will be flushed.   Somewhere along the way, the drive belt(s) will need to be replaced too.

I drove my 2005 Prius for 260,815 miles.  In addition to the items above, it needed 1 water pump, 1 front wheel bearing, replace the brakes once at 150,000 miles, spark plugs twice, and replaced the 12 volt battery once. (not the hybrid battery)  And of course, I checked the oil, and had to add oil from time to time, when I had more than 185K miles.

I wouldn't call that an extended warranty.  It's a maintenance plan that covers normal factory scheduled service for 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first, and 24 hour Roadside Assistance for 2 years, unlimited mileage.

DealerIcon.svg?w=600

No Cost Maintenance Plan55

•  Maintenance reminders
  •  Engine oil and filter change59
  •  Rotate tires
  •  Multi-point inspection
  •  Inspect and adjust fluid levels
  •  Toyota Genuine Parts
  •  Toyota-trained technicians
towtruck-icon.svg?w=600

Roadside Assistance55

•  Battery jump-starts
  •  Lockout protection
  •  Emergency fuel delivery
  •  Tire service56
  •  Towing58
  •  Winching57

I can get that for like half the price if I took it to third party sources.  I plan on this car lasting me a long time. I've spent my life working around these business snares but when it's my one point of failure, I'm going to do my part to hold these bastards accountable if there's a problem.  Plus I'm giving my car some love.  Again, if I can get maintenance/service for half the price -- then it's worth it to me.   It also means I'm having them look over my car for the first few years -- and as a new hybrid owner -- that gives me some comfort as I get more familiar with the car and learn what kinds of problems I can expect over time.  I'll go back to my mechanic in about 3 years.

11 hours ago, Kzoo said:
11 hours ago, Dottles said:

I save all my poop for @Razors Edge. And trust me, after market isn't going to cut it.

Weathertech isn’t good enough for you?

Yeah - you can just hose them down!  Probably even pressure wash if needed (and we know they would need a good pressure washing now and again!).

24 minutes ago, Dottles said:

What is it about a stupid car?  I'm going to have car payments -- which is the worst -- and yet I'm damn excited.  Something is wrong with me. Saturday can't come soon enough.

The toxic new car smell.  It kills off the brain cells responsible for logic and responsible behavior.

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, Dottles said:

What is it about a stupid car?  I'm going to have car payments -- which is the worst -- and yet I'm damn excited.  Something is wrong with me. Saturday can't come soon enough.

New cars are fun for people that like cars.  Like new bike day, or new knife day, or new watch day or whatever it is that you like.

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

52 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

The toxic new car smell.  It kills off the brain cells responsible for logic and responsible behavior.

48 minutes ago, jsharr said:

New cars are fun for people that like cars.  Like new bike day, or new knife day, or new watch day or whatever it is that you like.

I am not looking forward to the payments at all.  I would never buy brand new if it wasn't for the hybrid.  That technology is changing so fast.  Just from the 2017 models, the MPG has gone up by 7 miles a gallon!  That's substantial.  So to me, it made sense getting the latest and greatest even if that means going in the hole to do it.  However, I can tell you when I'm ready to get a second auto -- it'll be from some place like CarMax.  One can literally save thousands of dollars on a car.

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I am not looking forward to the payments at all.  I would never buy brand new if it wasn't for the hybrid.  That technology is changing so fast.  Just from the 2017 models, the MPG has gone up by 7 miles a gallon!  That's substantial.  So to me, it made sense getting the latest and greatest even if that means going in the hole to do it.  However, I can tell you when I'm ready to get a second auto -- it'll be from some place like CarMax.  One can literally save thousands of dollars on a car.

I paid less than half of window sticker for my two year old Chrysler 300.  

Obviously with the RAV4 I think I am making a really good bet on reliability and expect it to be around 200-300k or more. I am also betting that gas prices continue to go up in the 10 years, and I'm betting that local and national municipalities start phasing out gas cars or make it ridiculously expensive to own one. If this is the case, I suspect that hybrids will get leniency... at least initially. If not, I have a great car to compensate the amount of miles we put on it.

Beyond that, I'm dead.

13 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Obviously with the RAV4 I think I am making a really good bet on reliability and expect it to be around 200-300k or more.

Based on my experience with Toyota, this is a good bet.

I am also betting that gas prices continue to go up in the 10 years,

I'm betting that will happen too.  

If this is the case, I suspect that hybrids will get leniency... at least initially.

When you do you 2020 income tax, be sure to see of the RAV4 can get you a credit on your taxes.   My 2005 Prius did. My 2016, no.

I'm betting that local and national municipalities start phasing out gas cars or make it ridiculously expensive to own one.

Our state did just the opposite.  They figured out that the taxes on gas are going to be no existent for electric cars,.  So they are taxing electric cars extra.

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/electric_vehicle.html 

They should have done something else, like tax per miles driven each year for any car.  At least that would only tax the people who drive on the roads.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Our state did just the opposite.  They figured out that the taxes on gas are going to be no existent for electric cars,.  So they are taxing electric cars extra.

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/electric_vehicle.html 

They should have done something else, like tax per miles driven each year for any car.  At least that would only tax the people who drive on the roads.

The first is the "easy" way and least likely to get voters in an uproar (more folks drive standard ICE than hybrids or electric).  The second is more difficult to implement and causes IMMEDIATE anger in folks who drive a lot. Soon, they all turn and focus their rage on bicyclists!

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

The first is the "easy" way and least likely to get voters in an uproar (more folks drive standard ICE than hybrids or electric).  The second is more difficult to implement and causes IMMEDIATE anger in folks who drive a lot.

If I recall, the original tax for an electric car was $1000 per year.   That must have caused some kind or uproar, because the tax is now $100.

16 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

If I recall, the original tax for an electric car was $1000 per year.   That must have caused some kind or uproar, because the tax is now $100.

Yeah I'm not seeing much these days. We will for sure look. Probably Google it shortly but for sure they aren't advertising it.

40 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

All-electric and plug-in hybrid cars purchased in or after 2010 may be eligible for a federal income tax credit of up to $7,500. The credit amount will vary based on the capacity of the battery used to power the vehicle. State and/or local incentives may also apply.

Looks like you need to go plug in to get the break. I'm middle of the road with a mild hybrid. My state is not offering.

"Mild hybrids are generally cars with an internal combustion engine equipped with an electric machine allowing the engine to be turned off whenever the car is coasting, braking, or stopped, yet restart quickly."

Wikipedia

10 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Looks like you need to go plug in to get the break. I'm middle of the road with a mild hybrid. My state is not offering.

Yeah, I don't recall the plain jane hybrids ever getting a tax break. They did get HOV exemptions for years, but that went away as they became more popular.

The tax breaks also have limits, so if you buy a popular electric car like a Tesla, you may get it too late to qualify if the cap is hit.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

I'm betting that local and national municipalities start phasing out gas cars or make it ridiculously expensive to own one.

You are either drunk or live on the Left Coast.  First the Big Gulp and now a gas car.  Next thing you know I won't be allow to use a plastic straw.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

You are either drunk or live on the Left Coast.  First the Big Gulp and now a gas car.  Next thing you know I won't be allow to use a plastic straw.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Or a plastic bag for your groceries

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Thanks - I forgot about that one.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Or french fries with your school lunch

In Texas, our school kids get extra time at the gun range if they get a ride to school in a car with a V-8, bring their lunch to school in a plastic bag, buy french fries from the cafeteria and drink their Coke (or Dr. Pepper) with a plastic straw.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, jsharr said:

In Texas, our school kids get extra time at the gun range if they get a ride to school in a car with a V-8, bring their lunch, to school in a plastic bag, buy french fries from the cafeteria and drink their Coke (or Dr. Pepper) with a plastic straw.

Real 'mericans.